NFL 2008 Season

Kelverin

• 2 weeks later...
HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Three days after a conference call with Packers team officials in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked by letter for his unconditional contractual release, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy weren't available for comment Friday.

In a statement, the Packers said: "Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms. We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion.

"Brett's press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement," the news release added. "The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

During a conference call on Tuesday that included Thompson, McCarthy, Favre and Cook, sources say that the quarterback stated emphatically that he wanted to play again.

Favre was reminded by the Packers' brass that he said publicly and privately in March that he wasn't 100 percent committed to football, sources said. Favre acknowledged his state of mind at the time, but added that he never felt he was 100 percent committed in March of previous years, either. Favre felt he had to make a decision to retire because the Packers were pressing him for an answer, a source said.

During the conference call on Tuesday, neither Thompson nor McCarthy was openly receptive or enthused about Favre's desire to unretire, the sources said, prompting Favre to direct Cook to request his release from the team. Favre has three years remaining on his contract at a total of $39 million. He currently is on the reserve-retired list.

Favre prefers a mutual parting rather than have to force the Packers' hand by writing a letter to request his reinstatement to the active 80-man roster. Under league policy, the team would have to comply or release him.

Cook's letter did suggest that Favre's accomplishments for the franchise merited the team honoring his request to be released, also asking that the action be taken "with no strings attached." Favre does not want to be traded, sources said, because he wants the freedom of choice to play for another franchise.

Favre has been in communication with McCarthy during the past month about his desire to play but until this week had not spoken with Thompson.

Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation when approached while working out Friday morning at a local high school in Hattiesburg. He appeared to be in excellent physical condition and threw the ball with ease, even throwing it 50 yards "on a rope" with high school receivers. He has been throwing and running with the team for more than a month.

Favre was relaxed and in a positive frame of mind, joking and telling stories about himself, former teammates and coaches. He planned to continue working out next week.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

yeah it's been splattered on every news station around Wisconsin ... what the (you know).

sounding like the vikings or bears may get a quarterback ...lol . I can't wait to see how this all pans out.

poor Rogers ... like he isn't under enough preasure to have a good season.

I think the Packers will be fine with Rodgers, but if Favre actually shows up and hangs around for 2 months (management has said that he's welcome to come back and be their #2 guy) splitting the team into camps that support him or the new guy, and leaking stuff to the media when he's unhappy, things could go south pretty fast.

They should trade him to Baltimore. Or maybe back to Atlanta. I doubt they would get much value, but it might be the only way that both parties end up happy.

He needs to stay retired. He went out with a bang last year, at the top of his game. Now he'll probably go out as a washed out has been. Favre going to another team like the Bears or Vikings wouldn't make him very welcomed back at Green Bay.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

So.. GB has decided to be jerkoffs in this. Talk about spitting on the guy. He wnats to play le thim play. Talk about dispectful.

But, hey, I guess he made a cardinal sin - he changed his mind and wants to unreture. Man, that brett Favre. What a Devil?

I say they should play him, trade him, or release them.

GB are scumbags!

"He went out with a bang last year, at the top of his game."

Yeah, an interception that cost his team the NFC championship! 'Top of his game'. L0L

"Now he'll probably go out as a washed out has been."

Impossible.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"We wanted to create a forum for fans' voices to be heard," Adam Rolfson, 36, told The Associated Press by phone. "I don't understand how you deny somebody that threw for 4,000 yards (last season) a starting position. I can think of at least 25 teams in the NFL that would jump at the opportunity to have Brett Favre be their starting quarterback."

This alone is enough to prove that GB owners are retarded. They'd rather go with an unproven loser with a guy whose had greta success and had a fantatsic year last.

Either start him or trade or release him.

Period.

Well, Im of a different opinion on Farve. I wont take anything away from his skill but this was a total diva move on his part. By now Im sure youve all read the timeline which clearly shows how GB bent over backwards to kiss his behind and give him every opportunity to play. Now, in the 11th hour, hes going to pull this BS on his "beloved" team which wont accomplish anything besides dividing the locker room and setting Aaron Rodgers back yet another year after hes patiently waited his turn.

Right, its a total drama queen move. Maybe they can get something from the Roughriders or the Rough Riders for him.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

"We wanted to create a forum for fans' voices to be heard," Adam Rolfson, 36, told The Associated Press by phone. "I don't understand how you deny somebody that threw for 4,000 yards (last season) a starting position. I can think of at least 25 teams in the NFL that would jump at the opportunity to have Brett Favre be their starting quarterback."

This alone is enough to prove that GB owners are retarded. They'd rather go with an unproven loser with a guy whose had greta success and had a fantatsic year last.

Either start him or trade or release him.

Period.

They're not saying that they're not going to trade him; all they've said is that the "release" option is off the table. All the talk about him not being the starter (which they're now backing away from) is essentially posturing for trade negotiations. They won't get much for him, but the trade lets them control where he goes, and keep him out of Minnesota or Chicago.

GB management is thinking long-term. They have a very talented roster chock-full of promising young players who are still improving, and they're thinking about competing for a championship for the next 4 season rather than just 2008. They like Aaron Rodgers, and he is going into the last year of his rookie contract. If he doesn't get some face time with the offense this season, they have to make a very tough QB decision without having the benefit of seeing him in extended live action.

IMO, even with Rodgers at QB, they easily have the best offensive talent in their division. (Heck, it wouldn't take much for Rodgers to be the best QB of the sorry lot they've got in MIN, CHI, and DET.) The defense, particularly the front-seven, is no slouch either. Despite all the hype the Vikings are getting, I still think GB should be the favorites to repeat as NFCN champs.

Edited by Enoch

I think it's lame that Favre went through all the retirement hullaballoo and then changed his mind. It was a big decision and he should stick with it. If he wants to be involved in the game, there are other ways to do it.

"The NFL has hired experts to study game footage to determine whether players are displaying street-gang hand signals as part of their on-field celebrations, The Los Angeles Times reports."

Gang signs in pro sports gained a higher profile during the NBA playoffs, when Boston Celtics captain Paul Pierce was fined $25,000 for making "menacing gestures" toward the Atlanta Hawks' bench during a game.

"We were always suspicious that [gang-related hand signals] might be happening," said Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officiating, according to the report. "But the Paul Pierce thing is what brought it to light. When he was fined ... that's when we said we need to take a look at it and see if we need to be aware of it."

LINK

Bears sign RB Kevin Jones

Link

Good signing, should help the offense.

"By now Im sure youve all read the timeline which clearly shows how GB bent over backwards to kiss his behind and give him every opportunity to play"

That's GB's view of the situation. Favre's is ompletely different. he says he felt heavily pressured to retire, and to espciially to make the d ecision much quicker than he wnated to. It seemed GB really wnated to go with the overhyped Rogers this season, and Favre be damned.

sounds like Farve is suffering from a situation entirely of his own making. If hes dedicated to play the its time to keep quite, go to camp and beat out Rodgers for what he feels is his.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The guy nearly won the MVP award lasts eason, took his team to the NFC hcampionship, won the division, and played awesome. H eshould no more have to fight for his job than either Manning, or Brady. :biggrin:

Yeah, and orphans shouldn't go hungry.

Also Peyton and Tom didn't retire in the offseason, a fact that I hope hadn't escaped your scrutiny.

I hope the fact that Favre hasn't broken any NFL rules hasn't escaped yours. By the NFL's own rules he's allowed to do this. And, yeah, I know by the rules GB doesn't have to to have start him. But, it's patehtic and plain old spiteful if they don'[t since we all know he is fully capable of starting as QB in the NFL.. and, unless anyone could make an actual case why Rogers is a better QB than Favre at this time ; it's ludicrous to suggest he should get defacto nod over one of the best QBs ever.

no one should go into their job assuming they can't be replaced by someone better, competition breeds excellence. Rodgers probably is not better then Brett, but by the same token he should get his chance to prove that he might be.

Yeah, sure, as much a chance as he always did. Just like p;eyton's backup has a chance to usurp him.

"competition breeds excellence. "

Really? Peyton Manning has been the undisputed #1 QB in Indy for years with no competition. Saem with Favre in GB. Both have been excellent over the years. *shrug*

Yeah, sure, as much a chance as he always did. Just like p;eyton's backup has a chance to usurp him.

"competition breeds excellence. "

Really? Peyton Manning has been the undisputed #1 QB in Indy for years with no competition. Saem with Favre in GB. Both have been excellent over the years. *shrug*

Well, I think in that situation they don't see themselves as competing to keep their starting jobs. I think they use the competition between teams and the drive to win a ring as the ultimate competition. Which it certainly is IMO... I think it takes a mindset that every snap of theball is paving the way to a championship and they train and play knowing that reality. That's why it's not a position for all to take on.

Busy day in the NFL.

Giants to trade Shockey to Saints

For a 2nd and 5th round draft choice.

Redskins agree to terms on deal for Taylor

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8362550...deal-for-Taylor

Rams, Chris Long agree to deal

Receiver Chad Johnson says he'll report on time for the Cincinnati Bengals' training camp next weekend, but his surgically repaired ankle probably will limit him in practice.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8364880...to-Bengals-camp