NFL 2008 Season

Kelverin

The wife despises football with a passion, so I normally don't get to see the games, but she's gone until around 6pm tonight, so I might get a chance to see the Titans/Ravens game. I don't know that I'll sit and watch the whole thing beginning to end, but maybe keep taking peeks at it. I don't really care about the NFC game. Now that the Dolphins are out, I'll just root for the AFC in the superbowl anyhow.

Baltimore wins the battle of the douchebag franchises, too many missteps for Tenn.

Say what you will about Kerry Collins and how he manages the game, the Titans lack any sort of dynamic with him at QB.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

this game was more about Jake Delomme being an assclown then Warner's greatness.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

"Say what you will about Kerry Collins and how he manages the game, the Titans lack any sort of dynamic with him at QB."

Nah. Tennesee lost for more reasons than Collins. It's not like his counterpart played exceptionally well, either. Collins just hates playing Baltimore in the playoffs.

"this game was more about Jake Delomme being an assclown then Warner's greatness."

Wrong. The better team won. Unlike BAL and TEN which was an even match up; Ariz - despite the record - is avstly sueprior to Carolina and the rest of the overrated South and their inflated bugaboo records. Warner hasn't won a SB by accident and been to another one he barely lost. Pantehrs are a joke. They're not just not good enough for the playoffs.

Now I have to cross my fingers, and hope my Giants break the trend we're seeing. It won't be easy. L0L

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, so far I got it right on the Ravens, but I was dead wrong on Arizona. We have to give credit to the Cards, but I think Laozi has a point. I didn't see the game, but five interceptions and a fumble? Arizona might deserve the win, but the Panthers completely choked. In the spirit of diplomacy, I'll say it was equallly that Warner played a great game and Delhomme was an "assclown." UGLY night of football for the Panthers and Delhomme most of all.

Arizona won because they were better. Isn't that the point? This who 'choking' thing is nonsensical. Those turnovers weren't just Delhomme's fault because the Cards' D played well. Give THEM credit.

Did you watch Delhomme play Volourn? He looked terrible. Are you trying to say that both Warner and Delhomme gave it 100 percent, and Warner was just better? I would say Warner is a better QB, but that just seems like a simplistic view of football. They aren't the only two guys on the field.

I'm extremely excited to see the Cards play another week. Fitzgerald is just pure magic out there, and I'm betting Boldin will be ready to roll next week. Arizona definitely is due, 38 years!

You misunderstand me. I think Arizona should get credit for the win, no matter what happened. The defense clearly managed to throw a wrench in the Panthers' offense. ...But Delhomme still choked. If folks don't like the term "choked," then I submit that the QB succumbed to the pressure the defense put on him and his game deteriorated.

"Did you watch Delhomme play Volourn? He looked terrible. Are you trying to say that both Warner and Delhomme gave it 100 percent, and Warner was just better? I would say Warner is a better QB, but that just seems like a simplistic view of football. They aren't the only two guys on the field."

Perhaps yopu missed the fact of me giving kudos to the Cards' defense, right?

Aristes: Call it whatever you want; but 'choking' is a myth. Delhomme played poorly. That's it. He, and his team got outplayed by a team that - at the very least - was the better team this game. Choking is a myth.

So far, Ken Wisenhunt and his staff in Arizona have really done a fantastic job this postseason. Their playcalling on offense and defense has been spot-on in how it attacks the weaknesses of the opposing squad.

Go Big Blue!

Figure this one. If the Giants lay an egg out there today the NFC championship game will be played in Arizona. Those are some words I'd bet you thought you would never hear in the same sentance.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"I'm curios to hear what Volourn's definition fo choking is?"

You have something stuck in your in throat, you make funny noises, and you cna't breathe. Usually occurs when you try to swallow without chewing. Also occurs in circumsatnces where you can choke on your vomit - much like I nearly do every time I hear someone mention choking in regards to sports.

If we called it "tomato," it would have the meaning we attribute to it. ...And some games are played by both teams at their best. They both make great plays. The offense puts in a solid performance and the defense keeps the opposing team from scoring points. One team wins, but both teams look good. Some games, one team looks good and the other team looks bad. Normally, when we see a team that has performed well all season go into a playoff game or at least a game where its all on the line and make a bunch of stupid mistakes, folks call it choking. It's a term in wide use and your crusade against it won't prevent the use in the future. I know you're a sturdy guy and you're willing to post after post after post after post in order to last word the other guy. Turns out I am also. So, as often as you get hung up on the word "choke," I'll be here to tell you that "choke" is indeed what Delhomme did. The pressure was too much and he threw more interceptions than I've seen in a playoff game in a long time.

I'm not using the word choke as a means to steal Arizona's well deserved victory. They played the better game and they looked good doing it. ...At least that's what I get from the score and the highlights. However, no matter what manner of word we use to describe it, Delhomme played well all year and then fell to pieces in a vital game. Because we humans are lazy, we've come up with a quick way to describe this situation. It's "choke." I'm not attributing any pseudo mystical meaning to the term. I'm just saying that they got up there and performed worse than they did during the regular season.

I have a different opinion. I hope you don't choke on it.

Edited by Aristes

"Delhomme played well all year and then fell to pieces in a vital game"

He's had poor regular seeason games, too. *shrug* Nothing mystical about the playoffs.

They won because they were better than their opponents. Nothing mystical about it.

And, oh, Giants coaches should be punished for their lazy cowardice on that last drive. They basically gave Philly 3 free points. Morons.

It's a good thing Eli Manning didn't choke, or things could have gotten real ugly in the Giants game.

Steve Smith had one of the funniest moments I've seen this season. I can't believe they penalized McNabb for picking up the phone, that was hilarious.

Cards-Eagles should be fun to watch!

"I'm not attributing any pseudo mystical meaning to the term."

"He's had poor regular seeason games, too."

"Then why have playoffs at all? Right? Nothing mystical about them, so let's just use stats to decide which team is better. There's nothing mystical about the superbowl. Just a game like any particular game during the regular season."

"Are you saying the playoffs are mystical? HAHA!"

Can't get your point across without putting words in my mouth, huh? No, it's not mystical, but it certainly is a high profile game and the dynamics of the human psyche might work a little different for a playoff game than in a regular season game. So, Delhomme choked.

If I were the Steelers, I'd look over my shoulder about now. Looks like a real Wildcard weekend.

EDIT: Since I'm the person who used the term mystical first, and to deny any aspect of mysticism in the whole ordeal, I figured I'd quote that usage also.

Edited by Aristes

There is quite a bit of mystery, or mysticism, in the NFL playoffs. Otherwise the team with the best record would win the Superbowl every year. Talent has a lot to do with getting deep in the postseason, but the most talented team doesn't always win.

But Volourn's world is made up of absolutes, so there ya go.