How do I get registered as an Indian?

Fenghuang

I figure somebody here might know about this.

I, along with my siblings, have more than 1/8 Indian blood (Cherokee mostly, an undetermined but small amount of Sioux on my dad's side), but back in the day my ancestors pretended to be white folk to avoid persecution.

Thanks to my grandma and her boredom, I have pretty extensive genealogy and historic records to prove this, but I have no idea who/where to submit them to and what paperwork I need. After a couple searches I've found lots and lots of Indian (as in the asian subcontinent) dating sites, a few people trying to research their genealogies, and this site which contains some pretty useful information, and I do in fact have all the crap they say I need, but all the links for the forms are dead.

Now, honestly I don't care much one way or the other, though potential scholarship monies would be nice, but my little sister asked me if I thought I could find anything out about it and I'll feel kind of bad if I'm not able to.

Any ideas?

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Are there any benefits to registering as an Indian? If you're a Sami in Sweden, you can get tax cuts if yer breeding reindeer :p

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, looks like I'm boned.

To be eligible for CDIB/Tribal Citizenship with the Cherokee Nation, you must be able to provide documents that connect you to an enrolled lineal ancestor, who is listed on the (DAWES ROLL) FINAL ROLLS OF CITIZENS AND FREEDMEN OF THE FIVE CIVILIZED TRIBES, Cherokee Nation with a blood degree. This roll was taken between 1899-1906 of Citizens and Freedmen residing in Indian Territory (now NE Oklahoma).

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Anyone who calls them "Indian" isn't one.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You have to be PC to be an Indian? :p

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You should tell that to my grandma.

I used that word for the purposes of this discussion because you are, in fact, registering for a CDIB Card, or "Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood." It's an outdated racial categorization now, but similar to the Negro College Fund and the NAACP nobody's bothered to update it.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

You have to be PC to be an Indian? :p

Outgroup meet ingroup. Not a matter of political correctedness, however if you're a Cherokee you'll identify yourself as Cherokee before you say "I'm an Indian." To call yourself Indian implies your knowledge of the group comes from a source other than the group itself.

Or so I would presume.

Edited by Tale

All the black people I know refer to themselves as "black."

That said, I was aware of the intricacies, but I would be registering with the government as an Indian, not as a Cherokee, or a Native American, because the documentation hasn't caught up to the current PC terms yet.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Political correctness is an outgroup issue. "How do I refer to them" (outgroup) as opposed to "how do I refer to us" (ingroup).

Edited by Tale

I dont care when you call me "Swede" even though the word is "Svensk" in our language :p

(note the intentionally bad argument. are we hijacking this thread yet?)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

In Quebec(and probably the rest of Canada) the native North Americans don't pay taxes at all. For food, cars, hotels, clothes, everythng. They just show a card and all is tax free.

Many even get a free house.

This is better than a scholarship methinks.

I tried getting those benefits a long time ago and then I learned that my grandfather(who was of native descent) wasn't my grandfather(biological) because my mother(his daughter) was conceived because my grandmother was, apparently, a bit of a **** and had a little thing with the local priest in the '40s.

:)

Wow. Slu7 is a bad word???

Edited by astr0creep

hahahahahshkldhashdaslkhksajhashahaakjsashdsadhsadhsadh

If you want a serious responce to this then I have to admit that the statement is, in its essence, fair, right up until we ask what 'being an indian' actually is.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

In Quebec(and probably the rest of Canada) the native North Americans don't pay taxes at all. For food, cars, hotels, clothes, everythng. They just show a card and all is tax free.

Many even get a free house.

This is better than a scholarship methinks.

So the Canadian people are in effect, paying some bum natives who were so fundamentally incompetent that they managed to lose an entire continent? We white men beat them fair and square, and now WE give THEM tax cuts? I dont know how you do it over there, but in Sweden, you dont get a medal if you finish last. We proudly ignore any and all pleas of our so called "natives"(which are really just some sort of disguised Finns), because when we marched up there with our guns and neat tricorn hats, they bugged out faster than anyone could say "ethnic cleansing". Even then, the small patch of land in the far north they left was pretty much crap anyway. All moss and rocks, not a white sand beach in sight.

bah!

Well, let's not argue about whos ancestors massacred whos, it ruins all the fun and brings us warnings from above :blink: