• KOTOR 1 better light side.
    • KOTOR 2 better light side.
    • KOTOR 1 better dark side.
    • KOTOR 2 better dark side.
    • KOTOR 1 better characters.
    • KOTOR 2 better characters.
    • KOTOR 1 other.
    • KOTOR 2 other.
  3. 3. Do you want to see Knights of the Old Republic III?

• Yes, in RPG
    • Yes, in MMO
    • Yes, but not RPG or MMO.
    • Haven't played one of the predessors.
    • Don't care to see KOTOR 3.
    • What's an RPG or MMO?

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I like TSL, I'll pick KotOR as the better game.

But only as the better game - TSL had far better plot IMHO.

It's unfinished and hence not only unpolished but also told badly in places. I can't blame people for being miffed about the ending of TSL and going "WTF?", because frankly, I did too.

I can't blame OE, however, since it was LA's choice to cut the deadline, which hurt the game by letting something things go unfinished (the GOTO vs. Remote scene anyone? Or how about vast majority of the companions just disappearing into thin air on Malachor V?) or explained only to a degree, where the plot would become apparent only after numerous replays or by digging into the dialog.tlk file of the game.

TSL is still a great game, but it could have been so much better with just a little more work. It's a crying shame that LA wouldn't permit that.

What I disliked about KOTOR1 was how ridiculous it was.

Just think: a young, inexperienced student of the Jedi Academy managed to become a brilliant strategist overnight and led people to war. That's impossible and sounds really stupid, his background is all wrong...

The same about Malak, of course.

And Bastila. How can a padawan realistically threaten a Sith Lord on his own ship? (as in the cutscene)

KOTOR2 had some of it, too, but such slips were all connected to KOTOR1. Fans would cry if the Exile was not connected to Revan :), so she had to be "a gerenal" in the same unrealistic way.

What I liked most about KOTOR2 was that there were personal motives involved. Usually characters have pretty boring motives, it's either "save the world" or "ruin the world"... and nobody has anything personal, only two main motives to choose from!

But in KOTOR2 you can't call Kreia "bad", she was something else entirely, with her weird idea about killing the Force. It was weird, but it was something else, neither good or bad. She didn't want to conquer or ruin the world.

Sion was not truly "evil", too, he was a slave of the Dark Side because he wanted to live. Didn't want to conquer the world, too.

The same with Nihilus, a slave of his hunger.... Didn't want to conquer the world.

The Exile, too, wasn't exactly saving the world! Etc, etc.

Edited by Petra

It is only "better" because it was fully finished IMHO.

KOTOR2 can be too weird and confusing, with all the cut contents. :)

Edited by Petra

Both games were excellent, but overall the original KOTOR was better than KOTOR 2. Of course, then Obsidian/Bioware quality competition shifted gears and OE came up with NWN2, which was definitely better than the original NWN. And then came MotB and there was no more competition...

Actually, the only two companies I would trust to make a worthy KOTOR 3 are Obsidian and Bioware.

Both games were excellent, but overall the original KOTOR was better than KOTOR 2. Of course, then Obsidian/Bioware quality competition shifted gears and OE came up with NWN2, which was definitely better than the original NWN. And then came MotB and there was no more competition...

Actually, the only two companies I would trust to make a worthy KOTOR 3 are Obsidian and Bioware.

I think the first game is better (there's more things to do (places to go, tombs,etc)). ;) Edited by hugh750

I think the first game is better (there's more things to do (places to go, tombs,etc)). :)

I could not even bring myself to finish the first NWN 1 campaign, not to mention moving on to the XP pack campaigns... By contrast, I have finished the respectable NWN 2 campaign and also finished the MotB campaign, which I absolutely adore.

Back to KOTOR, though, yes the original game was better than the sequel, but both vere rather excellent.

K1 is better game just because it's combat is better balanced (doesn't make it winner material yet tho). However K2 has much, much better writing and more stuff. Too bad they never managed to get cut content in game as well as some playtesting to balance out new force powers, feats and items. Time is a bugger

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

• 2 weeks later...

HAHA, I love it...

I hope LucasArts isn't planning a KOTOR MMO, they won't have too many fans on that, according to this poll... :ermm:

I love the first KOTOR; I was literally ENTHRALLED with that one for MONTHS.

KOTOR 2 got really boring, really quick. I found myself trying to find something else to keep me busy; it just didn't have the same "magic" that the first KOTOR had. Not sure why exactly, but it just didn't do it for me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still played through KOTOR 2 a few times now, but I would just as soon reload the fisrt KOTOR and play through that again.

I think one of the things about KOTOR 2 that really got under my skin was not only all of the cut content and overall "incompleteness" of the game, but also that wretched ending. I absolutely despised Malachor V and the Sith Academy at the end of the game. What a perpetual waste of time, it was so repetitive. I found myself wishing the end would come soon, and the awfully anti-climatic ending just made it even worse; it made me feel like I wasted my time for a whole lot of nothing.

Edited by ChorusOfOne

Intel Core i5 760 2.8 GHz / MSI P55-CD53 / 8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series PC10666 1333 MHz DDR3 / MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti Hawk Edition 1 GB

Guest The Architect

It's unfinished and hence not only unpolished but also told badly in places. I can't blame people for being miffed about the ending of TSL and going "WTF?", because frankly, I did too.

I can't blame OE, however, since it was LA's choice to cut the deadline, which hurt the game by letting something things go unfinished (the GOTO vs. Remote scene anyone? Or how about vast majority of the companions just disappearing into thin air on Malachor V?) or explained only to a degree, where the plot would become apparent only after numerous replays or by digging into the dialog.tlk file of the game.

TSL is still a great game, but it could have been so much better with just a little more work. It's a crying shame that LA wouldn't permit that.

Seconded.

Im Dieing to see KotOR with a passion and just imagine how amazing it would be especially if it was made by bioware!!! TRUST ME! IF you have seen there latest game you would understand how i feel after playing MASS EFFECT!!! The way they let you design your characters is just priceless and man the graphics would be to much for ones eyes to handle! Awww yeah!!! And they would be even better since kotor3 would come out a lot later than mass effect. drool drool...and the story line and character choices and action scense are to irresitable!!!!!...................Anyways you know what i mean the game has no choice but to be better. :bat: lol

I pitty the fool who don't have the force.

KOTOR 2's storyline while incomplete had so much more potential in it. It was like Empire compared to A New Hope. Those who wanted nice wrapped up stories were miserable and hated Empire when it came out. I know I did (but I was 7 so it's understandable). And perhaps it was K2's open ended, unfinished qualities that drew me in, left me wanting more, so I replayed it and replayed it. It will never satisfy, and even if it had been given time to be completed, it would still be open ended and feeling "unfinished" because it is the middle chapter in a trilogy. My only hope is that one day, the last chapter will be told and told well.

That being said, the game is buggy as all hell and frustrating. I got stuck in a bug on Nar Shaddaa my first time through and had to completely start over after over 40 hours of game play(I went and finished all the other planets first thinking I just missed something). I enjoyed the bugs, though, that let you level infinitely on the Hississ and allowed you to duplicate crystals and completely trick our your lightsabers.

KOTOR was a much better game technically, but I got the story and moved on. It didn't make me think, it didn't make me ponder the nature of the force and it didn't make me want to strangle someone for not finishing some of the romantic options. (Though Carth's declaration of love in the middle of the party was pretty lame and disappointing).

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I'm gonna pick TSL. I love it's storyline so much! No, it doesn't have as ground-breaking turning point as K1 had, but it has sth K1's storyline lacks - a depth and darkness. I found TSL storyline to be far superior to K1 one. And WTH Kreia! The best video-game character ever! Even with whack ending, it's still my favourite game all time.

M4-78 Enhancement Project :: www.m4-78ep.deadlystream.com

banneranimatedlucasforu.gif

Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today!

Yes, K2 has much better story, unfinished as it might be. I couldn't even bring myself to make a K1 dark side playthrough, while it was interesting enough in K2 for a goody two shoes like me to play a bad guy. K1 is pretty much the usual good vs bad with often used twist, while K2 is on more personal level and makes you think. ANH vs ESB is a pretty apt comparison. Both games are too monty haul, though.

SODOFF Steam group.

Hmmm some of this is entirely wrong. An inexperienced student?????? He was flowing with the force so he could of done anything. And bastilla didn't offer much of a threat... Revan would of killed or converted her easily... but that would kill the plot

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

Hmmm some of this is entirely wrong. An inexperienced student?????? He was flowing with the force so he could of done anything. And bastilla didn't offer much of a threat... Revan would of killed or converted her easily... but that would kill the plot

What the ****?

That's entirely wrong

Thats the problem with star wars is everyone is too likely to fall to the dark side, its easier to go DS than it is to go bankrupt and thats saying something.

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

Thats the problem with star wars is everyone is too likely to fall to the dark side, its easier to go DS than it is to go bankrupt and thats saying something.

And I think this goes back to the Gray Jedi discussion in the other thread. The Jedi council would pretty much have you believe that any deviance from their way of thinking would be "falling". We see that especially with the way they treated the Exile.

As far as saying Revan was an "inexperienced student" goes, you do have to remember that these people are basically monks who do nothing but study from a very young age. By the time you hit 20ish and become a full Jedi Knight, there should be very little that you don't know, especially in your area of expertise. I can only assume that Revan's primary area of training probably was military strategy. It would make sense. Now, where Revan would have been inexperienced would have been in dealing with the rest of the world. This could be an advantage to a true strategist, and could also play a part in Revan's fall. He wouldn't be the first person to toss aside a life long ideology as soon as he gets a taste of the real world.

And I think this goes back to the Gray Jedi discussion in the other thread. The Jedi council would pretty much have you believe that any deviance from their way of thinking would be "falling". We see that especially with the way they treated the Exile.

As far as saying Revan was an "inexperienced student" goes, you do have to remember that these people are basically monks who do nothing but study from a very young age. By the time you hit 20ish and become a full Jedi Knight, there should be very little that you don't know, especially in your area of expertise. I can only assume that Revan's primary area of training probably was military strategy. It would make sense. Now, where Revan would have been inexperienced would have been in dealing with the rest of the world. This could be an advantage to a true strategist, and could also play a part in Revan's fall. He wouldn't be the first person to toss aside a life long ideology as soon as he gets a taste of the real world.

I didn't call Revan that. Makes it seem like your talking to me when you quoted me then didn't say you were responding to someone else. Good points, though.

Twitter | @Insevin

I didn't call Revan that. Makes it seem like your talking to me when you quoted me then didn't say you were responding to someone else. Good points, though.

Ah, yeah, it's a bad habit I have to respond to a particular point in someone's post and then respond to the thread topic in general in a separate paragraph... I'll try to do better next time... :)

I realize now that this poll must be annoying. I made it like a month ago and it seemed ok at the time. Since then, I've had more expeirence with TSL but I still don't change my vote: KOTOR 1. TSL didnt quite "do it for me". I don't know why.

Twitter | @Insevin