Driving Manual/Stick

Tigranes

So, after like years of procrastination I finally got my learner's license a few months ago. (Nearly failed that because I read the book while playing Witcher.) But my stepdad is a bastard and booked me for manual lessons, even though I have an auto car waiting for me.

Problem is, I've never ridden a geared bike. Or paid attention to cars, ever. Or used manual in racing games. I have no idea why you have a clutch (I found out what a clutch IS 10 minutes ago) and what the hell you have to do.

I've driven an auto for like 2 hours, so I know the very basics of that and can drive slowly in deserted suburban roads. But that's it.

Can anybody explain this stuff for me?

(also, is it better to start out with manual now or later? I'd have thought you'd want to be comfortable with auto first if you're clueless like me, but I'm not sure.)

So, after like years of procrastination I finally got my learner's license a few months ago. (Nearly failed that because I read the book while playing Witcher.) But my stepdad is a bastard and booked me for manual lessons, even though I have an auto car waiting for me.

Problem is, I've never ridden a geared bike. Or paid attention to cars, ever. Or used manual in racing games. I have no idea why you have a clutch (I found out what a clutch IS 10 minutes ago) and what the hell you have to do.

I've driven an auto for like 2 hours, so I know the very basics of that and can drive slowly in deserted suburban roads. But that's it.

Can anybody explain this stuff for me?

(also, is it better to start out with manual now or later? I'd have thought you'd want to be comfortable with auto first if you're clueless like me, but I'm not sure.)

it's better to learn on a manual as you'll be more apt to be able to keep those skills around as your driving. as for the clutch, as a more mechanically minded person.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You will know what the clutch is for the first time you try to change gear while driving (and not using the clutch). It sounds like a heavy metal concert :alien:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Here in Portugal, the question doesn't even come up. Everybody drives manual. Everybody. Even my Mum thinks auto is for wusses.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

First, once you can drive manual you can drive anything.

Second, it's about coordination and once you get it it's like riding a bike.

Third, once you have the car moving it's easy and fun.

Fourth, you have more control over the vehicle, especially in winter and, to a certain point, you can even control how much fuel you spend and how much wear and tear your car receives(brakes and transmission specifically).

Fifth, the hard part is getting your feet coordinated to actually get the car to move from first gear.

Basically, you gently press down on the accelerator while gently letting go of the clutch. If your hand-brake isn't on and your coordination between your feet is right, the car will eventually start moving on it's own. Then it's just a matter of doing the same thing to change gears but it's MUCH easier when the car is moving. Just remember not to go straight from first to fifth gear in one shot. Go from 1 to 5(or 6 if you're lucky...) in order and change gear when you feel the engine is revving up to fast(if you have a rpm gauge it's easier to know at first when to change gears but eventually you never look at the thing. You just FEEL it).

Good luck.

Guest The Architect
Here in Portugal, the question doesn't even come up. Everybody drives manual. Everybody. Even my Mum thinks auto is for wusses.

Portugal is for wusses!

Auto's where it's at.

Well, auto, manual, it doesn't matter if you just stick with auto and leave it at that. Unless you had to drive a manual in an emergency or something, which is always a possibility, but you could still do it even if you were unfamiliar with it, being just an auto man.. or woman.

(...) Unless you had to drive a manual in an emergency or something, which is always a possibility, but you could still do it even if you were unfamiliar with it, being just an auto man.. or woman.

With time, yes. but there is a learning period involved so, if it's an emergency, you're screwed.

Oh and REAL drivers use the stick baby!

Edited by astr0creep

Well, auto, manual, it doesn't matter if you just stick with auto and leave it at that. Unless you had to drive a manual in an emergency or something, which is always a possibility, but you could still do it even if you were unfamiliar with it, being just an auto man.. or woman.

I don't know about other countries but here it's illegal to drive a manual car if you have a driving licence for an auto car.

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

I don't know about other countries but here it's illegal to drive a manual car if you have a driving licence for an auto car.

I like this. Is it illegal to drive Auto if you have a Manual license?

I like this. Is it illegal to drive Auto if you have a Manual license?

No, if you have a manual license you can drive an auto car (or at least that's what the driving tutor said).

Though I don't think it matters much, 'cause in Greece most cars are manual.

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

I learned on a stick but my current car is automatic with an optional "sport shift". What that means is it has the standard automatic transmission setup with Drive, Reverse, etc... but then you can slide the hadle over to another section that just has +(plus) and -(minus). There is no clutch at all and if you want to go up in gears you push the lever to + and if you want to downshift you push the level to -. Im far too lazy so I just leave it in automatic mode.

It's hard to even find manual transmissions in newer cars here in the US. I'm sure they are in sports cars, but I avoid people who drive those things.

I learned on a stick, and yeah, it's like riding a bike. Still, learning on an automatic is easier and with the way cars are going, it's probably all you'll need. My wife never learned to drive stick and it's never really been an issue.

Well, if you're the type of person who drives partly for the enjoyment or exhiliration factor, and if you live in a place where driving is enjoyable, you absolutely need a manual. And it does have benefits in efficiency and maintenance.

But if you, like me, view driving as a chore rather than a pleasure, automatic is the way to go. Also, if you live in a busy city with a lot of traffic (as I do), driving with a manual while stopping at a light every other block is a complete pain in the a$s. An automatic also leaves you with a free hand most of the time, which can be quite useful for flipping off the passers-by.

Every car I've owned has been a stick shift. Except for my new one, it's got an automatic transmission. For the first two months I was still puttting my foot down where the clutch would have been to start it up.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I want to learn to drive a manual. My former boss actually tried to teach me in his Mercedes something or other. It would have worked better had we both not been drunk.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Every single person that I've known who has driven stick has said "Omg it's so awesome." Then weeks, months, or years later they withdrew their opinion and instead damned it straight to hell. As enoch pointed out, if you are driving in a city then you'll probably get bored of it and the novelty will wear off pretty soon. And as for the whole better gas mileage thing that is somewhat bs, it's not really to the point where you save any real substantial money, I mean over the years yeah, you save a gallon or so here and there so wow, you saved a whole 100 dollars in like 2 years. Great.

Of course I've never driven one, I wish I could learn becuase it's a useful skill but It's never come up as of yet so I guess it doesn't matter.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I especially doubt with newer cars there is ANY greater fuel efficiency between a good auto and a manual.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It's hard to even find manual transmissions in newer cars here in the US. I'm sure they are in sports cars, but I avoid people who drive those things.

I'm finding this to be true as well. None of the models of vehichles I looked at before settling on the one I bought even had standard transmissions in them.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

See, driving is a big chore for me and I have no interest in cars at all; and there are a huge amount of auto cars around here. I would have thought it'd be better for me to learn auto, get familiar with cars and drive around for a while then do manual.

Too late now though, the lessons I understand are already scheduled for manual. Whoever's the instructor's going to have a hell of time with the most clueless guy ever.

Well, first lesson in a couple of hours, but thanks for all the info guys, I'll tell you how it goes. :alien:

See, driving is a big chore for me and I have no interest in cars at all; and there are a huge amount of auto cars around here. I would have thought it'd be better for me to learn auto, get familiar with cars and drive around for a while then do manual.

Too late now though, the lessons I understand are already scheduled for manual. Whoever's the instructor's going to have a hell of time with the most clueless guy ever.

Well, first lesson in a couple of hours, but thanks for all the info guys, I'll tell you how it goes. :)

I'm sure if you can handle mouse + WASD, you can handle manual transmission o:)

Its good to learn to drive stick shift. Once you get the timing and rhythm down its actually quite enjoyable.

Like others have said, if you find yourself living in a city and/or don't like driving in general down the road, you'll have no trouble transitioning to automatic. o:)

well i'm glad i'm at work then

no chance of you running me over

Yeah, well, it's bloody hot these days, it's unbelievable. Lots of people out too.

Anyway, rather anticlimax-y; I didn't even touch the gearstick. The lesson guy seemed to favour a 'push pull' steering method I had hardly seen before, so I spent an hour running 8's and double 8's in a parking lot.