Movies you have seen lately

SteveThaiBinh

Sleuth

Really low budget film, all the shots were inside a house. Didn't like the story. Plus all you ever see is 2 actors.

You forgot that it's also an awesome classic with two masterful performances and kickass directing.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Guest The Architect

Ocean's Twelve.

Catherine-Zeta gives me the Jones. :thumbsup:

Had to say it, even though that was a bad pun.

Followed by Ocean's Thirteen, which I agree is the best of the trilogy.

Good series, overall.

Sleuth

Really low budget film, all the shots were inside a house. Didn't like the story. Plus all you ever see is 2 actors.

You forgot that it's also an awesome classic with two masterful performances and kickass directing.

Are we talking about the 1972 original (with Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier) or the 2007 remake (with Michael Caine and Jude Law)? Because they're supposed to be vastly different films...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Good question. I didn't remember the remake.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Beowulf.

Kind of dull first half and a much more fun/effective second half. I never felt "connected" to the characters in the film, however, so the "big scenes" had very little emotional impact, making it a film that's not much more than a motion-capture-animation "300".

And it looked fine on the big screen TV, even if I didn't get the 3D experience.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

THE MANSTER, early 60s sci-fi horror Japanese-American co-production about a foreign correspondant who falls afoul of an obsessed scientist who experiments on him turning him into a mutating killer!

Pretty well done considering the time and budget; a variation of the Jeckle/Hyde story. Fun, interesting and alternatingly weird and goofy.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

FRANKENSTEIN CONQUORS THE WORLD aka FRANKENSTEIN VS BARAGON.

In the last days of WWII, German scientists studying the Frankenstein Monster's immortal heart are forced to send the heart to Japan for study. Japan's scientist study the heart in Hiroshima until the atomic bomb is dropped. 16 years later a weird boy is found by scientists studying radiation victims. Turns out the heart has rebuilt a body for itself, but keeps growing until the new monster is gigantic - just in time for giant monster Baragon to attack Japan!

Really wild giant monster movie from Toho, loosely based on an idea that Willis O'Brien (King Kong) had tried to develop for the screen. Has some good stunt work and split screen work in the final battle.

Edited by Amentep

John Rambo.

Best movie of 2008 so far.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Curse of the Headless Horseman (1974)

The plot description is that a group of kids trying to help a friend who has inherited a ranch run afoul of the curse of a murderous headless horseman.

The reality is that a guy studying to be a doctor is willed a "ranch" which he has to make profitable in 6 months or lose it to the "ranch's" caretaker.

The ranch is, actually, a small ghost town serving as a tourist attraction (complete with shoot-out show!). The guy's friends, a bunch of hippies, travel along and decide to live and work in the town communally to make it profitable in 6 months. Their plan seems to involve sitting around and folk singing most of the day, randomly wandering around, putting on a sub-vaudeville review for themselves, getting a local singer to sing to them and generally not actually doing anything towards making the "ranch" profitable.

Meanwhile, the "Headless Horseman" comes and...doesn't really do much. The first night he sprays some blood from a knife on one of the kids. Later that kid is mysteriously shot by a real bullet! Only its in the arm and he's okay. Later the Horseman shows up with the worlds fakest looking severed head (which actually changes between shots) and splatters blood on a girl who runs out into traffic and is hit. He sprays blood on another girl, then is caught and revealed to be one of the kids. Seems he found what he thinks was gold and wanted to scare everyone off. Only now all of the guys seem to have guns with real bullets and all want the gold and all shoot themselves.

We are left to believe that the Headless Horseman is actually GREED.

All of this and quite possibly the worst, most intrusive narration in a film ever (which also completely fails to illuminate the film at all), plus shots that randomly shift from day and night, horrible and long sections of film comprised of bad folk singing, characters who seem to randomly appear and disappear from the town with no explanations (and often appear in the same local twice; for example after getting blood on his shirt the kid gives a girl named "Yo-yo" his shirt to clean (because even in communal living, the girls do all the house work). Yo-yo is sitting in front of one of the buildings on the "ranch" and yet after he gives her his shirt, the kid walks not 10 feet and Yo-Yo is clearly in the background again, now standing by a covered wagon!)

An awful, nearly unwatchable film.

Pans Labyrinth

10/10 :lol:

I'd heard so many good things about that one, but I guess I didn't "get" it, because I didn't like it very much. :lol:

I saw Mystic River. I'd seen most of it, over the years, but not all, so it was nice to view it complete in one sitting for the first time.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I finally saw The Postman, a film my hubby rented ages ago but I never bothered to watch.

The first half wasn't too bad, and I loved Will Patton obviously having so much fun hamming it up as the bad guy, but the last third became progressively more silly in the typical over-blown & over-earnest Costner way.

Still, I'm not sure it deserved the outright general critical panning it received when it came out 10(?) years ago. It's not great and it's about 30 minutes too long, but it's not completely awful either.

I think the Postman received more of its reputation as a dud because Waterworld was so bad and they both shared the similiar post-apoc. epic theme. I've watched The Postman quite a few times on TV, and each time I see it I like it a bit more.