LOST

Kor Qel Droma

Did anyone else think that the Frozen Time Wheel was off its axis and skipping because of that(and causing time to skip as well)?

What are you asking exactly?

That the writers kept it "open" (so to speak) so they could use it to tie up some loose ends.. ?

Fortune favors the bald.

Did anyone else think that the Frozen Time Wheel was off its axis and skipping because of that(and causing time to skip as well)?

What are you asking exactly?

That the writers kept it "open" (so to speak) so they could use it to tie up some loose ends.. ?

I'm asking if anyone else got the impression that the time-leaps were happening because Ben "broke" the wheel by making it come off its axis. Because the wheel was off it's axis it kept going back and forth and then Locke fixed it by turning it himself.

I'm asking if anyone agrees with my interpretation of the events.

I'm asking if anyone else got the impression that the time-leaps were happening because Ben "broke" the wheel by making it come off its axis. Because the wheel was off it's axis it kept going back and forth and then Locke fixed it by turning it himself.

I'm asking if anyone agrees with my interpretation of the events.

Yeah I'm sure most got that impression, since Christian goes to great length to tell Locke he was supposed to do it and that Locke shouldn't have trusted Ben, Christian even says "since when did listening to him, get you anywhere worth a damn".

Fortune favors the bald.

The 'rules' of the island don't make any sense at all. I think it highly unlikely that any explanation will be forthcoming other than more hints. If it did it would certainly be a first, any full explanation is bound to be disappointing.

The only thing this highly unlikely story construct has going for it is the mystique, without that fig leaf it would be laugable.

It's like the creature from the black lagoon, you wait an hour for a glimpse of a guy in a fish suit, but everything up to that is scary.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The 'rules' of the island don't make any sense at all. I think it highly unlikely that any explanation will be forthcoming other than more hints. If it did it would certainly be a first, any full explanation is bound to be disappointing.

The only thing this highly unlikely story construct has going for it is the mystique, without that fig leaf it would be laugable.

It's like the creature from the black lagoon, you wait an hour for a glimpse of a guy in a fish suit, but everything up to that is scary.

It's good when you believe that it will all make sense in the end. If it won't THEN I'll be disappointed, at the moment I'm just along for the ride.

I can no longer edit my post, but I've changed my mind on some stuff and made some changements in the while so read this one. (and go ahead and delete the previous one, mods)

I don't know, the whole plot is starting to sound more and more like a big self fulfilling prophecy, so that makes perfect sense.

Perhaps the Island is a device that keeps the timeline intact?

I think it's more than that, rather than simply keeping it intact I believe it can actually manipulate the timeline. Which is why people want it so bad.

Pierre Chang said that if they could harness the exotic energy, it would allow them to manipulate time. But he also said you can't change the past. How about the future though?

It could also be the reason for many strange coincidences. During the ages, people (Widmore, Jacob?) might have tried to abuse the Island in order to change/control their destiny, but the universe/timeline/destiny kicks in and course corrects itself. Amongst those course corrections is sending a bunch of people, all of them chosen for a very specific reason, ironically to the one place where time travel/manipulation is possible (behind enemy lines sort of), having them go through a series of events that shapes them for their eventual task/destiny and eventually leads them back in time where they fulfill their destiny: undoing/preventing whatever abusive changes to destiny would be made then. All our characters are just pawns in an epic game of Free Will (the Island and/or its exotic energy, Jacob? Desmond?) vs universal Course Correction / Destiny. Course Correction sent Flight 815 to the Island, but whatever force (Jacob?) that is controlling Free Will also placed some pawns on the plane, or tried to use Desiny's own pawns against itself, to counter.

Ironically again, Locke, whilst believing to fulfill his destiny, could actually be a pawn of Free Will (Jacob) trying to break destiny.

Charlie too was a pawn of Free Will. He was the musician necessary to break the code in the Looking Glass, which caused the Island to be found by the Freighter, and the Oceanic 6 to leave, and thereby break destiny. Destiny was aware of this, and thus wanted to kill him.

But Desmond had been radiated by the exotic energy, and had thereby gained its ability to manipulate time. This allowed him to keep Charlie alive long enough. Eventuallly though, rather than abuse this power and change destiny, I think he will have to use it to correct it. And for this to happen, Course Correction sends/sent him Daniel Faraday, who not only saves him from the Island's built-in defense mechanism against anyone with such powers ever leaving the Island (time travel sickness), but also tells him to go to his mother, whose knowledge of time travel is a direct result of her interest sparked by her own son (unbeknownst at the time to herself) in 1954 on the Island (Eloise = Ellie). All part of the Course Correction.

Phew, I hope that makes sense somehow.

One problem with this theory: if Hawking really is the time cop I think she is (an agent of Course Correction), then Ben would be working both alongside Jacob / Free Will and Destiny.

For something totally different: I wonder if Locke, as Jeremy Bentham, will be able to walk.

Edited by Pope

Another great episode. We did get a lot of answers, and also more questions.

1) What did Kate do with Aaron?

2) Is Penny dead or was Desmond able to run Ben off? (Because I'm sure that's what Ben was up to.)

3) Where are Sun and Sayid?

4) If a time flash got Jack, Kate & Hurley (which is what appears to have happened) what happened to the Ajira Flight? (We saw Ajira airways water bottles in the Losties' abandoned camp at an unspecified time during one of the jumps, making me think that they still crashed).

5) Did Frank jump or crash?

6) Jin appears to be working for Dharma... how long have the Lefties been in the Dharma timeline if the O6 just experienced a flash?

7) How did Hurley know to be on the flight? Did Charlie tell him? (Hence the guitar?)

I'm sure there are more too... but those are the ones that I can think of that originated from this show alone.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I actually thought the episode was a little weak ..

My biggest problem was that it feels like the writers are stalling - sure there were some hints, like the guitar and Sayid being arrested, like Kate was originally, and so on. But they way they handled how the O6 got together was pretty weak - I mean: "don't ask my about Aaron... ever!" felt to me like they didn't really have a good answer for why Kate would come along and decided to stall until they can come up with a good explaination. Or maybe it was Evangeline's acting that put me off?

Although I quite liked the twist with Jin at the end.

Fortune favors the bald.

So is the island kinda like the Heart of Gold? Does it require very low probabilities to work its magic or something?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

My biggest problem was that it feels like the writers are stalling - sure there were some hints, like the guitar and Sayid being arrested, like Kate was originally, and so on. But they way they handled how the O6 got together was pretty weak - I mean: "don't ask my about Aaron... ever!" felt to me like they didn't really have a good answer for why Kate would come along and decided to stall until they can come up with a good explaination. Or maybe it was Evangeline's acting that put me off?

I'd say it was mostly Evangeline's acting... blech! She was pretty good when she was playing her cover personality, always keeping the real "Kate" hidden, but ready to kick someone's head in if they got in her way. But once she stopped being the fugitive it's like the character lost all definition. She really can't act for crap. I never, for one second, bought her as a mother on any level and while I liked her for the first couple of seasons, she's just been degraded into this always unhappy whiney, annoying thing.

I get what you're saying a little about the stalling... but I think that particular stall comes from the fact that they cannot bring the kids back to the island this season and have them be the right ages for whatever they're doing next season. They learned their lesson with Walt. Kids grow too fast and screw up the timeline. Get them out of the story right up until the end.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Yeah, I though that something was wrong/missing in this episode as well. I didn't like the fact that they just pulled these new questions out of nowhere to add potential flashbacks/forwards/sideways to the story later. Why not spend an episode showing how Kate lost Aron, Sayid got arrested and Hurley got out of prison. They are making big mysteries out of them when they are probably just Ben pulling some strings. Also the plane crashing/not crashing and people teleporting out was kind of a cop-out. Why not have them crash and then get caught in the time-jump stuff?

Otherwise it was a good episode, with a nice LOST moment at the end. I would really like to know if Ben killed Penny and if not then what "business" did he take care of.

Also, I don't get why they changed this episode around with the Locke/Jeremy Bentham episode. They made it look like Locke just said screw it and hung himself(which isn't probably true).

And I still hate the "xx hours earlier" kind of episodes. "You saw the end, now look at all the boring stuff", yay!

I thought it was great.

The guy who gave Jack his condolences will probably wind up on the Island as well; he gave me the same feeling Desmond did when we first saw him in the stadium in Jack's flashback. I hope Frank does too.

And I'm also sure Aaron, Ji Yeon, Charlie Hume, and Clementine (Sawyer's daughter) will end up on the Island as adults in season 6.

Edited by Pope

I actually enjoyed the episode.

Its cold and lonely here. :)

I didn't mind the Kate/Aaron thing or the "what was Ben up to" thing or even the "how did Sayid get arrested" thing. It seemed like it followed the shows typical format to introduce a mystery to illuminate later. Since we're still doing "centric" episodes, it makes sense to leave those things for something else down the line.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Haha! 5th season and I still have no clue what is happening or who the bad guys are. ;(

I think that both Ben and Widmore are evil, to be honest.

I think Alpert is Neutral.

May change that evaluation later on.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Locke as a character frustrates the hell out of me, but whenever they air an episode revolving around him I always end up pitying the poor bastard. No different last night.

Pretty neat how Locke and co. are on the small island, and the O6 (well, most of them?) ended up on the main one. When is a totally different subject, however.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Alpert could be evil. I won't discount that possibility.

And all THREE could be evil too.

Jacob could be evil as well.

It seems to me like there is two tiers among the levels of power behind the curtain, with Linus and Widmore being less powerful upstarts who are trying to take definite control of the island. The really powerful ones are Alpert, Hawking and, of course, Jacob. It seems to me like these three have always been dismissive of Benjamin Linus, and as for Widmore, I think he rebelled against the rest of the Others, in order to take the island for himself.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It struck me as odd that Ben didn't know about Hawking. Even more shocking was the lack of surprise from Hawking when Ben appeared in her church in the last episode.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

It seems to me like there is two tiers among the levels of power behind the curtain, with Linus and Widmore being less powerful upstarts who are trying to take definite control of the island. The really powerful ones are Alpert, Hawking and, of course, Jacob. It seems to me like these three have always been dismissive of Benjamin Linus, and as for Widmore, I think he rebelled against the rest of the Others, in order to take the island for himself.

I agree about the two tiers, but I think that Richard is not "powerful". He knows what he has to do and does it, he has no ambition beyond that. Maybe he is the default leader of the Others when there is no leader, being immortal helps too.