Completely new mixed drink

Walsingham

Long story shorter:

I tried to make marmalade. It burned, and I ended up with a four pound block of orangey caramel. This was impossible to eat so I boiled the block in water and seived out the bits. this is the bitter orange gomme syrup below. Essentially, boil up a mass of sugar, orange, lemon, and tangerine peel until it starts to burn and you get your caramel.

Provisional Name; "Budayeen Night"

Two measures of bitter orange gomme syrup

Two measures Decent bourbon or rye whisky

Slice of lemon or chunk of crystallised stem ginger on a stick

Shake the syrup and whisky with crushed ice, serve in an Old Fashioned glass over ice.

Refinements possible:

1. If you are comfortable doing so, shake with egg white to smooth out the flavour considerably

2. Can be served with ginger ale for a taller and more thirst quenching drink; simply pour the ginger ale over the normal mixture in a taller glass.

3. Before serving, coat the ice cubes in the Old Fashioned glass with amaretto.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Given that the syrup you made seems to be reasonably close to a non-alcoholic version of an orange liqueur like Grand Marnier or Cointreau, it sounds a little bit like a 42nd Street. Probably a bit sweet for my tastes, but it seems like a decent wintertime drink.

One question: Normally using an ice-filled shaker (which is probably necessary due to the viscosity of the syrup) means using a stemmed glass with no ice. Why the double-helping of ice?

Edited by Enoch

A sensible conclusion, but incorrect. Firstly you've got a lot of burnt sugar in this sugar syrup which makes it slightly less sweet and more bitter. Secondly, and I could be wrong, but the process infuses many more of the aromatic oils from the citrus than in Grand Marnier. This gives it a much more complex flavour that works extremely well with ginger.

The double helping of ice is simply because it is quite a strong drink and very viscous. But I just tried it without a second serving of ice and it's pretty good. :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You guys are so classy with your mixed drinks. I think it's a progressive move when I try a new microbrew.

Today is a bittersweet day, because I'm finally drinking the last of my Pumpkinhead ale.

It's made at the Shipyard Brewing Co. in Portland, Maine, and it's the only pumpkin spiced ale out there that gets it just right. So it's my last one, but I am enjoying it.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

The only drink I've gone out of my way to get, was the Singapore Sling. I went to the bar at Raffles Hotel in Singapore to get it :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Once, my friend and I was in some random persons house for a party. We were completely smashed, and out of booze. Suddenly, my friend started opening up cupboards left right and centre looking for the alcohol hoard. I believe I was leaning on the kicthen table yelling "YOU CAN'T STEAL THEIR SECRET ALCOHOL". A few seconds, minutes or hours later, she finds their stash. Among it is something called 'Banana Liqueur'. Thinking this a nice sounding drink, she opens it up and sculls a bit then tells me to find a mixer. I presumably could only find coke, because I end up making her a ****tail of:

Half Banana Liqueur

Half Coca Cola

Surprisingly, it tasted absolutely delicious. And we then finished the bottle and went to bed on the floor somewhere.

More surprisingly, I have since recreated this drink whilst sober, and found it to be an excellent ****tail, appreciated even by those who dislike banana or coke. Further, it does not burn on the way down, and the alcohol can't be tasted. Probably because it's only 20%.

Still, the biggest problem is that it costs $20 AUD, and is used up very rapidly (being half the ****tail and all, and the bottle is only 500 ml).

How hard is it to make one's own liqeurs, like banana or grand marnier? There will be room in my new house for such activities.

-Elwood Blues

Important revision:

Adding teh juice of half a lemon before shaking reallly lifts this up.

-Elwood Blues

I got this special Aztek vanilla extract when I was in Mexico on a cruise a few years ago, and I put some of it in a can of coke not too long ago, and it was pretty good. Better than regular vanilla coke.

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Important revision:

Adding teh juice of half a lemon before shaking reallly lifts this up.

Now it's starting to sound a little more like a variant of a Whiskey Sour. Most proper sour mixes are essentially sugar and lemon juice. You've probably upped the sugar content, but added the caramelization and orange/tangerine content, which I'd imagine would add a few layers to the flavor.

Perhaps a Walsingham Sour?

I don't know much about brewing/mixing one's own liqueurs, but you can infuse flavors in spirits (generally clear ones like vodkas, gins, or white rums) pretty easily, and homemade mixers made with fresh fruit are infinitely superior to what you can buy bottled at the market.

I agree it is like a whisky sour. With the amaretto it's like a godfather sour. Walsingham Sour sounds good. Easily heard by barmen.

-Elwood Blues

I just made some beef consomme to get me revved up for a late lunch. Threw in a dash of amaretto and it was absolutely stunning.

-Elwood Blues

I happened to come across an odd ****tail the other day which tasted exactly like Battenburg cake....and it resulted from a dirty pint consisting of a few peoples; Cider, WKD, Vodka, Pineapple juice, and something else which I forget.

Bloody good accidental ****tail though!

I happened to come across an odd ****tail the other day which tasted exactly like Battenburg cake....and it resulted from a dirty pint consisting of a few peoples; Cider, WKD, Vodka, Pineapple juice, and something else which I forget.

Bloody good accidental ****tail though!

Try to remember. I do like battenburg.

-Elwood Blues

Hey it's Petay!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

1) Cream

2) I believe the latter has some kind of chocolate flavoring in it. Creme de Cacao, perhaps?

Anyhow, Kahlua has always tasted like partially-rotten fertilizer sludge to me, so I avoid that whole class of beverages.

Walsingham's discussion has me thinking about putting together a citrus-y ****tail or two this evening. Based on what I have in the cupboard, perhaps I'll make a White Lady, which is equal parts of gin, orange liqueur (in my case, Cointreau), and lemon juice.

I'm a big fan of citrus in ****tails. Caipirinha or gin gimlets. And I certainly don't mind mixer digressions. :bat:

-Elwood Blues

I did end up making the "White Lady" I mentioned above, and I'm enjoying it right now. It's a satisfying drink that really doesn't deserve such a lousy name.

Something that revitalizes me whenever I go out drinking and am feeling a bit sick in the stomach is:

Midori Splice.

Pineapple juice

Midori (melon liqueur)

Malibu (coconut rum)

Cream on top/mixed in

It's like heaven.

That may well be the girliest drink I've ever heard of. I'm sorry, but I think that various laws of masculinity require that you chug a fifth of Jack Daniels before you can reclaim possession of your testicles.

You drink malibu, midori, and cream to settle your stomach?!

-Elwood Blues

Am I gay becuase I like margaritas? I mean it's really the only drink I've ever enjoyed but then again I don't drink at all. Only been exposed to beer which sucks, tequila which sucked, wine which sucks, and some coke and something which tasted like coke with an odd aftertaste which sucked. Maybe I was just born to be a no having fun loser.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

beer which sucks, tequila which sucked, wine which sucks, and some coke and something which tasted like coke with an odd aftertaste which sucked

Don't worry, liking margaritas doesn't make you gay, the above sentence has that covered that already.

Arctic Erection(or The Siberian Nightmare with guarana)

Milk

Cream scotch

Vodka

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds