4E Forgotten Realms

For everyone's reading convenience:

Magical power and fantastic features abound in the Forgotten Realms. Arcane secrets whisper to those with the ears to hear in the eons-long movement of the continents, in rushing river rapids, in every inhalation of beasts great and small, and in the sighing cries of the wind. Raw magic is the wild stuff of creation itself, the mute and mindless will of being, suffusing every bit of matter and coursing within every manifestation of energy throughout the world.

Wizards, warlocks, clerics, sorcerers, bards, paladins, and even rogues, fighters, rangers, and other adventurers call upon personally derived threads of magic to cast mighty spells, enforce pacts with enigmatic entities, heal injury, ward against evil, or accomplish physical feats that transcend purely mortal means.

Dangerous monsters, too, call up frightful magic to accomplish their deceitful ends. Aberrations spawned by ancient magic seethe below the earth and above it, hungry for flesh and knowledge alike, waiting for the chance to feed. Dragons whose blood runs with magic wield abilities so potent that gods and primordials alike fear to face the most ancient of these mighty beings. Undead fuel their mind and protect their corpses from dissolution by powerful necromantic rituals, especially liches, whose never-ending acquisition of arcane knowledge has propelled more than a few into contention with divine designs.

Indeed, magic is so bountiful in Abeir-Toril that even the land bristles with fantastic landscapes. Great motes of free-hanging earth balance on nothing but air, amazing all those who chance upon these mighty demonstrations of nature

From all the articles I have read about how they are changing the Forgotten Realms they are basically making a new setting and tacking on the FR name on it so it can sell. No thank you.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Rich married his college sweetheart, Kim, in 1991; they have two daughters, Alex and Hannah.

...Good to know.

I don't mind big changes to FR, and it's not such a bad idea, the Spellplague. And if an author/DM wants to avoid it I'm sure the setting allows for pockets of anomalies where practically, spells and magic still does work.

Rich married his college sweetheart, Kim, in 1991; they have two daughters, Alex and Hannah.

...Good to know.

I don't mind big changes to FR, and it's not such a bad idea, the Spellplague. And if an author/DM wants to avoid it I'm sure the setting allows for pockets of anomalies where practically, spells and magic still does work.

Magic items are as plentiful as ever

Which just goes to show that even with its cosmology, geography, demography and everything else completely overhauled and radically changed, the Forgotten Realms are still as munchkin as ever.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

Praised be Tzeentch!

All bow down to the Lord of Change... :p

So, that means all current (including NWN2) D&D platforms and engines are no longer good?

That might have a detrimental effect on expansions :sad:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

am not a fan o' the fr setting. only way we can see to make more Gromnir-friendly is to take a flamethrower to it and start from scratch.

its greatest weakness may also be its one saving grace: lack o' identity. can pretty much find anything you want... if you look long enough and hard enough. though why anybody would look so long and hard is beyond our ken. developers sole goal seems to insure that everybody can find something they like. ice cream... thinks o' ice cream flavors. Gromnir likes vanilla and you like chocolate and john likes mint and betty likes coffee. fine. choice is a wonderful thing. problem is that we doubt anybody likes vanillachocolatemintcoffee. Gromnir hates drow as pcs, but developers know that some people love'em... so they purposefully made 'em playable and disproportionate powerful. killed off bane... but some people liked bane, so they resurrect... poorly. give everybody what they want and you end up with something horrible. nevertheless, a clever dm can isolate aspects o fr... find some workable corner of the realms.

Gromnir ain't target audience for fr setting, so minor/major changes mean little to us.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

nevertheless, a clever dm can isolate aspects o fr... find some workable corner of the realms.

Which, really, is what most (good) DMs/designers do, isn't it? I think it is sensible to pick only one or two settings within the FR setting (e.g. Thay/Rasheman).

the problem is that there is so much Crap in the frs, and players got access to it.

"But in the FRCS it says..."

to start a fr campaign you gotta lay down some pretty harsh ground rules from start, and there is usually a negotiation process involved.

player: Why can't I play a half-ogre character? It was made available as a playable race in one of the fr supplements. Oh, and I should be able to monkey-grip too. Yeah, a half-orge monkey gripping a 2-handed sword. Sweet!

dm: you can't play such a munchkiny character... 'cause i said so.

player: Well, if I can't play a half-ogre, then how about a drow anti-paladin?

dm: *groan*

player: You don't allow anti-paladins? Why not? Well, I have a list of three dozen prestige class combinations that I would like to know whether you would at least consider. All the prestige classes on my list are FR canon, so if I meet the prerequisites I don't see why I shouldn't get a shot to play them.

dm: perhaps we can play a Boot Hill campaign instead? nobody here has played Boot Hill, right? good.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

to start a fr campaign you gotta lay down some pretty harsh ground rules from start, and there is usually a negotiation process involved.

True *sigh*

I think I've already stated what I dislike about the changes to the FR. Or was that on a different board? In short: Why do they keep the name, while most certainly scaring away most players, especially the fans, of the setting / rules as they were before? Very bad move imo. Draconians. Spellplague, Mystra dead - again. Mainly most represented region unscathed. Pantheons crippled. All available thumbs down (I wish I had more than two), Wizards!

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

might not be buying it myself.

I might go off to hackmaster or maybe castlemourne........

all said and done, all wotc will end up doing is sending off the FR's older faqnbase just to get a good deal of the WOW children, and then all they do is break even.

the more i read in those articles, the more it pisses me off, then they post something i like.

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

the FR's older fanbase

FR has an older fanbase? You mean, like 18 year olds?

as much as Gromnir would hope that we could blame fr success on the young, taht ain't the reality. frs has been 'round a good long time, and many folks who liked in the early 90s still plays. alfa were one of nwn's larger pws... had more than a thousand members at one point. were a pw attempting to recreate large portions of the frs. Gromnir spoke with many of the alfa members, and while some were young and dumb, many others were not.

it may seem as if only possible demographic fr could appeal to is young and foolish, but that just ain't the truth. would be so much easier to simply dismiss all fr fans 'cause of age/experience, but we cannot.

HA! Good Fun!

Anybody care to summarize the changes that 4E is making?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

To the ruleset, or to the FR?

The FR's oft-neglected areas (Mulhorand, Unther, Halruaa, the Shaar) are being thrown out in favor of wild magic-ravaged badlands. The popular areas are more or less exactly the same as they were before.

Looks like the Red Wizards are being replaced by the Shadovar as the magic using ubervillains of the setting.

So overall, not much has changed at all.

To the ruleset, or to the FR?

The FR's oft-neglected areas (Mulhorand, Unther, Halruaa, the Shaar) are being thrown out in favor of wild magic-ravaged badlands. The popular areas are more or less exactly the same as they were before.

Looks like the Red Wizards are being replaced by the Shadovar as the magic using ubervillains of the setting.

So overall, not much has changed at all.

I was asking about both, I guess. Thanks for the FR info. I'll go ask in the other 4E thread.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

to answer arkan, waterdeep is now a small port town, noteworthy only for the Prancing Pony brothel and its fat eunuch proprietor... a deceitful rogue named elminster who seems to traffic in information as much as he does flesh and narcotics.

no, wait, that is in Gromnir's version o' the frs.

only has run a fr campaign a couple times, but to keep our sanity we made some serious changes. too bad wotc won't do likewise... not the eunuch elminster bit, but the "serious changes" part.

HA! Good Fun!