Movies you have seen lately

SteveThaiBinh

The Ark of Truth - which is a direct-to-DVD movie-length continuation/plot wrapper for the Stargate series, or something.

It was ok. The series was pretty much gasping for air when it stopped production, and this movie doesn't improve on that at all. But it was nice to have the whole Ori thing wrapped up, since they left it hanging at the end of the series.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Bought a handful of "nice price" DVD's yesterday. Watched two of them...

Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer. Not much to say about it, good easily digestable fun not requiring any cerebral action on my part.

Tora! Tora! Tora! - I like some those old WWII movies. My first thoughts after watching it was: Wow, makes "Pearl Harbour" look like the poor cousin, doesn't it?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Right on. I think it had the right vibe throughout the movie. Even Spiderman has the cringing sentimentality with Green Goblin/Aunt May going on with the Mary Jane bad relationship **** happening in every one. Iron Man's just fun through the whole movie.

Plus I really got the feeling of excitement and freedom when he went to fly his v2 suit around. That was really good to me.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I also enjoyed Iron Man, possibly more than my all time favorite Superman: The Movie.

Not really a big fan of the character, so it did not bother me if/when they strayed from the source material. For once it was better and more entertaining then it's printed counterpart. The comicbook Iron Man always seemed to work better in team books anyway.

8.5/10

I also enjoyed Iron Man, possibly more than my all time favorite Superman: The Movie.

Not really a big fan of the character, so it did not bother me if/when they strayed from the source material. For once it was better and more entertaining then it's printed counterpart. The comicbook Iron Man always seemed to work better in team books anyway.

8.5/10

Did you stay until after the credits rolled?

:shifty:

My god, that was the best superhero movie I've seen. Granted, that is partly thanks to a certain female actor, otherwise Spiderman 1 would have taken the pot. Still, I've never actually seen Iron Man comics where he was working alone, it has always been either the Avengers or with whatever character Marvel decided to team him up with. Never alone, so I didn't have any actual opinion on the character.

What I found interesting was the parallels the movie, intentionally or not, drew with Alpha Flight's Guardian and his birth story. The mentor turned ****, trying to retain the original plans to himself so the prototype wasn't used to anything unmoral, etc. I haven't ever read Stark's origin, so I don't know if the comparison was fair, but that is how I felt. I think it meshed well with old theme of needing life support and being an ex-jackass, heh.

Well anyways, Robert Downey Jr, Guineth Paltrow, great narrative and superb animation and design gave this movie a well-earned big May!

Also, certain muthafocka at the end was a total August for me!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Iron Man as well.

I thought it was ok, nothing too fancy, I'd say about at the same level as Daredevil, with the difference being that Downey Jr. makes an awesome leading man while Affleck was a bit of a prat.

The good bits were the aforementioned Robert Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges' coiffure, the bad was the crappy script and Gwyneth Paltrow's character. She goes from smart, strong and independent woman in the first half of the movie to wide eyed ingenue in the second half of the movie.

I'd shave my head and grow a glorious beard like Obadiah, if my beard wasn't mostly pathetic.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Iron Man

was pleasantly surprised

it's definitely one of the best of the comic book movies i've seen

and i'd say they will definitely make a sequel. i mean, they've already set up the whole Mandarin and War Machine parts of the story

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Did you just put Ironman on the same level as Daredevil?

I did. I thought the script was pretty lazy. I'd say the betrayal "revelation" was badly handled except that it wasn't really handled at all, and the whole "guns are bad" angle felt like it was glued with spit to the rest of the story.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoyed it. It's just that, except for Tony Stark and "Iron Man" playing at the end, it was all pretty mindless and forgettable.

I'll be waiting for a sequel. If done well, it might be quite awesome.

Heja Sverige!!

i've got a few i watched not too long ago worth mentioning.

vacancy: not an entirely bad premise... a couple gets stranded for the night at some hole in the wall hotel in the middle of nowhere. they begin to watch the tapes next to the VCR and realize that the "horror flicks" they're watching were actually filmed in the room they're in. ut oh, we're the next subjects for a new snuff film. forget for the moment that something like this could go on for a long time before people noticed. what got me was that the story played out with the typical stupid horror film characters that we get in B movies. i mean, my god, how stupid do you have to park across the parking lot from your room, leaving your cell in the car (or wherever, they show it getting mashed at one point). your in a snuff film and you really think the guy on the other side of the phone from the room or the booth outside is legit? are people really so stupid that they scream announcing their whereabouts when hiding? it took them a half hour (show time) to figure out how the suckers were getting in to their room (which was an unbelievable dump). the list goes on and on. even the killers were stupid, meeting their respective demises in oh so typical fashion. we watched till the end solely to see whether the stupid couple would survive or not (that, and there was nothing else on).

40 year old virgin (director's cut, but edited for USA): not too bad. i laughed out loud many times and i thought the story was rather cute. however, i wish i didn't have to watch for 40 years to see the end. they could EASILY have cut 45 minutes off of this thing and it would have made it's point just fine, and i missed the first 45 minutes or so. on USA, this was a 3-hour epic. star wars is OK (uh, 4, 5 and 6) for 3 hours, 40 year old virgin ain't quite as OK.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Ironman

Wow.

9.5/10

really... i've been wanting to see it. i like RDJr. anyway, and the character looks rather cool.

uh, would this be recommended for a 5-year old? my son liked transformers if that makes a difference.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Well, there's a short sex scene in Iron Man.

Heja Sverige!!

No country for old men:

Hated it. Why does anyone like it? We never learn anything about the characters, we don't learn any motives, they never show any emotion which means nobody cares when they die... Also, why do movies which end with everyone dying in the last 20 minutes always get oscars?

The only action scene is the shotgun chase outside the hotel, other than that it's just one guy shooting another...

There isn't a single piece of music in the entire movie, and there isn't any mood whatsoever.

The trailer advertised it as something intense (heck , there was even "action" music in it) but the movie is completely different.

There isn't any decent ending, there's no sense of conclusion, there doesn't even seem to be a point in the entire movie. All we get at the end is another monotone talk with the killer which ends in someone dying, a completely random car crash and the old cop muttering something about retiring.

I don't get what's so great about it, to me it was just awful. :thumbsup:

The beginning battle scenes are kinda rough, lots of shooting, explosions, people dying....

How is that any different from any Saturday-morning cartoon? :|

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, he hasn't been exposed to bad commercial animes like Pokemon, Bakugan and the like. Keep him away from those, or it'll cost you.

Seriously.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

well it's not like you see dudes getting decapitated or anything

it's mostly just 'splosions, and what the hell may i ask is wrong with that? :thumbsup:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!