What you did today

Walsingham

Went house shopping with the fiancee again today. Saw a 3 bedroom colonial not far from here that we liked (and 6 other places we didn't like as much). It's a decent location (about a mile's walk to the subway station, and the walk goes right by what appears to be a good mexican restaurant), nicely appointed with new floors and a solid kitchen (gas stove, new appliances, and butcher-board countertops). On the other hand, it's on a pretty busy street, has no bathroom on the 1st floor (1 upstairs, 1 basement), and the bedrooms are pretty small. And there's a spot at the bottom of the steps into the basement where I would be in continual danger of whanging my head.

We've seen about 20 places, and this is the strongest contender so far. It's been on the market since September, so we should have some leverage in negotiating if we decide to make an offer.

Went house shopping with the fiancee again today. Saw a 3 bedroom colonial not far from here that we liked (and 6 other places we didn't like as much). It's a decent location (about a mile's walk to the subway station, and the walk goes right by what appears to be a good mexican restaurant), nicely appointed with new floors and a solid kitchen (gas stove, new appliances, and butcher-board countertops). On the other hand, it's on a pretty busy street, has no bathroom on the 1st floor (1 upstairs, 1 basement), and the bedrooms are pretty small. And there's a spot at the bottom of the steps into the basement where I would be in continual danger of whanging my head.

We've seen about 20 places, and this is the strongest contender so far. It's been on the market since September, so we should have some leverage in negotiating if we decide to make an offer.

You get used to ducking fast. Trust me. I have a similar spot in my house. :shifty:

My friend's ex-gf likes me; uh oh :shifty:

Snap! My theory is that women just can't resist internerds.

Yea well we're the new breed of internerds; women hound us

Admit it, it is your all american, all covered in chrome, Harley Davidson of a PC they can't resist ;)

They can't resist that Facebook and Myspace load super fast on it :shifty:

Kitchen - high priority, good strong worksurfaces especially. Nothing quite like malleting a chicken flat and finding you've cracked the boards.

busy street - is it busy 24/7? I've certainly known 'quiet' streets which are horrendous at precisely the hours when one wants to sit still and relax.

bathroom - you'll get quickly used to it

small bedrooms - how much room does one actually need for sleeping?

danger spot - you are neglecting two points. Firstly, this will give you an excuse for wearing a viking helmet around the house. Secondly, if you are being pursued you can chase through here and duck, while your pursuer comedically is knocked unconscious.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My bleeding house negotiations fel through today. The vendor suddenly decided that an offer "subject to survey" actually doesn't mean that it is subject to a survey. Either that or for some reason they assuemd that a survey would result in my raising my offer.

Honestly, I've never dealt with anyone in obvious command of considerable funds who was so clearly unsuitable to be in charge of them.

...OK that's not true. But all the others were members of the aristocracy and they don't count. They're supposed to be mad.

Incandescent with fury. I had to go out for ANOTHER run just to burn off energy. On the plus side I noticed I look and feel about eight years younger. Fury is obviously good for me.

UPDATE:

I just finished a phone conversation with the estate agents. I didn't actually accuse the young man of being an idiot, but I did speculate on the mental strength of his client. I used the Harvard technique to give him a drubbing:

1. Pointed out the logical foundation for my position, unrelated to expense.

2. Enquired after the logical foundation of his client's position (they had none, they simply wished they were getting more money in spite of the collapsing house market).

3. Illustrated the massive discrepancy in the strength of our two fallback positions. I lose a few hundred pounds if this falls through. His client will lose thousands in wasted interest and mortgage payments, and has only a slim hope of getting more money.

4. Stated it was absurd that the negotiations should fall apart because the vendor was simply being childish.

5. Stated that the negotiations were not going to fall apart, and that builders were going in, I was getting my quote, and the price would come down.

Hopefully we shall see some action now. But by god it's fuyn to lose your temper. Best done in moderation, I think, but still awesome.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I hope it works out for you Walsh. :teehee:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I hope it works out for you Walsh. :teehee:

Thanks, man. :)

It would be very galling for thsi to fall through at this stage for no better reason than that the vendor is a fool.

-Elwood Blues

I've heard stories about an angry Walshingham before but they sounded little more than myth. I now see the error in my ways. Seeking vengeance through the subtle but destructive means like murdering an entire family of pandas with your bare hands or disqualifying someones paper work by changing U's into W's or y's just becuase. :teehee:

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Well, I have been redoing my diet thing with weird results. Instead of worrying about calories I am taking a good long look at the fat content of foods instead. By limiting myself to less than 10 grams of total fat a week I lost 7 pounds in the first week. In the second week I got a craving for pizza so I satisfied it. I figure if I starve my cravings the moment I get off of the deit I will relish those cravings to the point I would gain all that weight back. Giving the fact that I am doing exercises that is suppose to increase muscle mass the second week I did not lose any weight, but overall I didn't gain any weight either. YAY ME!

Anyhoot, my next step is lower my food portions at each meal and eat more often during the day. Normally, given my sleep and work schedule, I eat one large meal then when at work I either have a sandwich or soup. Soup is surprsingly filling and vegetable and tomato soups are very low in fat. .5 grams per serving. Since I have 10 hour shifts four days a week I have been using 2 liters and 30 packs of beer (Keystone to be percise) as weights, and I figured 60 laps around the aisles equals to one mile. It only takes me 2 hours to do all the work to keep the place clean so I walk around the aisles and do reps for the rest of the time.

I feel like I have more energy, but at the same time boy does my body ache.

:teehee:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I've heard stories about an angry Walshingham before but they sounded little more than myth. I now see the error in my ways. Seeking vengeance through the subtle but destructive means like murdering an entire family of pandas with your bare hands or disqualifying someones paper work by changing U's into W's or y's just becuase. :)

:) I like the idea of a ninja sneaking into an office and putting the dots on the i's as little hearts.

Well done on the diet, Sando. Although I had more succes cutting down on sugar. Fat makes you feel full for longer, and lets you work without cravings.

-Elwood Blues

I am also trying to ween myself the need to "feel" full as well. I am trying to, both physically and mentally, to improve myself. I never thought it would be so hard trying to be nice to people but since I began to feel physically better, the psychological side of things have been improving.

I have also cut down on sugar since I have pretty much reduced my 6 liters of pop a day down to 2 liters of pop every two weeks. :)

Edited by Sand

I never thought it would be so hard trying to be nice to people

So are we going to see the effects of that too? :)

University year begins now in NZ, so went over to a staff/students meeting for Honours courses (it's like a BA Plus, but really, you want it if you want a real BA). You can really tell the difference between profs who just love the sound of their own voice and those who have actually thought about things. Then I got a haircut.

My evening schedule this week appears to alternate between church and going light drinking. Interesting.

HEY! I have always been nice to you people.

REALLY! :)

Edited by Sand

So are we going to see the effects of that too? :p

HEY! I have always been nice to you people.

REALLY! :bat:

I think it would be funny, if instead of a before and after fat picture you gave before and after social pictures.

I understand what you're saying about the psychological need to eat. I have already mentioned that I eat when I'm unhappy. My key advantage is that I get wonderfully cheerful after I eat. But it does make dieting rather a conflicted exercise.

-Elwood Blues

I never thought it would be so hard trying to be nice to people

University year begins now in NZ, so went over to a staff/students meeting for Honours courses (it's like a BA Plus, but really, you want it if you want a real BA). You can really tell the difference between profs who just love the sound of their own voice and those who have actually thought about things. Then I got a haircut.

My evening schedule this week appears to alternate between church and going light drinking. Interesting.

just curious

you at Massey or Vic?

(and drinking on a tuesday night huh?) :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Feeling antsy, so went for another run. Don't normally go on consecutive days. Feels pretty good though.

-Elwood Blues

Guest The Architect

One of my best friends was in a pretty big car crash today, but luckily he didn't get seriously hurt, nor did the other driver. He told me about it earlier this afternoon. He whipped his car, and the other one was ****ed up too apparently. He went to the doctors for a check up, and he has whiplash. I'm just glad he's still alive.

Edited by The Architect

Guest The Architect

Hahaha! Stupid Kiwi. :shifty:

Didn't your Mummy teach you not to play with sharp objects? :shifty:

You're supposed to treat knives with care. They're not sheep you know. :shifty:

Lucky? He was unlucky to be in an accident in the first place. But yeah, things could've been much worse than they turned out to be, but thankfully they're not.

Edited by The Architect