The customer always right?

Walsingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7228460.stm

Ebay plans to abolish the right of sellers to leave negative comments about buyers. This strikes me as nonsense. The fact is that the world contains a percentage of unreiable eedjits and fraudsters. Of these many will make their way onto ebay. Sellers should have the right to respond.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I never sold anything on eBay but I've baught a few items.

User feedback is essential so as not to get screwed.

When a seller has a lot of positive feedback on thousands of items, a buyer can hardly go wrong.

I feel this idea is crap. Sellers need to know who they're dealing with on eBay. It's not like a store where a credit card number can be traced and criminals are found relatively easy.

This has the potential to kill eBay and online shopping, or perhaps it is a first step for governments and credit companies to gain more control of the internets?

Now I have a reason to stay away from eBay, too... I was a regular customer and sold things every now and then. Should a customer base still exist in the future, I might continue selling, and stay honest, but without a meaningful rating and comment-system, I'll abandon it as a buyer's platform.

The same would be true for price-comparison sites without the rating system for the shops: It just makes it impossible to be confident in a seller.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Haha, you're right! So my argumentation should be reversed too, which is a shame too, because behind my desk, things to be sold are stacking up. So, anyone care for Sugababes or Madonna CDs, a DVD-Rom, German Version of Midkemia Saga, a uniquely modded GF6800GT AGP with an Arctic Cooling cooler? :lol:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I think a lot of you have read it bacwards. The seller will still be rated, the buyer will not.

Ebay plans to abolish the right of sellers to leave negative comments about buyers.

Yup, it's not talking about sellers feedback which I agree is very important.

I like this move by eBay. Sellers will usually just wait to ship if the buyer hasn't paid. When I started with eBay and PayPal, I had to wait a week for my account to be registered and I had already put in an order. I just emailed the seller telling him what happened and he was cool with it. I would hate if he was spiteful and left negative feedback on me saying I didn't pay fast enough or something which would make other sellers less willing to buy from me.

Pro-tip, always pay immediately. :D

Sure you'd hate it if you got bad feedback, but there's a world of difference between being late on a first payment as you get set up and being a constant complainer always trying to weasel compensation.

This smacks of some buffel-headed sales/PR drone staring limpidly into space and murmuring "People fighting, like, makes the site tense and upsets smoothness. And stuff." Far better to have transparency in my book.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.