Heavy Rain Tech Demo

Zoma

Looks nice but I doubt it will be the same quality in the final game. Unless they scrap out an entire level to have enough power left to maintain a high framerate...just like in that tech demo.

You summed it up pretty nicely. However, the animations by themselves are very impressive, and if only that aspects of the engine is fully implemented in the game, then i am sold.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I too am impressed by Quantic Dreams. They're really innovators in bringing digital actors to life. Like that highly advanced Mocap/Facecap studio they've build. It's like directing a movie on a real stage, with real actors and all needed accessories, props etc.

Too bad it's gonna be a PS3 exclusive though.

Edited by Morgoth

The eye movement is made using an eyetracking device. Its like an expensive webcam. Nothing impressive there.

I hope that they have gamplay this time, and not just that increadinly annoying "press the blue button when the blue dot apperas on the screen" dancemat play they had in Fahrenheit. It still pisses me off when I think about it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is a tech demo, not a game demo.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

No one has claimed or hinted otherwise? I just like to expect QD's next game to be as much of a bag of manure, as Fahrenheit was, because QD clarly have their priorities wrong.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The uncanny valley is a bunch of crap anyway. There's no valley, it's just stuff looking fake.

And that looks as CGI anything in Beowulf (which, actually, i thought was pretty good but still CGI).

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

The uncanny valley is a bunch of crap anyway. There's no valley, it's just stuff looking fake.

And that looks as CGI anything in Beowulf (which, actually, i thought was pretty good but still CGI).

Right. I was expecting to see something amazing. >_<

I agree about Beowulf. Any game that pulls off those "graphics" would be the best to date.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

No one has claimed or hinted otherwise? I just like to expect QD's next game to be as much of a bag of manure, as Fahrenheit was, because QD clarly have their priorities wrong.

I often forget that you're the only person in the world who knows what is fun!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I enjoyed the diner part of Fahrenheit but from then on it was just a feast of "wank the keys" and "move the mouse in the right pattern".

I enjoyed the diner part of Fahrenheit but from then on it was just a feast of "wank the keys" and "move the mouse in the right pattern".

Well, the bit in the park was also nice, and I generally like Winona Ryder, but other than that you're quite right.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I enjoied Fahrenheit mostly because it was a welcome change from what I usually play, and the story was atleast entertaining enough to make the more labourious key sequences tolerable. All that said it was far from perfect, but it was certainly a fun Adventure game.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

• 6 months later...

I don't care how great they can make CGI humans look in stills or freckles or skin wrinkles etc. They still can never get the speaking-mouth movements right, and that ruins the whole effect in terms of "realism'...for me at least.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't care how great they can make CGI humans look in stills or freckles or skin wrinkles etc. They still can never get the speaking-mouth movements right, and that ruins the whole effect in terms of "realism'...for me at least.

actually i think they can get the speaking mouth movements right eventually. there's no magic to it, just a matter of time and work.

the problem is that there's several other problems they haven't quite mastered yet, as those pics above show.

e.g.

the eyes? look great, but they don't fool anyone. esp in the third pic, the borders of the eye look clunky and fake.

the guy on the motorbike in the fourth and fifth pics? he isn't sitting naturally. he looks like a plastic action figure stuck on a bike.

also the backgrounds, while nicely faded out, are otherwise about on par with most games we've seen in the last few years. in other words, nothing special.

the second pic is my favourite, esp the texture of the skin and the rain and the detail generally. i'm not one of those folks who say that computer graphics can't ever look more realistic. it may be that they asymptotically approach verisimilititude but they're definitely getting better.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/sh...mp;postcount=18

Anyways, the gist of the game is that this guy is amnesiac and prone to blackouts, son disappears during blackout, guy wakes up from blackout in middle of major intersection under a heavy rain and goes on quest to find son. Or to describe in more detail ripped from a teaser: The father is driving son to school, but son longs for park and successfully lobbies father to go there. While at the park dad is observing junior and next thing is that he wakes up the middle of a busy intersection under a heavy rain. Frantic father runs home, no son; runs to the park, no son, and supposedly ends there. No clue if this was what was shown at E3.

There are a few other minor interconnected stories as well.

A video game version of Memento?

I didn't even think of that comparison, but that is seemingly apt. Though, Cage et al. are going for pretty straightforward stuff.

Also, characters get bored in the game, they'll sit down if nothing is going on.