A remake or even a patch will do good

Hello everyone...

I'm a big fan of 'Obsidian Entertainment'.I think they are the RPG masters...But there is a problem

Everybody knows about the KOTOR series...The 2nd game made by 'Obsidian Entertainment'

The game was so good when I started but the cut content just ruined my game and shook my all trust to obsidian entertainment...I was some kind of shocked...

Now 'Obsidian Entertainment' loses ranks in everybodys minds because of a game that wasn't meant to be uncomplete...

This mustn't be like 'we put the cut content in the CD just mod it'.This is silly because there isn't much people that have ability to do such big mods.And so far most are failed.And we the patient gamers still waiting after 4 years.

This shouldn't be like this.'Obsidian Entertainment' must act and complete their incomplete work.

But if they are thinking of a 'remake' i will gladly wait.

I just wanted to share my thoughts.I shared this because Obsidian Entertainment 'cares' about gamers but not only money

I shared this because I like and trust in them...A patch or a remake will do really good for obsidian entertainment in gamers eyes...

Ok...that's all for now...These are what I hope...And maybe there are others who thinks similar to me?I'm sure there are

With great respect to 'Masters of RPG' and their works.

They made the game how Lucas Arts wanted it. No more and no less.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

And if you haven't noticed, there is going to be a mod coming out called "The Sith Lords Restoration Project" where a group of people are working to make a mod to add all the cut content. But I just wish that LA hadn't wanted it to be a Christmas release. the trailer at E3 looked better then what LucasArts had Obsidian do to this game.

geass-1.jpg

Part of Rise of the Sith TSL Mod

It didn't help that they had to spend tiime on the E3 show either... precious days wasted making demos :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm sure videos are no-brainers (show the coolest bits of a game) put together in conjunction with pr teams and the like, so I can't imagine they really take away from actual game development. :thumbsup:

As much as I sympathise with the author of this thread though, I can't help but feel that it's all a bit pointless; no game company is going to go off and work on remaking a game unless they are getting payed for it, nor do I think they would have as much interest in revisiting an old project, with so much more new stuff they could be doing. I am very happy that there is a group of people out there who are trying to 'fill' some of the gaps in TSL, but to be honest, the only part of the game I think might have needed any more time spent on was the ending, which seemed abrupt and confusing. Eh.

I suppose a more realstic fan-demand would be for Obsidian/Bioware to release a really nice set of tools for the modding community to develop their own add-on material. If anyone's been watching the Holowan forums, it's only in the past few months that someone has managed to create (and implement) true user-made areas into KotOR! A good few YEARS since the game was released! The argument is that regardless of how well or complete a game might be, the hardcore fanbase of game will always find things to be critical about, so instead of having to spend more time/money on the same project, why not give the community the tools to add more longevity (read: sales!) to the game? :p

On a more controversial note, I suppose reviewing the issue of porting, on Lucas' behalf, might also similarly be beneficial and interesting; who wouldn't want to revisit more areas from KotOR in TSL (and vice-versa), but this is probably not worth getting into any more, legally speaking.

As I mentioned in my topic

I still believe Obsidian Entertainment can do something without thinking of money...

That's why I opened this topic...I don't know why but I still believe in that

That will be max 4-5 month work..and it will worth it

Maybe they can sell it trough internet(steam etc.)

Most of us will gladly pay the price for the content...If it is the money they want...

But I still don't believe in that...

No they can't.

They insisted on making free "content patch" after the game was published. It would've restored the cut content, most importantly the ending and droid factory.

Guess what, LA didn't let them do it.

OE really can't do anything to the game anymore

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

As I mentioned in my topic

I still believe Obsidian Entertainment can do something without thinking of money...

That's why I opened this topic...I don't know why but I still believe in that

That will be max 4-5 month work..and it will worth it

Maybe they can sell it trough internet(steam etc.)

Most of us will gladly pay the price for the content...If it is the money they want...

But I still don't believe in that...

Actually money has nothing to do with it. Lucas Arts owns the game and the intellectual property behind it. Obsidian was contracted to make the game for LA but LA owns it and has complete control over what is done with it. Obsidian could not go back an retro patch it even if they really wanted to and they certainly could not sell the result in any case.

Take this example, you own a business and hire an really good sign company to make window sign for your business. But, because you put a lot of restrictions on their design process and rushed them through it, it did not turn out that well. The sign company is not going to go back four years later and redesign your sign because they know it did not turn out right. You got what you paid for. Ditto with Obsidian, LA got what they contracted for.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No they can't.

They insisted on making free "content patch" after the game was published. It would've restored the cut content, most importantly the ending and droid factory.

Guess what, LA didn't let them do it.

OE really can't do anything to the game anymore

Exactly... sadly.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=...p;postcount=283

Precisely. If anyone from Obsidian or Bioware wanted to 'revisit' KotOR or TSL, they'd have to do so on the same terms as the rest of the modding community, unless they are hired to do so by Lucas. So, I can't see them spending a few months on something they are not going to get paid for, when they could be working.

Yes that's why I'm talking about they can make a modlike patch

like an unofficial patch...there is nothing illegal about it...

Like... oh.. I don't know, teh TSLRP?

Like the above posters are saying, Obsidian can't do anything about it. LucasArts wanted the game the way it is now, and now, several groups of people have found in the PC version that there are unused documents, which was the cut content. I reccomend that this topic be locked... because, well... he should've known that LA wanted the game like that.

geass-1.jpg

Part of Rise of the Sith TSL Mod

Yes that's why I'm talking about they can make a modlike patch

like an unofficial patch...there is nothing illegal about it...

This has already been pointed out for you couple of times

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Precisely. If anyone from Obsidian or Bioware wanted to 'revisit' KotOR or TSL, they'd have to do so on the same terms as the rest of the modding community, unless they are hired to do so by Lucas. So, I can't see them spending a few months on something they are not going to get paid for, when they could be working.

Actually, if understand the terms correctly, Obsidian is actually worse of than the modders, since they have a written contract with LA, meaning that they do only what LA tells them to do. So they can't do a mod even if they want to, even for free. Of course, they could do one on the side pretending to be modders, but if LA found out, it could hurt the relationship and so Obsidian's chance of being allowed to do KotOR3 like they've said several times they wanted to. I don't even think they can give Team Gizka or anyone else advice without risking LA's wrath. Of course, that's just conjecture on my part.

I don't think Obsidian are worse off, not at least in the sense you mention them. The contract they would have signed would be to make TSL and stick around for updates and whatnot for a few months or years; afterwards, it's to greener pastures. I suppose individual employees from Obsidian could do whatever the heck they want in their free time and sure, their insider knowledge of game mechanics and code would mean they could do a lot, but there are limits; professional voice-overs need real money (unless you want an entire planet's worth of the same alien talk over and over and over and over again) and I don't know what the legal status of development tools specific to the TSL project (whether they can use them as they please, or whether they have to come up with new ones, from scratch). I honestly believe that they simply have no desire to get involved with such a project, when they could be devoting themselves to a newer, more exciting one (which will also pay their bills); i wouldn't want their next project to suffer because they spent time polishing a 4-year-old game.

Anyone can release a mod, so long as it fulfills some legal requirments (such as copyright infringement), which in turn determine if you plan on selling it or giving it away. It's customary that most mods are free, however any mods that go for sale for real money are mods that have been green-lit by the copyright holder; in our case, if LA doesn't want to commission any such patch, as you describe it, so there's no patch, apart from what Team Gizka is doing. Even then, without wanting to sound negative, that is their interpretation of what is assumed to be cut content (i.e. not all 'restored' content was cut because it was incomplete or rushed) and it is limited by their modding skills and understanding of game mechanics.

Anyone can release a mod, so long as it fulfills some legal requirments (such as copyright infringement), which in turn determine if you plan on selling it or giving it away.

It might not be as simple as that.

There can be all kinds of contractual obstacles preventing current and former employees from touching the game after release. The silence after the release of the game was deafening and I would bet, that quite a few developers were itching to say a few things, but couldn't because they were tied hand and feet by their contracts. Unless there is some kind of time limit on such a contract (which is hard to imagine), they will not be able to touch the product in the future without the express consent of the owner (LA).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guys there is a point you should see...

KOTOR2 will be the prequel for KOTOR3...so an incomplete game will suck as a prequel and KOTOR3 will also suffer for this

And still we don't know if team gizka could complete their project we may only hope that and nothing more...

But so far any project except gizka have failed...

This is not an easy task to make this large modes...But I hope team gizka can do it

It seems LA disappointed us,so did Obsidian Entertainment...

But I won't loose my faith unless somebody from Obsidian Entertainment will tell they won't be doing something like that

and Team-Gizka tells us they have failed...Before all of that happens I will only hope:)

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I'm not fooling myself anymore, that's for sure. Yea ok, so Lucas screwed obsidian with Kotor2, and then Atari screwed them up with NWN2. Poor obsidian, always taking it up the ***. I'm sorry but ob ruined two series in a row and both times it was developer's fault. I'm not falling for this kind of excuse again. If they had any respect for themselves or their consumers the issues that plague both games would've been resolved by now. Look at the piss poor camera on NWN2, still not fixed. The piss poor performance for such a lackluster graphical engine. Hell, The Witcher uses a refined Aurora engine and it looks better and mostly important, performs better than anything ob have done. Right click delay to bring up a menu? WTF! Who the hell had this idea. The radial menu on NWN1 was freaking brilliant. You could easily access every character feat and whatnot in a flash. Multiplayer ruined completely and beyond repair. Reusing the SAME sounds from NWN1 was the final straw. OB took everything good from NWN1 and dumped it into their trash can and rolled back years of advancement.

Then in KOTOR2, you have characters that I could care less if I ejected them from the airlock on the Ebon Hawk, an ending that explains nothing, a hack'n'slash frag fest through the majority of the game, a copy and past plot from the first game (remove star maps from the quest log and replace it with the jedi masters and BOOM, the same thing all over again). I could go on the whole day but I'm not wearing out my keyboard for it.

Edited by racofer

What the **** are you talking about?

NWN1 sucked and most of the people hated radial menus. I too found them to be ****ing unbearable until I got used to them.

NWN2 was decent and in every single way that matters superior to NWN1. Apart from multiplayer but I don't do that in NWN's.

You're absolutely right on one thing. Engine sucks but I have midrange system and nowadays NWN2 runs just fine. You should also remember The Witcher was developed for about 5 years and still the unpatched version has worst loading times ever. It's not like BIO either are masters of coding. Whole Aurora engine is POS

And here comes spoiler:

Vanilla camera was exactly same as in NWN1. Strategy Mode camera is ok, character camera sucks when in interior areas. In addition to getting rid of radial menus UI is much better too with more quick slots etc. It's not developers fault you can't press single button to bring up quickmenus like quick casting (which is behind one click of F for ****s sake). UI is not perfect but alredy clearly superior to NWN1. And thank god they got rid of inventory tetris.

And have you played MotB?

Best RPG that has come out in long, long years. It was brilliant.

Of course "Then in KOTOR2, you have characters that I could care less if I ejected them from the airlock on the Ebon Hawk, an ending that explains nothing, a hack'n'slash frag fest through the majority of the game, a copy and past plot from the first game (remove star maps from the quest log and replace it with the jedi masters and BOOM, the same thing all over again). I could go on the whole day but I'm not wearing out my keyboard for it." part made whatever point you had moot.

Go get some brains mkay? That's better than spouting **** out like some ignorant dimwit.

Edited by Xard

Oh my god guys

please watch your attitude...This is not a place we blame developers/publishers

This is supposed to be a place to tell obsidian we need some content patch...

I hope they will help us...

And guys be sure about it Lucas Arts isn't that much ignorant to sue Obsidian for making a content patch...

How hard it is to understand OE can do nothing on the game anymore?

Just wait for Team Gizka, they're not far from completion

Deja vu

To the noobs that want a content patch from Obsidian:

You missed entire war, This idea has already been flushed except for the remaining turds. your 3 years late dudebro. You missed the petitions, the responses, the flaming, everything. Unless you have special crystals or some other method of time travel, forget about a official content patch.

Lucas arts isn't letting obsidian do it, and the workers at obsidian have a life outside of programming.

Your so late that the unnoficial restoration project is nearly done in fact, thats how lame you are.

Flush.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Deja vu

To the noobs that want a content patch from Obsidian:

You missed entire war, This idea has already been flushed except for the remaining turds. your 3 years late dudebro. You missed the petitions, the responses, the flaming, everything. Unless you have special crystals or some other method of time travel, forget about a official content patch.

Lucas arts isn't letting obsidian do it, and the workers at obsidian have a life outside of programming.

Your so late that the unnoficial restoration project is nearly done in fact, thats how lame you are.

Flush.

'If a person thinks he is too clever...let him be'

Firstly why we are noob because we want a patch from a developer?

I don't give a damn about the war that ended about patch...Obisidian was a newly founded developer at that time and now they have more money...

And secondly how do you know gizka is nearly done with the mod?Did you see it?Don't be so sure about a mod before it comes out...

And I still don't understand people attacking everyone and cursing the whole community just to be happy...

But in fact if it really helps you being happy you can keep calling me noob,lame etc....

I don't give a damn about the war that ended about patch...Obisidian was a newly founded developer at that time and now they have more money...

And secondly how do you know gizka is nearly done with the mod?Did you see it?Don't be so sure about a mod before it comes out...

Yeah, maybe several people needs to take a deep breath here, ranting, trolling and name calling doesn't accomplish anything.

Fact is, LA owns the game right down to the last script and pixel. They alone decides who gets to touch it, if at all. Chances are, LA is more concerned with their next game. If I should guess, I would say it will have something to do with the upcoming Indiana Jones movie.