The beer thread

samm

any beer that requires an additive to make it taste good, e.g. lemon, is not beer IMO. any beer that comes in a clear bottle, is also not beer, IMO.

taks

That's really stupid, IMO.

excuse me? apparently you don't know anything about beer.

1) if it requires an additive, it is not done. additionally, look up the word reinheitsgebot.

2) if it is in a clear bottle, there is a chance that the remaining yeast can become active when exposed to sunlight rendering the beer all but undrinkable. nearly every quality beer in the world is bottled with dark glass. this is well known among any and all brewers. why corona does not do this is beyond me.

yeah, something's stupid...

taks

1) a stupid old German law about not adding some things to beer for political reasons? Oh noes, I put a lemon in it!

2) Beer is sold in cartons. I'm pretty sure the cartons aren't see-through.

Miller Lite ...

Ah.. the traditional drink of the Irish. :bat:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Great Aussie beers are:

Crown Lager (a.k.a crownies)

Coopers Pale Ale

I'll keep that in mind if I ever see either, cheers.

XXXX is marketed in the UK specifically as being Australian which is pretty funny given the accounts in this thead.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The only good beer comes from Ireland and Germany.

For some reason i always had you pegged as a Bass drinker.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Never been able to drink Budweiser, makes me seriously gasey, Budvar on the other hand is always quality...

agreed, but i grew up in st. louis. either bud or busch, and i hate busch. quite frankly, i don't drink a whole lot of beer at all anymore.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

1) a stupid old German law about not adding some things to beer for political reasons? Oh noes, I put a lemon in it!

immaterial. stupid law or no, i agree with it. you can put a lemon in your beer all day, that doesn't mean i have to like such beers. if it was a good beer to begin with, it wouldn't need a lemon.

immaterial again. beer gets out of the carton all the time and exposed to light (sunlight is worse) on a regular basis. beers in clear glass go "skunky" faster, period, whether you like it or not.

taks

Gentlemen, let's not get snobby. If the beer is more refreshing with lemon in it, then let it be beer with lemon in it. After all, if we disallow that then I won't be allowed to put steak in the neck of my Newcastle Brown ale.

-Elwood Blues

An excellent topic... I'll add my two cents.

Coors Light is my favorite of the big three light beers. Nothing beats a Silver Bullet on a hot summer day -- except maybe a Rolling Rock. Although I've stopped buying Rocks since Anheuser-Busch bought the rights to make it but stopped brewing it in Latrobe. The brewery sat idle for several months before City Brewing Co. bought it. They made a deal with the Boston Beer Co., and now the plant makes Sam Adams.

Sorry to go on a tangent, but I really liked Rolling Rock and I was really steamed about what happened back then. That brewery is basically the only thing in Latrobe. A-B put half the town out of work when they decided it was more cost effective to brew Rolling Rock in New Jersey.

Anyway, J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown is a tasty treat and it's only a buck or two more for a six-pack than one of the big three popular lagers. Every Sam Adams beer I've had has been good, even the Cherry Wheat Ale -- and I was pretty skeptical going into that one.

I'd be terribly out of line if I didn't mention The Great Lakes Brewing Co., since it's basically in my back yard. I'm not sure how far it's distributed, though. Have any of you seen these fine Cleveland-born beverages in an upscale beer stores near you?

My favorite of the Great Lakes beers, although you can't go wrong with the Dortmunder or Christmas Ale, either.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Well, I doubt I'll ever like Miller Lite, but I've enjoyed a Rolling Rock on a hot day. I also enjoy quite a few American micro beers. It's great to see then making progress in the last few years against the big boys.

-Elwood Blues

immaterial. stupid law or no, i agree with it. you can put a lemon in your beer all day, that doesn't mean i have to like such beers. if it was a good beer to begin with, it wouldn't need a lemon.

If the cake was good to begin with, it wouldn't need sugar!

immaterial again. beer gets out of the carton all the time and exposed to light (sunlight is worse) on a regular basis. beers in clear glass go "skunky" faster, period, whether you like it or not.

Err, like you said - the UV is the problem. They don't go "skunky" faster, they go "skunky" faster when exposed to UV. You practice good storage of beer (such as drinking the **** soon after buying it, refrigerating when not drinking it, storage in a dark place, etc) and you haven't got a problem.

I'll give you a hint: Yeast requires a small temperature range to grow (at most 10 to 37 Celsius). Fridges operate a few degrees above freezing (0 Celsius).

You can say that the clear bottles ruin beer all you like, but I've yet to drink a Corona or Tooheys Extra Dry that didn't taste like the reason I bought it in the first place.

Anyway, Walsingham is right; enough on that.

I tried Corona last night, and I retract my earlier comments. it is quite refreshing.

Now then, on a more serious note, has anyone tried putting bacon in guinness?

-Elwood Blues

Ruin good Guinness?? :)

Take a risk!

-Elwood Blues

Err, like you said - the UV is the problem. They don't go "skunky" faster, they go "skunky" faster when exposed to UV. You practice good storage of beer (such as drinking the **** soon after buying it, refrigerating when not drinking it, storage in a dark place, etc) and you haven't got a problem.

I'll give you a hint: Yeast requires a small temperature range to grow (at most 10 to 37 Celsius). Fridges operate a few degrees above freezing (0 Celsius).

light in general, UV is worse.

here you are arguing about my personal tastes and reasons for them, reasons based on solid premises. what a maroon.

You can say that the clear bottles ruin beer all you like, but I've yet to drink a Corona or Tooheys Extra Dry that didn't taste like the reason I bought it in the first place.

i have.

taks

i'm usually not too fussy with beer

i like to experiment a bit and try out new ones all the time :)

quite fond of things like Heineken, Corona, Steinlager Pure, Sol, Hollandier, Macs, Monteiths, Warsteiner, Grolsch, Stella Artois

there was one particular Czech beer my flatmate and i found that was the best beer i've ever tasted

unfortunately, can't remember the name of it :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

The only good beer comes from Ireland and Germany.

For some reason i always had you pegged as a Bass drinker.

Never heard of it.

You have never had a Black and Tan?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

photodegradation of beer. the interesting point is that the makers of corona have convinced masses of unwitting folks that putting a lime in their beer is cool, and makes for a better beer, yet in reality it is to cover up the skunky odor. hehe...

taks

Beer stinks, or rather people having been drinking beer stink to those who haven't... Anyway, there are almost no beers in clear bottles here except the ones you keep in the fridge anyway. Interestingly enough, most of those are either very light beers or flavoured with tequila/lemon, so that would fit the description of the article...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

there was one particular Czech beer my flatmate and i found that was the best beer i've ever tasted

unfortunately, can't remember the name of it :(

Staropramen

-Elwood Blues

photodegradation of beer. the interesting point is that the makers of corona have convinced masses of unwitting folks that putting a lime in their beer is cool, and makes for a better beer, yet in reality it is to cover up the skunky odor. hehe...

taks

Half of the time I drink Corona without citrus, and half the people I know (the men) do the same. It tastes and smells fine (as fine as any beer can taste or smell, which, let's be subjective, isn't good; it's an acquired taste). I've had more bad beer in brown bottles than I've had bad Coronas.

It's just beer, mate. Don't go on a crusade about conspiracy theories by beer manufacturers to fool the masses; they don't exactly drink it because it tastes or smells nice in the first place. :thumbsup:

I will make an exception to that: Kilkenny Stout actually tastes good. If ambrosia existed, I bet it was Kilkenny.

Edited by Krezack

You're thinking of Castle milk stout.

-Elwood Blues