KOTOR 3 Release Speculation

Now not to be confused with the Kotor 3 suggestions etc.. I would like to discuss why people think Kotor 3 is yet to be announced and perhaps about all this Kotor 3 MMO speculation.

Personally I'm leaning towards Lucas Arts not wanting to interrupt sale of The Force Unleashed or even Battlefront 3 (after TFU is out of course). Anyone have any thoughts?

Also does anyone else think the Kotor MMO would be kind of interesting? I've actually never played any MMO's as of yet so if I was to start it would either be SW: Galaxies or perhaps this rumoured game.

Edited by dead1486

I doubt it is even in production, not to mention planning stages.

The whole "secret project" thing is laughable even as a speculation. It's not like LucasArts is a strong enough subsidiary of LucasFilm to be able to fund that many teams, especially since apparently they're making less and less profit now that the prequels are milked through.

As for Kotor MMO, I've played MMOs and I assure that it isn't nearly as thrilling as they often get described. They can be though, with a great team of designers, but it's not something I see Lucas having right now.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The whole "secret project" thing is laughable even as a speculation. It's not like LucasArts is a strong enough subsidiary of LucasFilm to be able to fund that many teams, especially since apparently they're making less and less profit now that the prequels are milked through.

As for Kotor MMO, I've played MMOs and I assure that it isn't nearly as thrilling as they often get described. They can be though, with a great team of designers, but it's not something I see Lucas having right now.

True yet it would make alot of sense not to announce a new project with one already well into development.

Then again everyone thought Bioware was "secretly" developing it without saying anything so as not to affect potential Mass Effect customers. Personally I couldn't see Lucas Arts dropping any money making franchise as they enjoy beating everything to death so we'll have to see how it plays out. Not saying I wouldn't be one of the first people in line to buy Kotor 3 it's just they really do milk alot of stuff dry.

Sadly, a KOTOR 3 will suffer the same fate as a Super Mario RPG sequel, Skies of Arcadia sequel and any other game that has been popular, with fans demanding sequels/prequels...and nothing will be made.

Rule of thumbs, if a sequel/prequel is not announced definitively (which means there is no doubt at all- basically only word from George Lucas' mouth) from the developers within 3-5 years after the last game, then it won't happen ever and the company will most likely have "moved on". Even if it is announced...every year after that 5 year mark is generally considered "quality depreciation" in which the quality of the game (story/gameplay) will decrease significantly.

Speculation gives people hope...but it is a false hope. Though if the game was made, there is a very, very good chance that it will have nothing to do with Revan, Exile or any of that which people "expect".

wookiedance.gif

What makes you think that they make less profit now?

Their two most successful titles both came out after the last movie.

What about the "secret project" is so laughable?

Bioware is developing something for them, so it's not like they have to use a full crew for that. They have to make sure that everything goes in line with Star Wars continuity, are responsible for sound any maybe a few other things, but that's hardly something you need to have a big team for.

LucasArts wouldn't be responsible for designing, so why would it matter whether they have any great designers?

If the cooperation with Bioware doesn't have anything to do with KOTOR, than I'll doubt that we will see another KOTOR-game anytime soon. If it does, I really hope that it's not an MMO.

What makes you think that they make less profit now?

Their two most successful titles both came out after the last movie.

What about the "secret project" is so laughable?

Bioware is developing something for them, so it's not like they have to use a full crew for that. They have to make sure that everything goes in line with Star Wars continuity, are responsible for sound any maybe a few other things, but that's hardly something you need to have a big team for.

LucasArts wouldn't be responsible for designing, so why would it matter whether they have any great designers?

If the cooperation with Bioware doesn't have anything to do with KOTOR, than I'll doubt that we will see another KOTOR-game anytime soon. If it does, I really hope that it's not an MMO.

What can I say? It's all speculation. :) It's true though that now that LucasArts has ran out of movies(you have to milk before it's curdle) to profit, they have to try other assets.

I understand that it's not worthwhile to argue with fans, but the thought of a secret project itself is funny. It's like there's a big hush hush over a possible sequel to a best-selling game. I mean, isn't that an oxymoron itself? Shouldn't they be marketing the **** out of this secret project if it really is what the fans speculate? It's an immense cash co, why keep a lid on it? Is it because they don't want people to miss out the hype over Force Unleashed? Is the marketing department of Lucas really stupid? Or is it just that there's no secret project at all?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I can tell you that no company wants to reveal its entire hand all at once. Look back on all the star wars games and you will see it is very rare for 2 to be developed or even announced at the same time. Again this is just speculation so don't take it to seriously but I could not see lucas arts throwing the Kotor series (which has a well formed foundation) away. I mean it just doesn't make fiscal sense. I guarantee that Kotor 3 as well as Battlefront 3 will both be developed. The question is just when?

The whole "secret project" thing is laughable even as a speculation.

We know a "secret project" exists where Bioware and Lucasarts have agreed to cooperate on a new game. We don't know whether that game is a Star Wars game (it could be Indiana Jones or a new franchise), but it seems likely. I would venture a guess that the game is indeed KOTOR... but KOTOR MMORPG and not KOTOR 3.

Again this is just speculation so don't take it to seriously but I could not see lucas arts throwing the Kotor series (which has a well formed foundation) away.

I would not be so sure. Companies abandon great franchises all the time (see Bioware and the Baldur's Gate franchise for example). Still, I agree that LucasArts is unlikely to throw away the KOTOR franchise - the key word being franchise, not series. They will probably leverage it to create a MMO game. I really hope I am wrong on this one, but that seems to be the trend these days.

More thoughts about the "secret project" involving Bioware and LucasArts:

1) The agreement for the project has just been signed, which means any release date is a long, long way away :)

2) We don't know what is the franchise in question - it could be Star Wars (most likely) :) , but it could also be Indiana Jones or a new franchise :o

3) Even if the franchise is Star Wars, we don't know whether the game will be an RPG - most likely yes :) , but Bioware might want to broaden its development portfolio :(

4) Even if the game is a Star Wars RPG, it might not be KOTOR

5) Even if the game is KOTOR, it might well not be KOTOR 3, but rather a KOTOR MMORPG :(

6) Even if the game is KOTOR 3, it will surely use a new engine and that may change gameplay enough to make it feel like a different game, especially if real-time combat is introduced as seems to be the trend now :(

7) Even if the game is KOTOR 3, it might be KOTOR 3 in name only to take advantage of the franchise, yet have a completely new story unrelated to the two previous installments, perhaps with only a couple of references (actually, I would not be upset over this one [nor would I be if it tied in to the previous stories])

Again this is just speculation so don't take it to seriously but I could not see lucas arts throwing the Kotor series (which has a well formed foundation) away.

I would not be so sure. Companies abandon great franchises all the time (see Bioware and the Baldur's Gate franchise for example). Still, I agree that LucasArts is unlikely to throw away the KOTOR franchise - the key word being franchise, not series. They will probably leverage it to create a MMO game. I really hope I am wrong on this one, but that seems to be the trend these days.

Sorry bad choice of words. But I completely agree with you. The real money is in MMO's these days and it would not surprise me to see them go in that direction. Sad part is no matter what the next Kotor game turns out to be I'll still buy it

Sorry bad choice of words. But I completely agree with you. The real money is in MMO's these days and it would not surprise me to see them go in that direction.

Unfortunately...

Sad part is no matter what the next Kotor game turns out to be I'll still buy it

This is not the case for me. I love the KOTOR franchise, I really do, but there are some types of games I just have no interest in and those are MMOs - they are simply not my thing.

Same for me but a Kotor MMO would definitely make me take the plunge. Nothing so far has even come close to picquing my interest. Maybe galaxies :p

Not even KOTOR would make me get into the MMO scene. I guess there is some small chance that both KOTOR 3 and KOTOR MMO will be made, but the operative word here is "small".

Only thing I'll mention is that, with all the speculation of OE doing a KOTOR 3 or not over the years, I can't BELIEVE that OE has postings all over the front page looking for new designers and UI artists for a new, secret console RPG and not a single person here has mentioned that this could be KOTOR 3.

Y'all are slipping. :thumbsup:

Only thing I'll mention is that, with all the speculation of OE doing a KOTOR 3 or not over the years, I can't BELIEVE that OE has postings all over the front page looking for new designers and UI artists for a new, secret console RPG and not a single person here has mentioned that this could be KOTOR 3.

Y'all are slipping. :)

well, I don't know, the plot thickens, does it not? :)

seems to me that K3 has to utilize that ME engine and why not BioWare, since it was their puppy first?

my guess is that there might be some Obsidian consultants working on it as well but I think it will be a BioWare deal.

just my thoughts on the subject.

I think that was supposed to be an original IP, not a license game.

kirottu said:

Do you mean Obsidian's secret project?

no, I think the so called "BioWare SW MMO" is really just KOTOR 3 (as in NOT an MMO). And I don't think LA is producing

KOTOR 3 in house because of Force Unleashed.

Obsidian? I kind of doubt it. I mean, why would BioWare drop a hot title like KOTOR? I'm thinking it was some last-minute

decision to give Obsidian KOTOR 2 and I think they want the franchise back.

And think about it, with KOTOR back in their camp, they wouldn't have to keep writing Mass Effect stuff, effectively competing

with Paramount, LFL and the like.

I could envision some collaboration with Obsidian but my bet is that BioWare will do it at their Canadian studios.

How could dropping KOTOR II have been a last-minute decision?

LucasArts wanted Bioware to do it, Bioware told LucasArts to go with Obsidian. That was way before the first KOTOR was even finished. Not to mention that at that time, they didn't want to do games which aren't based on an IP they own.

Why should they stop doing Mass Effect?

Mass Effect is a successful game, and was planned as a trilogy, they have zero reason to stop producing the other two titles.

Bioware is a creative studio, why should they stop making their own games, just because they might have to compete with other companies?

That doesn't make any sense at all. Bioware's own titles are big enough. If they do a game for someone else (like KOTOR or the Sonic-RPG) it is because they can, not because they have to.