Why all this eagerness around KOTOR 3 or MMO?

"Rule of thumbs, if a sequel/prequel is not announced definitively (which means there is no doubt at all- basically only word from George Lucas' mouth) from the developers within 3-5 years after the last game, then it won't happen ever and the company will most likely have "moved on". Even if it is announced...every year after that 5 year mark is generally considered "quality depreciation" in which the quality of the game (story/gameplay) will decrease significantly."

Okay, so Starcraft was originally made in 1997 and it's sequel is announced at 2007 - 10 years later. Does anyone have a doubt it's going to be a huge hit? (there were endless rumours about this game during all this decade, hell, people almost had a heart attack when WoW was ready to be announced - since Blizz's main page showed the "planet with stars" wallpaper during that day - everyone gave as certain that it would be Starcraft 2, allas, it wasn't)

So why not be content and wait even 10 years to see some high quality KOTOR in the future, maybe?

And maybe they will even announce either a MMO or a single-player sequel readily, which doens't mean the game will be ready in the next 2 years.

"Be mindful of the currents of the living Force; to do one's duty is not always to do right. Concern yourself with the right action. Let duty take care of itself."

-Qui-Gon's voice to Anakin Skywalker

"

Wow not a very well founded argument. Look at the difference in characters in SC 2. I mean the majority of the original SC dev team is gone leaving the new guys to just add content on their own. This makes alot of die hard SC fans a little queezy. Aside from that no one wanted to wait 10 years for the next SC chapter but it was made alot easier by SC's customization and fanbase which increased it's staying power. KOTOR 2 is hard to compare to a game like that.

Actually, it's otherwise a good argument, except that Starcraft was kept alive by it's awesome multiplayer, Battle.net, Korean tv and hordes of Blizzard fanboys. It's one of the very few games(others being Diablo 2 and Half Life for instance, all multiplayer) that has been a steady seller ever since it's conception and that is mostly thanks to the greatly balanced multiplayer that has been supported by Blizzard ever since.

But I kind of agree, it's a bit early to get feisty over a sequel, you need to give the gaming biz time, it'll come back to milk franchises, they are afterall franchises.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

if youre not anticipating kotor 3 you dont need to be on obsidian forums- but a MMO would not be very good... it has to be RPG and maybe, no offense to obsidian fans, but it should also maybe be given to Bioware again if the opportunity presented itself

Twitter | @Insevin

Why do you people seem so content on misinterpreting others statements? You're just as bad as religious extremists.

It is a rule of thumbs, which is generally accurate, though of course there are exceptions, I never once said it was fool proof guaranteed. Why would you think what I say is undisputed fact? Seriously, you can't be that dim.

I would love a new KOTOR game, but the clock is ticking.

And don't even try to compare a single player game to an online game, there is no basis for comparison. Online games have twice, if not 3 or 4 more times the "shelf life" than a single player/console game.

And before you misinterpret AGAIN....that is not to say all single player/console games follow this basic rule of thumbs, because they too can have exceptions.

Now onto this "walkerguy"

if youre not anticipating kotor 3 you dont need to be on obsidian forums

It is a KOTOR 2 and general Star Wars forum, how dare you think you have the right to tell people what they should or shouldn't do. Show me where on these Obsidian forums is a forum dedicated just to K3....Go on, show me the forum, not the topics, the forum. and since you can't do that, I'd suggest you shut the.....well....you know....

Edited by Darth Hades
wookiedance.gif

Why do you people seem so content on misinterpreting others statements? You're just as bad as religious extremists.

Why do you feel the need to "enlight" ppl of the "statistically probable" impending doom of kotor franchise/its inevitable quality decline? You're just as bad as a republican.

Seriously... you can save yourself some time and just use this:

Tom%20photo%20for%20tract.JPG

(Just photoshop in "of kotor")

For Christ sake some ppl are still waiting for DN For(n)ever... and homeworld 2 just got a spiritual succesor thats getting hight praise so... go peddle your negative energy wares somewhere else, we`re getting our K3 and its gonna be a grade A RPG :bat:

:p

Show me where on these Obsidian forums is a forum dedicated just to K3....Go on, show me the forum, not the topics, the forum. and since you can't do that, I'd suggest you shut the.....well....you know....

Now onto this "Darth Hades" :bat: Excuse me mister high and mighty darth piece of- if you have something against upcoming KOTORs, then why are you here? I know, you're here in the non-spesific area trying to convince people to join you in your disruptive rampage against KOTOR by turning it inot a MMO. some of the best games have "short shelf lives" because you cant turn it into a mockery be playing it online every day lof your life until a sequel debuts!

I won't let you draw me into another argument, Darth. There is no emotion; there is peace.

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

"if you have something against upcoming KOTORs, then why are you here?"

Quote me where I said I had something against KOTOR games, go ahead, go find the quote.

Once again you misinterpret what I said, and this time it was clear as day, seriously, are you even schooled? Can you read?

wookiedance.gif

"if you have something against upcoming KOTORs, then why are you here?"

Quote me where I said I had something against KOTOR games, go ahead, go find the quote.

Once again you misinterpret what I said, and this time it was clear as day, seriously, are you even schooled? Can you read?

Oh well it seems you would like Knights of the Old Republic III to be a Massively Multiplayer Online game, correct? I believe you are against RPG KOTOR 3, ok, Darth? Really, how can Knights become a MMO? Why don't you post a new topic to show me if I am wrong. Quote, "And don't even try to compare a single player game to an online game, there is no basis for comparison. Online games have twice, if not 3 or 4 more times the "shelf life" than a single player/console game." I'm sure you'd love to play KOTOR 3 if it eventually comes out. Nobody is misconstruing what you said. Just start the topic supporting your MMO or leave my "unschooled" self alone. NOWHERE do you APPROVE of an RPG. However, this particular forum isn't even about what form KOTOR 3 should be in- so we shouldn't even be having this argument, and, it is YOU who started it. If we're not on the same page about arguing about either looking forward to KOTOR 3 or arguing over which form it should be in, then YOU should of stopped this interchange. Look back at the posts. I even approved of you in some other forum until you assaulted me here so anyhow, yes... you know what I've got to say.

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

Oh, c'mon. Go ****slap each other into private messages or something.

To quote my gothfag friend: "I can't bear to see this travesty unfold".

I mean, he is gay without trying, while you two have to write several paragraphs.

To not be entirely off the topic, I think there's a high chance of K3 being an eventuality, one that is singleplayer. Even LucasArts isn't so stupid as to force mmo on it's humongous KotOR fanbase. While an eventuality, however, it's not out of the question that an mmo-iteration of KotOR might be in LA's sights first before K3. It's a very marketable franchise and so is the genre, so an amalgam sounds like something the producers likely wouldn't want to miss. Yet, they generally only have one Star Wars AA title out at a time and most of their marketing is targeted towards that one. This time, we'll likely have to wait until after Force Unleashed before a new Star Wars game of such magnitude. K3 might be years ahead as it is.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds