helmet irony?

Walsingham

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cP...products_id/253

I just liked the notion of a camouflaged cavalry helmet.

"Good thing I camouflaged my head. Now the only problem is that I am seated six foot off the ground, on top of a horse.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

hehe this just reminds me of something else

a friend of mine recently bought a new drum kit with a camouflage pattern

playing in the forest they'll hear me, but never see me! muahaha

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Would Cavalry at that time still fight from their horses?

Or did it basically just let them move from area to area a little faster, while still fighting in the trenches?

I believe they tried at one time and another to fight from the horse. Basically they were intended to exploit any breakthrough in the lines. They waited a long time.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I believe they tried at one time and another to fight from the horse.

There was a very famous, disastrous mounted charge against a group of tanks that is viewed as the true end to horseback combat during WWI, although I cannot remember the name of the specific battle. ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I believe they tried at one time and another to fight from the horse.

There was a very famous, disastrous mounted charge against a group of tanks that is viewed as the true end to horseback combat during WWI, although I cannot remember the name of the specific battle. ;)

IIRC, horseback cavalry charges took place in WWII with the Poles in a last ditch effort against the German invasion. It didnt work out so good then either.

Gorgon is correct. There were indeed still Cavalry divisions (often semi-motorized) in WW2, because horses were a way to conserve petrol and so on. They were common in logistics, but combat divisions still existed as well.

Full on Cavalry charges didn't happen though.

Edited by alanschu

I guess a lot of it comes down to where we are talking. Cavalry on the Western Front were nil. but cavalry in Africa, Russia, and the mideast did better. Mostly this was because they could move about at speed.

Interestingly I read recently that the Poles were not nearly so daft as they sound. they thought they were about to charge a bivouaced infantry regiment. Had they done so they would have won hands down. Instead the infantry moved off and tanks tok over. result less impressive.

-Elwood Blues