LOST

Kor Qel Droma

Well I am afraid it will. The foot statue was already a big hint towards an ancient civilization, and the fact that it only has four toes implied it was most likely advanced. And now the Magic Time Travel Wheel (sigh) kinda confirms that.

I'm not saying every mysterious event will be attributed to such a civilization. But its mere presence is enough to make me roll my eyes in disgust for the lack of originality.

Edited by Pope

The wheel is nothing more than a precursor to Dharma. A manipulation of the mystical effects of the island. And was probably built by Richard's ancestors. If not Richard and those like him, themselves.

We know people have been on the island for ages. We know Dharma did nothing but put facilities ontop of anomalies. Is it so awkward that someone might have done the same before them? All the wheel does is confirm what we've known since season 1. People were on the island before Dharma.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

True, but I have less difficulty swallowing the manipulation of time and space by a modern Dharma than an ancient civilization. And even then I think it's a bit over the top.

It probably went like this. The natives found a way to (ab)use the Island's anomalies to control time and space, but the Island got angered by these meddlings with fate and made the volcano burst, destroying most of the civilization. So the natives returned to their primitive ways, hence the ragged clothing. Centuries passed, Dharma discovered the Island (through the Black Rock's log), and tried to do the same. The natives remembered the Island's displeasement and purged them in order to prevent another catastrophic event.

Hmm...there is still a good amount of debate about why the Maya abandoned there rather elaborate cities. I can see LOST keying in on something like that. It doesn't mean it's going to go X-Files on us. 4 seasons without any hint of alien life probably means there won't be any.

We do not know how it got off the Island. All we know is it did, and it wound op in Widmore's hands.

Come to think of it, I might have been mistaken. Widmore obtained the log because he knew it would lead him to the Island. How Dharma discovered the place is as of yet unknown, though it will certainly have something to do with Alvar Hanso being a descendant of the Hanso on the Black Rock.

I wonder if that's how the Black Rock ended up in the middle of the jungle. It was probably out at sea somewhere when an island appeared under it.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Good thinking, Kor!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• 2 months later...

That's not a spoiler, she could be coming back in a number of roles, and they bring people back for flashbacks constantly. She might just pass someone in the airport.

I'm really excited. 2 more seasons to go! I'm amazed that I've been able to really keep up with it for the entire series.

It kinda is a spoiler. I was totally surprised to see Walt in the season 3 finale. I was totally surprised to see Desmond in the season 2 finale. Both of those were awesome Lost moments. Had someone told me about those appearances before, it wouldn't have been the same shock effect at all. To illustrate, I was not surprised to see Michael in season 4, because I already knew about it.

I'm not that excited anymore. Lost jumped the shark for me with the ancient magic time travel wheel. I think I can handle time travel. I think I can handle an ancient lost civilization. But I don't think I can handle an ancient time traveling island-teleporting civilization.

It's not so much that I really despise those story elements. In any other show I might've loved them. But for me, all speculation (which is all of Lost's appeal) ended when they introduced the concept of a civilzation that can do just about anything. I was one of those geeks checking the forums for theories and discoveries after each new episode. Now that anything is possible, what's the point (and fun) in trying to make sense of it all?

Edited by Pope

I'm not that excited anymore. Lost jumped the shark for me with the ancient magic time travel wheel. I think I can handle time travel. I think I can handle an ancient lost civilization. But I don't think I can handle an ancient time traveling island-teleporting civilization.

Maybe it's a civilization that doesn't exist yet?

Still a lot of questions to be answered. :sorcerer:

The plot has gotten a little bit out there, but I have to say I'm so caught up in the series I want to know how it ends. I'm going to continue to tune in but I will admit that this last season pushed my suspension of disbelief a tad.

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent the last 3 weeks or so watching all four seasons of Lost for the first time.

Maybe seeing them all back to back affected my perception (likely) but I didn't find season four to be implausible at all. The frozen wheel was an odd representation of the technology, but I think my current thought is that the island didn't actually move, but as the rabbit did, "appeared" to disappear because it was thrown forward in time. I also think that the turning of the wheel changes the compass bearing at which you can enter / leave the island.

But of course that's all speculation.

Here are the thematic elements that I think are fundamental to understanding what's going on in the show.

Backgammon - two players, one light, one dark - I think the most interesting thing about the link to backgammon is the fact that in the game, you use your checkers and your rolls to "reset" the other players' checkers back to the beginning. Also, Ben's comment that "he changed the rules" suggests that he was fully aware that they were playing a game of some sort.

Con Games - There are just waaaaay too many con men involved in the back stories for this to be a coincidence. Someone is being conned somewhere.

Psychics - I think it's interesting that the psychic who sent Claire on the plane and the "medium", Miles, who spoke to the dead, both seem a little disgusted with their abilities. The psychic even told Eko that he was a fraud, even though it's pretty obvious he must have had flashes similar to Desmond's. Miles is a really interesting case, too. He obviously has the ability to hear the dead, but at the same time he seems to treat it like it's a scam. I'll definitely be interested in seeing more next season.

Christ Imagery - There are a lot of them, but when Locke is carrying his father's body back to the Others' camp he is visibly carrying his "cross" over his shoulder, is the most obvious example to me.

Christian (Jack's Dad) - I think Christian is the key to understanding everything. When we find out what his actual connection to the island is, I think it will all make sense.

There's a lot more, of course, but those are the ones that stand out to me the most right now.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

• 4 months later...
Meh, Im excited while at the same time not so excited. I barely even remember wth is going on anymore.

Yeah true that. I'm excited in the sense that it means I have another show to keep me busy on the weekends but at the same time it feels like its been 5 years since I've seen the show and I don't really remember a whole heck of a lot. Not to mention each season is basically a further degrading of the pure insane awesomeness of the first season, though if I remember correctly last season was pretty good and full of surprises but still nothing will be as good as the pure mysticism and creepiness of the first.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I'm actually pretty anxious for season five to begin. Where ( or when, if you've seen any previews) is the island? Is Jin alive? Will Jack and Ben succeed in reuniting the Oceanic 6? Is Claire a crackpot? How did Locke die? Or is he dead?

Season four was good, like really good, depending on how much you can suspend your belief in all things realistic. But at the same time, it's tv. If you don't like the mystery or time travel stuff, go watch Scrubs or Desperate Housewives...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Meh, Im excited while at the same time not so excited. I barely even remember wth is going on anymore.

Yeah true that. I'm excited in the sense that it means I have another show to keep me busy on the weekends but at the same time it feels like its been 5 years since I've seen the show and I don't really remember a whole heck of a lot. Not to mention each season is basically a further degrading of the pure insane awesomeness of the first season, though if I remember correctly last season was pretty good and full of surprises but still nothing will be as good as the pure mysticism and creepiness of the first.

Imo season 2 was the best, and season 3 the worst.

S2 had the hatch (still the best season opener to date imo), Desmond, Eko and Henry "got milk?" Gale. Oh, and Ana Lucia got shot; priceless. It's really hard to top all of that.

S3 on the other hand, started with 6 extremely dull episodes before going on yet another hiatus, which completely killed my excitement for the rest of the season, even though it got better eventually. All thanks to Desmond mind you.

S4 got just a little too wacky for my tastes (a teleporting island ffs), and even though we really didn't get all that much new info (we already knew they were going to get off the island, and we already knew they would have to go back, so no big surprises there), at least the plot was obviously going somewhere. And since we've gotten this far we ain't going to quit now.

S5 might actually reveal why the O6 need to return, which is kinda the point of the whole show: why oh why were they brought to the island?

On the time travel topic: I feel ambiguous towards it. On one hand, the affirmation of the element of time travelling killed all possibility of reasonable speculation (which is what made the show so intriguing to begin with, but if an island can teleport then what's the use of trying to find a reasonable explanation for it all?); on the other hand, every episode up until now that included time travelling has been pretty awesome. So I'm definitely curious as to how they're going to handle it.

When they started that record player at the beginning of the episode I was sure it was gonna play Steve Miller's 'Fly Like An Eagle"

time keeps on slipping'

into the fuuutuuuuuuure

Great two hours to kick off the season.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif