Exploding Motherboard

Oerwinde

So my computer had been giving me some trouble for a while, freezing during boot and during operation. A friend told me to try removing one of my ram sticks, I did and it worked fine. She said it was either the ram or something shorted in my motherboard. It started freezing again a couple hours later, so I figured it must be the board. This was confirmed a couple hours later when a loud pop sounded and some of my capacitors blew open and started leaking. So anyway, need a new motherboard. Don't have enough to upgrade everything, but I want something decent that will last.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...anufacture=eVGA

this is what I was looking at, all I need to know is if it will work with a Pentium D. Its LGA775 so I'm assuming it will. Anyway, any thoughts or recommendations of other boards?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Jeez, that's a really expensive board for just a Pentium D. Are you really doing SLi?

I'd go with something cheaper, without sacrificing too much quality, like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130082

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128073

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128064

Those are all assuming you are using DDR2 memory. They're also nice because you'll be able to upgrade to a Core Duo in the future. Also, be careful about any LGA775 working with a Pentium D--there are cases where the Pentium D's aren't compatible with a Mobo's FSB!

Good luck and happy shopping.

I think I just read a couple of reviews that said that the 790i chipset was every reason not to buy the 780i. Apparently the 780i is just a 680i with PCIx 2.0 support, while the 790i has a new memory controller with support for DDR3 and all the PCIx lines going through the NB for increased performance. Maybe more, but I wasn't paying too much attention, because I was looking for something else.

Edited by Janmanden

(Signatures: disabled) 

Jeez, that's a really expensive board for just a Pentium D. Are you really doing SLi?

I'd go with something cheaper, without sacrificing too much quality, like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130082

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128073

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128064

Those are all assuming you are using DDR2 memory. They're also nice because you'll be able to upgrade to a Core Duo in the future. Also, be careful about any LGA775 working with a Pentium D--there are cases where the Pentium D's aren't compatible with a Mobo's FSB!

Good luck and happy shopping.

And this is why I asked for suggestions. Not doing SLi right now, just trying to somewhat future proof my machine. I got nearly 5 years out of my dual Xeon machine before the lack of PCIe slots made upgrading my video card way too expensive. I'd like to be able to do similar here. After this, next step is a power supply or a Raptor to run windows on. I was looking for a board I could eventually upgrade to a core 2 duo as well. So suggestions are good.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

If you have the money 780i is a good way to go. I have a 680i EVGA motherboard and it works damn well. Also EVGA has one kickarse customer service. If I am going to get motherboards or video cards I go through EVGA as much as possible.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I also figured if I have an nvidia video card, it would make sense to have an nvidia mainboard too. I was looking at an EVGA 680i board, but there were two that appeared that the only difference was about 80 bucks...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813188015

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...88014(available on NCIX for 240 bucks, but appears to be identical to the above, which is 170)

Devastatorsig.jpg

The board I have is the one in your top link. Its a very nice board for the price.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

780i is obsolete now, that 790i is arriving. Also, from what I gather, nVidia chipsets for Intel processors don't enjoy the best reputation when compared to Intel's own. As Sand uses one however, he probably is the more reliable source than me who merely read about it.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I'm obviously no expert, but I was always told that you should get the best motherboard your budget can stand. It's the skeleton everything else sits in. Or the vascular system. Or a network of tubes. Or something.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm obviously no expert, but I was always told that you should get the best motherboard your budget can stand. It's the skeleton everything else sits in. Or the vascular system. Or a network of tubes. Or something.

Ditto.

Also Nvidia chipsets are fine after a few BIOS revisions and since this is basically a rehashed 680i it should be strong so i wouldn't worry about that either. What i would worry about is the heat issues by the look of the heatsinks on the mobo. I would Keep a well ventilated clean case.

If your not going to EVER run SLI then Id get this one.

Asus P5E LGA 775 Intel X38

It has 1600FSB compatibility for new Core2duo/quads coming out in the future. PCI-E2.0, runs cooler. but the 780i has all of these main features too.

ASUS Asus P5N-T Deluxe 780i Mobo Running for $259. Might be better then the stock 780i.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

One of my friends got so pissed off at his old motherboard he attacked it with his cheap mock katana. The motherboard split in half but the blade snapped.

One of my friends got so pissed off at his old motherboard he attacked it with his cheap mock katana. The motherboard split in half but the blade snapped.

A sort of festival of crappy?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yep, and it was fun. Too bad none of us had any BB shotguns.

• 1 month later...

So I got a new one, and didn't even think to check the IDE ports. So while my old MB had two IDE ports, the new one only has one, so one of my hard drives and one of my DVD drives are unusable. At first I didn't think it was a problem since I got a nice new 500 GB SATA hard drive and my older DVD drive was giving me problems anyway. I figured I'd just install windows on the SATA drive, then copy all the stuff from one hard drive onto the SATA drive and toss the old one. Problem is, now when I try plugging in the 2nd drive it gives me an error message. Something like media read error, check cable. I tried replacing the old cable with the one that came with the Motherboard, but no success. Which sucks because thats the drive with all my music and other various downloads that I really want.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ever tried the drive with a different PC? Master/slave-Settings ok? Hm...

I think it was the master/slave settings. I was using one of those vantec removable hard drive racks so it was a pain in the ass to figure it out, but eventually I just unhooked my DVD drive that was attached as a slave and plugged the drive into that. Luckily I hadn't deleted my old windows installation on my old drive because with this drive hooked up, for some reason the PC couldn't detect the windows installation on my SATA drive.

Devastatorsig.jpg