NFL 2008 Season

Kelverin

People who send hate mail over soemthing like this are scumbags, and are dumber than any ref who makes a horrible call. Period.

P.S. My Giants seem a tad confident... maybe, too much...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's amazing how close the guys who make the spread get sometimes. :lol:

actually, the spread is set by the betting more than anything. oddsmakers pick the initial odds (spreads) and then adjust as bets are placed. if a line is 7 points, and everyone is taking the 7 points, they'll start to adjust the spread down until more bets are taking the favorite. this way they guarantee they always break even on the bets, pulling the "juice" for commission. the same thing happens with horse betting. it's almost like a collective consciousness that decides what the spread really is. what gets in the way is unusual happenings like missouri fumbles resulting in two buffalo touchdowns saturday... grrr (missouri still won by 21, but they didn't beat the spread which was 33 1/2).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Ahh.. NFL.. trying to control what their employees do on their free time including their rights for freedom of speech. That's just barbage. If I were him or any other NFLer, I'd tell them to zip it!

A big star should do it.. let's see how much NFL will flex their muscles there.. I wonder what NFL would do if it was Peyton Manning or Brett favre doing it. Oh yeah, nothing. Favre was talking all summer, and not one word from the NFL except the usual "I hope GB, and Favre can come to some sort of udnerstanding."

HAHAHAHA!

it's not a free speech issue at all. these guys have contracts. they are expected to uphold their end of the contract, which includes media presence. the same goes for players and coaches as well. favre's talking all summer had no impact on how the league is perceived. a ref talking about blown calls, on the other hand, makes the league look bad.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

*yawn* It's about free speech. The NFL is about treating people like servants. And, wrong. The Favre situation did effect how the NFL was perceived. Nice try, though.

We've had this fight before, and your arguments haven't improved.

The NFL is an entertainment business that makes most of its money by selling broadcasts to TV networks who, in turn, sell advertising space during those broadcasts. As with any other business in the entertainment industry, the NFL is quite rightly very conscious of its public image. Part of that consciousness includes paying attention to what its employees say to the media. This is no different than any other entertainment industry-- if an actor in a stage play expressed his opinion publicly that the script they're working with completely sucks, you better believe that the producers would have some words with him, if not fire him outright.

Right, and in Favre's case he hadn't been reinstated so he wasn't obligated to keep his mouth shut by being under contract. Regardless, most NFL fans see the situation as unfortunate but one of Favre's own making, he definitely took the bigger hit.

In other news, we can all breath a little easier, Brian Westbrook's MRI on his ankle came out negative, he might even play against the Bears. http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Tas...?story_id=16227

Good to see the league keep its best player.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

L0L Westbrook as NFL's best player. HAHAHAHA!

That's even funnier than defending the NFL's right to 'curb' free speech. And, don't deny it. That's exactly what they are doing.

I know you're trying Volourn so I'll give you a softball.

1,333 yrds. rushing + 771 yrs. receiving = more then anyone else.

You're trying in earnest to troll and I get that, but the key to being an effective troll is picking good topics where your opinion isn't totally pedestrian. Look for better subjects to apply your vaunted bitchy attitude towards and we'll both come out ahead.

roofies, is it?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

"I know you're trying Volourn so I'll give you a softball.

1,333 yrds. rushing + 771 yrs. receiving = more then anyone else.

You're trying in earnest to troll and I get that,"

Your claiming that Westbrook is a sueprior player compared to guys like Manning (either one, actually) or Brady yet I'm the troll? Give me a break. Westbrook isn't even in the top 10 for top players in the league.

Westbrook is possibly not even the best player on his own team. Let alone the division, conference, or entire league.

Stop trolling such nonsense if you don't want a response next time. L0L

*Cough*

How about discussing Ice Hockey and leave out the personal jabs?

That also goes for implied ridiculing of fellow posters ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How about discussing Ice Hockey
Football even. Point taken however...

Of course I knew that. Just checking if people were paying attention.Thats it, yes... ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

For my money, Brian Westbrook is the best running back in the NFL. (And I'm a Giants fan.) I have no idea how one can meaningfully compare players who play different positions, so I'll leave it at that.

Wow, the Raiders are a seriously screwed-up organization. I mean, there are other teams that suck worse than they do, but, outside of teams with GMs whose names rhyme with "Schmatt Schmillen," is there any franchise out there with less hope of turning it around in another season or two?

Volo: A quick question-- if an employee folding shirts at the Gap spends her entire shift chatting with customers about the company's suppliers' sweatshop labor practices, can/should the Gap management discipline or fire her? Or is that too repressive of her "free speech" rights?

"Volo: A quick question-- if an employee folding shirts at the Gap spends her entire shift chatting with customers about the company's suppliers' sweatshop labor practices, can/should the Gap management discipline or fire her? Or is that too repressive of her "free speech" rights?"

if she's on her shift, she should be working. They're paying her to work. If she has a problem with the company's labopur practices why is she even working there? She, however, has the right to say what she wants when she is off company time. ie. When she's at home. Afterall, if she's spending her entire shift chatting then she's obviously not working which means she's not doing her job. Fire her.

The ref was likely not working when he was 'interviewed' since his job is reffing games so it becomes a free speech issue because he's not working.

P.S. Just ebcause soemthing is in a contratc doesn't make it legally binding, btw. It has to pass certain legal threshholds.

Edited by Volourn

Marc Bulger is out as St. Louis Rams starting quarterback LINK

Chiefs Edwards hints toward starting Huard over Thigpen LINK

Cleveland BrownsCrennel considering change, will have Quinn ready LINK

49ers Shawntae Spencer has torn ligament in his left knee, which will require season-ending surgery and will result in his placement on injured reserve.

LINK

Cincinnati Bengals Jamar Fletcher (CB) signed (one-year contract). Geoffrey Pope (CB) cut.

Denver Broncos Vernon Fox (S) signed. Hamza Abdullah (S) cut.

Tom Nalen © Placed on IR (knee). LINK

San Diego Chargers Ian Scott (DT) signed. DeJuan Tribble (CB) cut.

New Orleans Saints Jamar Nesbit (G) suspended (four games by nfl for substance abuse). LINK

Chicago Bears Marcus Hamilton (CB) acquired from waivers. Mark Bradley (WR) cut. Brandon McGowan (S) Placed on IR (ankle). Joey LaRocque (LB) Activated from the Practice Squad.

New York Jets Ben Graham (P) re-signed. Marcus Henry (WR) cut. Brett Favre has a sprained ankle LINK

New England Patriots Kyle Eckel (RB) cut.

Indianapolis Colts Jamie Silva (S) Activated from the Practice Squad.

Pittsburgh Steelers Gary Russell (RB) cut. Patrick Bailey (LB) Activated from the Practice Squad.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Marcus Hamilton (CB) Activated from the Practice Squad.

New Orleans Saints Alvin McKinley (DT) cut. Joey Harrington (QB) signed.

Oakland Raiders Ben Troupe (TE) signed.

It's about time

Millen out as Lions president, GM

LINK

Trouble in Giant land?

The New York Giants will not have the services of their most electrifying offensive weapon when they play Seattle after their bye week. WR Plaxico Burress will miss the game, not because of injury, but rather insubordination.

LINK

Parker, Hampton out for Steelers vs. Ravens

LINK