Unreal Engine: Gears of War 2

Zoma

That was quite impressive. I can figure out the basic principles of how they do most of it, and its awesome that they got it working. The crowd simulation could add tons of gameplay if they can get enough enemies to be "active" and not just dummies. The people at Epic never ceases to amaze me.

Im jealous of all the guys from my Uni that got to attend GDC this week. I might be going to the Leipzig GDC, and hopefulyl they will have even more stuff to show there.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The crowds were impressive from afar, but I've got a feeling up close they're just as ass-ugly and bulky as they were in GoW1.

Water effects were better in Bioshock, although the fluid objects were impressive. Shame all of this is going to translate into eye-candy rather than dynamic gameplay, but I guess you really couldn't expect any less.

More likely the crowd is used for cut-scenes or turret minigames.

I doubt there is any such complex game with crowd element with individuals possessing at least acceptable AI guideline that is above the 'dummy' state AI possible yet, unless it is capable of utilising a single core completely.

But such claims had been made for Hitman: Blood money. Meh.

Edited by Zoma

Dynamic water was already impressive in Halo 3, GoW2 seems to have gotten it even better. Dynamic bodies adn the environmental destruction also sounds really cool.

Also, Blasting holes through walls with the destructable environment can lead to different gameplay.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Battlefield Bad Company is doing that too, though it doesn't look as pretty as in that GoW2 trailer.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Also, Blasting holes through walls with the destructable environment can lead to different gameplay.

Would be nifty. Red Faction does that and its part of the gameplay.

Have you played Red Faction? They pimped the hell out of destructible environments, but destructible things were generally pretty rare and were mostly things like columns you could bust to allow you to shoot more things. It was a gimmick, either because the devs weren't imaginative enough or the resources they had didn't allow for better use.

I have no reason to believe that destructible environments are going to yield anything more than a twist in FPS cover dynamics and the next generation of pretty decals.

Edited by Pop

The destructible cover in Uncharted was pretty neat. Gears of War could definitely do with having some. Though I've always kind of been worried about destructible walls and players making shortcuts. Thinking about it, it might not be so hard to deal with as I used to think.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The destructible cover in Uncharted was pretty neat. Gears of War could definitely do with having some. Though I've always kind of been worried about destructible walls and players making shortcuts. Thinking about it, it might not be so hard to deal with as I used to think.

Enviroments are rarely (if ever) destructible enough that that players can find shortcuts that weren't meant to be there, at least in my experience. I seem to remember red faction disallowing further destruction when the player got too far away from the actual path.

The thing I've always been worried about is when destructible enviroments are only destructible a few centimetres in, as they seemed to be in the video. They are there to make it seem more real, and that effect is lost (and perhaps made worse) when you meet indestructible terrain, that looks destructible.

Those are in general some very cool effects they've added though.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The crowds were impressive from afar, but I've got a feeling up close they're just as ass-ugly and bulky as they were in GoW1.

I spend several hours today oogling over the GoW assets in Unreal3Ed and I have to say that the artists at Epic are probably the best in the gaming bussiness. You'll only find more talented guys at places like ILM or Pixar.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I spend several hours today oogling over the GoW assets in Unreal3Ed and I have to say that the artists at Epic are probably the best in the gaming bussiness. You'll only find more talented guys at places like ILM or Pixar.

The models are great if your idea of the average person is a 300 pound giant dwarf.

A giant dwarf has the height of a man, but is much wider. GoW characters have nice skins but they have to have custom shoes made because their feet are the width of their thighs, which are usually the the size of small trees. ****, the female character that was in GoW for all of 15 seconds was built like a linebacker. I much prefer a engine like HL2's, which despite being less pretty can achieve things UE3 never will with its models.

Edited by Pop

A giant dwarf has the height of a man, but is much wider.

So a giant dwarf is just an average fat guy?

Not really, his head and hands would too big compared to the rest of his body.

Dwarf = Hormone diffiency, causes abnormal limb and body growth.

Midget = Genetical disorder, little in every way.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh, and i consider the additions to the Unreal Engine 3.0 to be expected. This is Sweeney we're talking about, the only rival to Carmack's brilliance.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The models are great if your idea of the average person is a 300 pound giant dwarf.

Well, they're supposed to look like that, so you're essentially saying you dont like steak because it has too much meat on it.

..and dont be making jokes about little people! Achondroplasia is a serious handicap :-