NFL 2008 Season

Kelverin

Urlacher to get raise with revised contract

"According to sources, Urlacher and the Bears have come to terms on a revised contract, which includes a one-year extension, thus ending their offseason contract squabble.

Urlacher, 30, had four years and approximately $25.5 million remaining on his contract. Under the terms of the upgraded deal, Urlacher will receive a $6 million signing bonus along with a $1 million bump in salary each of the next four years. The sides also have agreed to extend the pact into 2012, at a salary of $7.5 million. Urlacher can earn an additional $500,000 in a workout bonus in 2012."

LINK

Allen to return?

"San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan said he believes guard Larry Allen might consider postponing his retirement to return for his 15th NFL season."

Link

Redskins lock up all draft picks

Link

Happy about the Skins getting all their draft picks signed. I'm happy about Colt Brennan especially because I want to see if he can do something with the chance he's given. He was certainly more than impressive in college, however playing in the NFL is hardly playing in the WAC.

Well.. bottom line. there's nothing GB cna really do. If Favre wants to unretire he can unretire. So, they're gonna have to pay him big bucks eitehr way. Since GB has made it clear that they think Favre sucks and can't help him and they wnat him in the trash can, they might as well get rid of the trash.

One team's trash is another team's gift horse.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Nope, theya re saying that. They've mad eit quite clear that theyf eel Rogers is a better QB hence Favre sucks.,... unless youa re amditting they are puposely trying to tank this season by stubbornly sticking with the worse QB?

Nope, they feel Favre trash. imo, You should retire when you can no longer play at a high level. Favre - depsite his gaffe vs the Giants - can do that.

Nope, theya re saying that. They've mad eit quite clear that theyf eel Rogers is a better QB hence Favre sucks.,... unless youa re amditting they are puposely trying to tank this season by stubbornly sticking with the worse QB?

Nope, they feel Favre trash. imo, You should retire when you can no longer play at a high level. Favre - depsite his gaffe vs the Giants - can do that.

I have yet to see a GB official quoted "Favre Sucks" I understand their reasoning, although if it was my decision to make I would take him back....yesterday

Of course they won't say that. How many times has a team officially flat out said x player sucks? Even when a team cuts a player 'cause he's not good enough; they don't flat out say he sucks. They pretty much just say it didn't work, he needs to working on some things, not a good fit, etc., etc.

That doesn't mean that isn't what they believe. GB has made it very clear that they think Rogers is a better QB than Favre. That's a joke, and an insult to any Gb fan who wants their team to do the best they can.

But how many more seasons is Favre going to play?

The issue here is whether you are going to plan for the long term or have one or two great seasons and pay the price after that. If Favre had never retired, it wouldn't be an issue, but now it is. You have a young QB who may or may not be good, and he was told for the last few seasons that when Favre retires this will become his team. Well, Favre retired. Rodgers has been waiting for 3 seasons for his shot, and it looked like he was going to get it. But now Favre is unretiring.

This is an extremely difficult situation for the Packers front office. There is no clear choice to be made. Rodgers or Favre isn't about who is better, it's about short term (Favre) or long term (Rodgers). It's made even more difficult by the fact that Rodgers is unproven and might not even survive in the NFL.

And they will lose Rodgers if they start Favre. Maybe not from the roster, but the guy would need to be traded. He wouldn't have any reason to play for the Packers at that point, all loyalty would be out the window. Athletes aren't too effective when they don't like the organization they are playing for.

Edited by Hurlshot

let's not forget that this is Rodgers last year of his rookie contract ... who's to say he is long term either? this could all depend if he stays healthy for the yer and has a good season.

i'm thinking our draft pick qb is our future in GB (I forget his name off hand, but remember he was highly rated).

If Favre doesn't want to sit on the bench for 12 mil a year ... I'll take his spot lol

I respect him as an athlete and a player, but it time to drop this drama and move on ...... trade him or whatever, I wish Favre the best whatever becomes of the situation ....... :(:o:o

News Main E-mail

Favre expected to submit letter of reinstatement to NFL

By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

During a telephone conversation Thursday with Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson, quarterback Brett Favre conveyed he is planning to return to the Packers and report to training camp this weekend.

If he follows through on his plans, Favre is expected to fax a letter seeking reinstatment to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell as early as Friday, before the Packers report to camp on Saturday.

However, just because Favre is now planning to return to the Packers, doesn't mean the saga is over. This is a story that has had so many twists and turns, it is conceivable it could change again. It has repeatedly in the more than four months since Favre announced his retirement.

At any point this summer, with the situation as tenuous as it is, Favre still could decide to walk away from the game again or Green Bay could decide to trade him to one of the teams it spoke with this week.

The two teams that have been most receptive to listening to the Packers in their trade discussions for Favre are the New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Jets even have received permission to speak with Favre, but had not done so as of Friday afternoon.

Even if the Packers were to trade Favre to either one of those teams, he would not be obligated to report; think back to when Denver traded quarterback Jake Plummer to the Buccaneers. Plummer decline to report, the Buccaneers placed him on the reserve/did not report list, and Plummer eventually repaid the Buccaneers $3.5 million worth of bonus money.

If Favre were traded and before he were to report to another team, he would have to give his blessing to a deal with the Jets, Buccaneers or anyone else. To date, he has not. Either team, the Jets or Buccaneers, would have to recruit Favre and convince him why their city was right for him. None of this happened yet, though discussions could heat up shortly.

For now, Favre is planning to go back to the Packers, with the intention of spending this season with them.

There is plenty of smoothing over to be done, however that process already has kicked off. Favre and Thompson's conversation was said to be cordial and professional, and the Packers recognize that they are a better team with their iconic quarterback on their roster.

Thompson even said during Thursday's annual shareholder's meeting that families have disagreements, but they overcome them. Now the Packers and Favre are trying to do the same.

Favre will try to return to the life that he has known and loved in Green Bay. He never sold his house in Green Bay, never removed the furniture from the house, never moved his cars from the area, and will be able to step back into the life he once knew.

But there will be an adjustment on the football field. The Packers had appointed Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback and Favre will have to beat him out this summer, an idea once as unthinkable as Favre being traded. With a base salary of $12 million, Favre could become the most expensive backup in the history of football.

And it's not as if Favre is coming off a disappointing season. Last season, Favre threw 28 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, was voted as a Pro Bowl starter, received NFL MVP votes and was the Packers Team MVP. At 38, Favre has shown few, if any, signs of slipping.

Then there is this interesting subplot. Favre has started a record 253 straight games, 275 including the playoffs -- a streak that could be in jeopardy. Packers coach Mike McCarthy soon could be faced with the situation of making the decision that could snap one of football's most prestigious and illustrious records.

But those are decisions for another day. For today, a more notable decision has been made. Just as Kobe Bryant decided to return to the Los Angeles Lakers last year when many thought he wouldn't, Favre is heading back to the hallowed place many thought he wouldn't.

Bottom line, which has become more and more obvious in recent weeks:

Favre isn't ready to pack it in.

*sigh*

What. a. tool.

Yeah, that Shockey one surprised me. Isnt that the exact same offer they turned down from the Saints a few months ago?

Yes. To the letter.

Not necessarily. Something in that area was leaked, but I don't think it was ever confirmed that this offer was on the table during the draft. And there were reports of a mini-camp shouting match between the TE and management, which probably lowered the team's assessment of his value somewhat. Anyhow, it's a more-than-fair price for Shockey, whose repeated lower-leg injuries have left him nowhere near the receiver he used to be (or thinks he is). It'll probably hurt them a little this season (they'll miss Shockey's run blocking, in particular), but long-term, the Giants got the better of this deal. It's a "sell-high" move: getting good value for a player whose performance is declining.

As for the Favre drama, I concur with Hurlshot's assessment. Managment is (correctly) taking the long-term view. If their assessment of Rodgers being a capable starting QB is correct, testing him out (and hopefully extending his contract) is the right move. That team is mostly young and loaded with talent-- they can be competitive for titles for the next 5 years if they get decent quarterbacking. I wouldn't throw that chance away in return for 1 more year of Favre followed by big questions at the QB position.

That said, I don't see Favre as a villain or anything. There doesn't have to be a "bad guy" in every dispute. Sure, he looks emotionally immature with the whole "I'm retired"/"No, I'm not" drama, but if he wants to come back and play, he should. The Pack can probably get some value (a 3rd or 4th round pick, or perhaps a body on the DL to fill in for all the injuries they're dealing with) trading him to an AFC squad who wants to rent a QB for a year to try to make a run (the Jets and Ravens are the best fits).

Yeah, that Shockey one surprised me. Isnt that the exact same offer they turned down from the Saints a few months ago?

Yes. To the letter.

Not necessarily. Something in that area was leaked, but I don't think it was ever confirmed that this offer was on the table during the draft. And there were reports of a mini-camp shouting match between the TE and management, which probably lowered the team's assessment of his value somewhat. Anyhow, it's a more-than-fair price for Shockey, whose repeated lower-leg injuries have left him nowhere near the receiver he used to be (or thinks he is). It'll probably hurt them a little this season (they'll miss Shockey's run blocking, in particular), but long-term, the Giants got the better of this deal. It's a "sell-high" move: getting good value for a player whose performance is declining.

:lol:

All right from now on only story's with links

"The Saints had been trying since February to acquire the disgruntled New York Giants tight end. First, they offered a second-round pick. Before the draft, they increased the offer to a second- and a fifth-round draft choice, but until a few days before the start of their training camp, the Giants felt he was too valuable to lose. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3498795

I found others as well, but this will do.

Favre follows through on plan, requests reinstatement from NFL

The unofficial unretirement of Brett Favre moved closer to becomming official on Tuesday.

Favre faxed his official request for reinstatement, which was received by the league office, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter. By submitting his request for reinstatement, Favre followed through on his previous statements that he wants to come back from his brief retirement and return to the field this season.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will not act on Favre's request on Tuesday, according to Schefter.

Once his reinstatement is approved by the league, which is expected, the Packers have 24 hours to either release Favre or bring him back on the active roster.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Edited by Kelverin

Congratulations to today's Hall of Fame inductee's

Fred Dean - who was one of the most feared pass rushers in NFL history with the Chargers :) and 49ers.

Art Monk - played on three Super Bowl championship teams and amassed 940 career receptions, a record at the time.

Emmitt Thomas - played a key role in the Chiefs' only title, intercepting two passes in the AFL Championship and another in Super Bowl IV.

Andre Tippett - a member of the 1980s All-Decade team, was a key contributor to the Patriots' remarkable run to Super Bowl XX.

Gary Zimmerman - is one of the few players to play in the USFL and then gain entry into the Hall

Preseason starts tomorrow at the Hall of Fame game in Canton

Colts @ Redskins 8:00 PM EST NBC

Panthers receiver Steve Smith suspended for first two games this season.

"The melee came after both players had taken off their helmets in a break for starters during a special teams drill. It was unclear what provoked the fight. While the two have routinely jawed at each other in practice since Lucas signed with Carolina in 2005, they've never come to blows in view of reporters."

LINK

The drama is finally over and Brett goes to the AFC's New York Jets. They get Favre from the Packers for conditional draft pick.

"After 16 seasons, several NFL passing records and a Super Bowl title, the Brett Favre era in Green Bay -- and the drawn-out saga that came along with an offseason of contentious talks after his unretirement -- finally came to an end early Thursday morning. The Packers traded the future Hall of Fame quarterback to the New York Jets for a conditional fourth-round draft pick in 2009, NFL Networks Adam Schefter reports."

LINK

Edited by Kelverin

I think the Pack should still be favorites to win their division (although the injuries they've suffered on the DL are threatening that). The Jets look 7-9-ish to me, but maybe Favre lifts them to 8-8.

QB is too important unless your D is as good as Chicago's was a few years ago (and, even then, their QBs had some great games). Roger has been overrated. People actually think he's better than Favre!!! LMAO

Edited by Volourn