Gem Tower Defence

Humodour

http://www.gemtowerdefense.com/instructions/

Just skip straight to playing if you want. Basic idea: kill monsters with gem "towers" - they shoot at the monsters, with the circle being range of tower.

Less basic idea: building towers alone isn't going to work too well later on. Try to think of ways to increase the amount of time a monster spends within the range of a tower. Hint: build a maze.

It's based off a very awesome warcraft 3 map, but this version has almost of the same elements. It's lacking only maze tests, slates and gambling, really - all fairly superfluous features.

Go play play play! It's awesome fun. Like single player chess.

Oooook. There's been some changes since the wc3 map, because I died on level 28 in surviver. It got to the stage where both air and land were both almost leaking, then air did.

It's always air.

Man, I thought it was a nice maze, too. It covered the entire map, had plenty of anti-air and I made the land units leave and enter it 3 different times in order to reach each waypoint. :)

Maybe I should have had more combo gems (had malachite, star ruby and the anti-air one), but that's a 3 for one deal so I don't tend to like doing that.

Damn you Krez, you got me hooked, and I have an exam coming up.

Trade you some ganja for tips. No?

Oh well, I'll give you tips anyway: try to make the ground units enter your full maze, then leave your full maze at least once. The best way to do this is build your maze around some waypoints, but not others - meaning in order to get from point A to B they have to leave the maze, then probably re-enter it to get to C.

Once you've done that, and you get to say level 15/20, focus on the middle of your maze at the + intersection. Towers here deal the most damage. Use the fact that you can click on a rock and click remove, and place down new towers here so the entire + area is flooded with towers - try to do it such that the towers you finally place at the + become combination towers.

Final hint: zig-zag > columns/rows.

Haven't managed to beat Survival yet, but this is my most successful maze on Extreme.

But now I need to quit and go repeat criminal law. Exam is tomorrow w00t.

Very similar to mine. I've yet to try it in Extreme, but I imagine it'd tear up, considering how well it was doing on normal and hard. Although mine has more backtracking. Or possibly an equal amount, upon closer inspection.

The key for me is to put anything less than perfect gems around (but not in) the + intersection in the middle of your maze , whilst trying to build up for good combos. Then, once you've fully upgraded your gems, and are at about level 15/20, delete the rocks in the + intersection and plonk your gems down there, ensuring that you only choose gems you can eventually combine effectively (as well as lots of perfect amethysts - which need to be in the center of the + intersection). Always opt for a perfect opal if you see one come up, too (and unless I've already got a perfect opal in the area, I tend to dislike the perfect opal combo gem - the dmg aura one, as it's less effectively than an opal, tho it certainly stacks well with one... since opals don't stack).

Now, let's see if I can remember how to build it. All that sun-baking and clubbing has left me brain a bit numb.

I keep getting beaten at survival lvl 44, even though I had a bunch of splashing slow towers, which seem to be indispensible for good AA. Even had 3 of those gems that give -6 armor to air units and 4 perfect amethysts, but still the bastards got through...

Edited by Pope

After a 5-hour endurance run, I just got beaten by lvl 88 flyers. Made it to 495 in the top 500. I thought the trick, from lvl 50+, was to focus on ground units and just buy back the life flyers take, since there's no way you can take 'em all out. This screen was taken at lvl 80, forgot to take one at the end. 2 perfect and 2 black opals covered the entire battlescene. Had 4 jades eventually and 2 dark emeralds that kept stunning one poor victim who then had it coming from the entire maze until he was obliterated a few moments later. Gold is awesome. Checkpoint 3 was always a massacre to behold :blink: Ground units never even reached the 5th checkpoint, they had two runs through the maze left. But sadly at lvl 88, air units took my life quicker than I could click the buy lives button.

I have no idea how anyone is able to reach lvl 200+

post-237-1201567991_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pope

I think I needed more slowing gems near the end, to give me the time to replenish my life. I don't know how many hitpoints air units had at lvl 88 (ground units had about 250000 by then), but I was lucky if I could take 2 out, one more wouldn't really have made any difference in the time it took the surviving ones to hurt me. I had more than enough gold, it's just that 3 flyers each taking 23 life is impossible to counter when they all arrive at the exact same second.

edit: exam was good

Edited by Pope