NFL 2008 Season

Kelverin

Is there an OEI Forum FF League I don't know about?!

Considering that Henry was signed shortly after Chad suffered a knee injury, and that Henry will have to serve a 4-game suspension before he can actually take the field, there are concerns that Chad's injury is much more serious than anyone has let on just yet. (Teams aren't actually required to publish accurate injury data in the preseason like they are in the regular season.)

Is there an OEI Forum FF League I don't know about?!

It's from Missy's Lair from long ago, year 5 I believe. 8 teams.

Teams aren't actually required to publish accurate injury data in the preseason like they are in the regular season.)

Accurate is the key word. LT is listed as injured every preseason game (he has to be), but in reality he is fine.

Yeah, that really really sucks. For all the talk about what a genius Spagnuolo (the def. coordinator) was, the real secret to the Giants success was simply having 3 pass rushing linemen who required a double-team to block effectively. Now 2 of those 3 are out for 2008. They get Matthias Kiwanuka back (who was on IR for the playoffs last year), so he'll probably play a lot at Osi's spot on passing downs. But there's no way that defense will be as effective without Umenyiora in there.

Well, I guess we can still hope. The starting DTs have been looking very good in the preseason (Barry Cofield in particular looks much quicker than he did last season), so maybe they'll be able to compensate for this loss on the outside with a stronger push up the middle.

Strahan would consider returning, Giants open to idea

"Former New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan would consider returning to the team in the wake of Osi Umenyiora's season-ending knee injury, the New York Daily News has reported, citing an unnamed source."

LINK

I would like to see him come back, for some strange reason I think it would be cool for him and Favre to retire together and get into the Hall of Fame together as well.

Today is the day. August 26 - Roster reduction to 75 players

This is an old story, but I just found it.

New NFL rules for 2008

"A number of 2008 playing-rules changes were adopted by NFL owners at the NFL Annual Meeting in late March. Following are the changes, with comments from NFL head coaches and executives"

LINK

Despite what you might have heard, Warner has yet to be named Cardnials starting QB

Link

San Diego Chargers Steve Gregory (CB) signed four-year extention (through 2011).

Jyles Tucker (LB) signed five-year extension (through 2012). This might be the replacement for Shawne Merriman,whose contract expires in 2009 and will demand BIG$$$$$$$$ San Diego is notorious for letting go superstar athletes, plus the front office is none to happy with him at this time.

Green Bay Packers DeShawn Wynn (RB) cut. Chris Francies (WR) cut. Justin Harrell (DT) Placed on the physically unable to perform list.

Pittsburgh Steelers Jeremy Bloom (WR) cut.

Jacksonville Jaguars Chris Liwienski (G) cut. Ciatrick Fason (RB) signed.

Arizona Cardinals Jemalle Cornelius (WR) cut.

Kansas City Chiefs Jay Feely (K) signed. Michael Merritt (TE) signed/draft choice (three-year contract).

Carolina Panthers Curtis Deloatch (CB) cut. Lester Ricard (QB) cut. Jason Carter (WR) Placed on IR (knee).

Oakland Raiders Marviel Underwood (S) signed. Luke Lawton (RB) acquired from waivers. Greg Spires (DE) cut. Grant Irons (LB) cut. Jarrod Cooper (S) cut. Oren O'Neal (RB) Placed on IR (left knee). Drew Carter (WR) Placed on IR (left knee).

New Orleans Saints Rob Hunt (G) cut. Kevin Dudley (RB) cut. Curome Cox (S) cut.

Washington Redskins Matt Sinclair (LB) cut. Burl Toler (WR) cut.

Minnesota Vikings Derrick Pope (LB) cut.

Dallas Cowboys Quincy Butler (CB) cut.

Denver Broncos Josh Mallard (DE) cut. Samie Parker (WR) cut.

Edited by Kelverin

Cowboys' Jones reinstated by NFL, eligible for regular season

NFL.com Wire Reports

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam Jones was reinstated to the NFL by Commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday and is eligible to play in regular season games.

"This is another step in the process," Jones said in a statement. "I am very grateful for this opportunity, and I understand my responsibilities to the Dallas Cowboys and the National Football League. Right now I just want to keep working hard so I can accomplish the goals that I have set for myself both on and off the field."

Jones, who was suspended for the entire 2007 season, had been participating in preseason games with the Cowboys, but had been awaiting word on reinstatement after sending a letter to Goodell asking to be allowed to play this season.

"Adam has worked hard to get to this point, but he also knows that there is still a lot of work ahead of him," Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. "He is fully aware of the opportunity that he has been given, and he knows that this is an ongoing process."

Since his offseason trade from the Tennessee Titans in the spring, Jones has participated in the Cowboys' player development program and has tried to surround himself with better people. He's also pledged to donate school uniforms to grade-schoolers in Dallas.

"I didn't do them to influence the commissioner. I did them to better myself as a person," Jones said. "They were normally things that I have been doing besides staying out of trouble. That's what I'm trying to do."

The NFL suspended Jones in April 2007 following an accumulation of arrests and legal problems. He has been arrested six times and involved in a dozen incidents requiring police intervention since the Titans drafted him in the first round in 2005.

Jones, who hasn't played in an NFL game since the Titans' season finale on Dec. 31, 2006, received partial reinstatement from the league on June 2 and was allowed to participate in the Cowboys' practices, training camp and preseason games.

"Commissioner Goodell told Jones that his continued participation in the NFL depends on demonstrating that he can conduct himself in a lawful and reliable manner," the NFL said in a statement on June 2. "Jones will be expected to continue the personal conduct program established by the NFL and the Cowboys and to avoid further adverse involvement with law enforcement."

WooHoo. I hope. :lol:

Edited by Gfted1

August 30 - Roster reduction to 53 players

New Orleans Saints Adrian Arrington (WR) Placed on IR (turf toe).

New England Patriots Steve Fifita (DT) cut.

Jeff Shoate (CB) cut.

Jimmy Martin (G) cut.

Philadelphia Eagles Therrian Fontenot (CB) cut.

Bam Childress (WR) cut.

Marcus Paschal (S) cut.

Stefan Rodgers (G) cut.

Ryan Moats (RB) cut.

Jamal Jones (WR) cut.

Nick Graham (CB) cut.

St. Louis Rams Jerome Carter (S) cut.

Donovan Raiola © cut.

Tanard Davis (CB) cut.

Marques Hagans (WR) cut.

Houston Texans Shane Boyd (QB) cut.

Darius Walker (RB) cut.

Anthony Maddox (DT) cut.

Glenn Earl (S) cut.

Rosevelt Colvin (LB) cut.

Mark Simmons (WR) cut.

LeRon McCoy (WR) cut.

Dexter Wynn (CB) cut.

Derrick Roberson (CB) cut.

Jamar Fletcher (CB) cut.

Greg Eslinger © cut.

Kevis Coley (LB) cut.

Alex Brink (QB) cut.

Minnesota Vikings Bryant McKinnie (T) suspended (four game by nfl for personal conduct).

Carolina Panthers Josh McCown (QB) traded (for 2009 draft choice).

Tonight it starts again, the 89th season of the NFL.

9/4 7:00 ET At NY Giants -4.5 Washington

I'll take the Giants for the win, minus the points.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Status Report

OUT WR Malcolm Kelly (knee)

DOUBTFUL S Kareem Moore (hamstring)

QUESTIONABLE LB/DE Jason Taylor (knee)

PROBABLE LB Khary Campbell (thigh), S LaRon Landry (hamstring), WR Antwaan Randle El (hand), CB Shawn Springs (calf)

Practice Report (Team conducted walk-through on Wednesday)

OUT (DEFINITELY WILL NOT PLAY)

Wednesday WR Malcolm Kelly (knee)

DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN PRACTICE

Monday WR Malcolm Kelly (knee), S Kareem Moore (hamstring), LB/DE Jason Taylor (knee)

Tuesday WR Malcolm Kelly (knee), S Kareem Moore (hamstring), CB Shawn Springs (calf)

Wednesday S Kareem Moore (hamstring), CB Shawn Springs (calf)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE

Monday LB Khary Campbell (thigh)

Tuesday LB/DE Jason Taylor (knee)

Wednesday LB/DE Jason Taylor (knee)

FULL PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE

Monday S LaRon Landry (hamstring), WR Antwaan Randle El (hand)

Tuesday LB Khary Campbell (thigh), S LaRon Landry (hamstring), WR Antwaan Randle El (hand)

Wednesday LB Khary Campbell (thigh), S LaRon Landry (hamstring), WR Antwaan Randle El (hand)

NEW YORK GIANTS

Status Report

OUT LB Jonathan Goff (back), CB Terrell Thomas (hamstring), K Lawrence Tynes (left knee)

QUESTIONABLE WR Domenik Hixon (back)

PROBABLE RB Ahmad Bradshaw (calf)

Practice Report (Team conducted walk-through on Wednesday)

OUT (DEFINITELY WILL NOT PLAY)

Monday LB Jonathan Goff (back), CB Terrell Thomas (hamstring)

Tuesday LB Jonathan Goff (back), CB Terrell Thomas (hamstring)

Wednesday LB Jonathan Goff (back), CB Terrell Thomas (hamstring), K Lawrence Tynes (left knee)

DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN PRACTICE

Monday WR Domenik Hixon (back), K Lawrence Tynes (left knee)

Tuesday K Lawrence Tynes (left knee)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE

Tuesday WR Domenik Hixon (back)

Wednesday WR Domenik Hixon (back)

FULL PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE

Wednesday RB Ahmad Bradshaw (calf)

Edited by Kelverin

Yay! Football's back, and it started where it left off in February-- with a Giants victory!

The Redskins' offense looked pretty awful. I know it's the first game under a new system, but there wasn't much room for optimism in that performance.

The rest of this weeks schedule

Sun, Sep 07 Time (ET)

DET @ ATL 1:00 PM

CIN @ BAL 1:00 PM

SEA @ BUF 1:00 PM

STL @ PHI 1:00 PM

JAC @ TEN 1:00 PM

HOU @ PIT 1:00 PM

TB @ NO 1:00 PM

KC @ NE 1:00 PM

NYJ @ MIA 1:00 PM

DAL @ CLE 4:15 PM

CAR @ SD 4:15 PM

ARI @ SF 4:15 PM

CHI @ IND 8:15 PM

Mon, Sep 08 Time (ET)

MIN @ GB 7:00 PM

DEN @ OAK 10:15 PM

CB Jones starter for Cowboys ?

LINK

Baltimore Ravens Willie Anderson (T) signed (three-year contract). Hopes to play vs. Bengals

Matt Katula © signed (five-year contract). Evan Oglesby (CB) signed.

Anwar Phillips (CB) cut.

Buffalo Bills Blake Costanzo (LB) signed. Angelo Crowell (LB) Placed on IR (left knee). LT Peters to end holdout LINK

Minnesota Vikings 9/5 Kyle Shotwell (LB) practice squad addition. Martail Burnett (DE) practice squad deletion.

Jacksonville Jaguars Charles Spencer (T) signed.

Carolina Panthers Angelo Craig (DE) practice squad deletion. Geoff Schwartz (T) practice squad addition.

New England Patriots Jason Pociask (TE) cut. Reggie Hodges (P) practice squad addition. Tyson DeVree (TE) practice squad deletion.

Stephen Spach (TE) re-signed.

Houston Texans Brandon Frye (T) practice squad addition.

New Orleans Saints Olaniyi Sobomehin (RB) practice squad addition. Josh Savage (DE) practice squad addition.

Chicago Bears Zackary Bowman (CB) practice squad addition.

Cleveland Browns Antwan Peek (LB) Placed on IR (knee). Shantee Orr (LB) signed.

Denver Broncos Cecil Sapp (RB) Taken off IR (left quadriceps). Cecil Sapp (RB) cut.

New York Giants Plaxico Burress (WR) signed (two-year extension (through 2012)).

Oakland Raiders Daunte Culpepper (QB) retired. LINK

Glenn Pakulak (P) practice squad deletion.

Atlanta Falcons Glenn Sharpe (CB) practice squad addition.

Pittsburgh Steelers Dezmond Sherrod (TE) practice squad addition.

Miami Dolphins Tyson Smith (LB) practice squad addition.

Jacksonville Jaguars Paul Smith (QB) practice squad addition.

Condolences to Kelv, but the ending to that CAR-SD game was freakin' awesome.

Brady's injury sucks for his teammates and the fans. But I don't feel too sorry for Tom himself-- it just gives him more time to stay home with Gisele.

Condolences to Kelv

It's all good. I had a bad feeling about this game anyway. The Chargers think they can just show up and win. They were dominated on both sides of the ball, out coached and it looked like out conditioned/prepared as well. After a 1-3 start last year I am not that worried about how we start, the end is what's important. It's a looooooooong season.

It's all good. I had a bad feeling about this game anyway. The Chargers think they can just show up and win. They were dominated on both sides of the ball, out coached and it looked like out conditioned/prepared as well. After a 1-3 start last year I am not that worried about how we start, the end is what's important. It's a looooooooong season.

Yeah, I remember thinking that Carolina might just win that game when I saw how many of SD's starting offensive linemen would be out. I'm actually a bit upset that I didn't get to see more of it-- my local Fox affiliate made the quite silly decision to stick with the DAL-CLE blowout until the final gun.