The beer thread

samm

I've had more bad beer in brown bottles than I've had bad Coronas.

there's simply more beer in brown bottles. it's particularly worse with imported or slowly selling beers, they sit on the shelf longer and have more opportunities for exposure.

Don't go on a crusade about conspiracy theories by beer manufacturers to fool the masses;

corona's marketing scheme is well known among the bar industry and those with similar interests (e.g. home brewers or beer-o-philes). i never said it was a conspiracy, just that the makers of corona know that their beer "skunks" quickly. it is impossible for them to guarantee a light-free existence before purchase. i would imagine that corona that is "fresh" tastes fine, but it's not my taste either way (i don't drink anything that light).

they don't exactly drink it because it tastes or smells nice in the first place. ;)

i think lots of beers taste great and smell great, when fresh (particularly scottish ales which i favor). all beer tastes and smells bad when not fresh.

home brewers have an even more difficult problem to overcome, btw. they typically don't filter the beer (other than with a cloth), so lots of live, but inactive, yeast remains. eventually that yeast will reactivate and referment the beer which doesn't do good things.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Taks, ever try Road Dog scottish ale from Flying Dog? They are almost a home town brewer for you so I would guess you have. If so what did you think of it? Personally, I liked it. It's clean and smooth without an after taste and has a malty flavor. The only thing that stinks it it's a little hard to get down here. It seems all the local distributors carry only their India Pale brand that I can't stand.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Taks, ever try Road Dog scottish ale from Flying Dog?

i had some flying dog beers at the breckenridge brew-fest a couple summers ago, but i don't recall which. one i didn't like, but the other was pretty good. i don't think either was road dog, but it's hard to tell because we got pretty drunk that day. our wives picked us up (two of us) at the end of the festival and we were the first ones through the gate in the late morning. it was ugly and we were camping on the reservoir just outside of breck, which made the rest of the evening interesting. i think the one was the IPA now that i ponder a bit... and no, i don't like IPAs in general.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I've hated every porter I've ever tried, but I love a good Scottish ale.

When I was in college, I always made it a point to stop at the local brewpub for happy hour -- when a pint of any of their beers went for $1. They brewed a Scottish ale there that I still haven't been able to top.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I'm not much of a drinker and really don't care for beer. It just fills me up too fast and I feel bloated the rest of the night.

I like hard liquor types more.

New thread, anyone?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm not much of a drinker and really don't care for beer. It just fills me up too fast and I feel bloated the rest of the night.

New thread, anyone?

Not unless you're planning to make a poll or talk about wine instead?

New thread, anyone?

Not unless you're planning to make a poll or talk about wine instead?

I was wondering whether wine was worth discussing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.