What are you playing now?

Darque

Takin the free 10 day trial DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE for a spin, not impressed yet. Although it is different in the fact that you can jump and climb boxes, not used to doing that in a RPG.

Keep me updated, if you can. I was thinking about doing the trial as well, since it's been a year from release and these types of games are usually much improved in that time. Is it any more solo-friendly?

I finished WH40K Dawn of War... and I think I officially became a little secret Relic fanboy now. I never really paid much attention to DoW, but it was surprisingly the most fun RTS since Starcraft.

Now I'm playing Star Wars Empire at War... a little meh, but maybe it will get better along further missions.

Empire at War was only noteworthy because of the space battles (which needed to be expanded IMHO, they could have easily made the entire game out o fthse space battles and why they didn't bothers me)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Gears of War. I can't believe everyone got so worked up over a mixture of Bubble Bobble and Jumping Jack, and not a very good one at that.

Cover. Kill. Run forward. Cover. Kill. Run forward. Cover. Kill. Run forward. Cover. Kill. Run forward. Cover. Kill. Run forward. Fork off and do something else that's actually fun and interesting.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Gears of War. I can't believe everyone got so worked up over a mixture of Bubble Bobble and Jumping Jack, and not a very good one at that.

Cover. Kill. Run forward. Cover. Kill. Run forward. Cover. Kill. Run forward. Cover. Kill. Run forward. Cover. Kill. Run forward. Fork off and do something else that's actually fun and intersting.

Yup. The gameplay was very repetitive. The worst thing of all is that you never learned much about your buddies. In fact, the homepage descriptions where more detailed than the in-game characters.

The only positive that comes to mind was the last level (train level - brown instead of grey - Yay!) and those cute Berserkers. Still, it's a testimonium paupertatis that such a weak game actually sold over 3 million units. Says much about today's market tastes.

Edited by Morgoth

I've just finished the "Uninstall Gears of War" game.

Gears of War is one of the worst action games I've ever played.

Heja Sverige!!

Finally, truthspeaker!

I can't understand love GoW gets in here from many regulars. It was onetrick pony through and through

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

GoW was fun. As for being 'repetitive'. ALL games are repetive. Every single one.

The cover+regeneration mechanic makes the game boringly easy and repetitive, the art direction has you trying to pick off these grayish enemies against grayish backgrounds with grayish squad mates "helping" you, the AI is crap, those sequences with the Troika thingies are crap, what I saw of the story was drivel, and the whole "enemies coming out of the ground" schtick was dumb. Fun, GoW is not.

They didn't even had the basic good sense of making the whole thing campy.

Heja Sverige!!

GoW was fun. As for being 'repetitive'. ALL games are repetive. Every single one.

I was going to say this was stupid unto insanity but Pid nailed this right there :ermm:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Gears of War was fun, but I also agree with much of what Pid says. It was fun until the first Berserker fight because the game was visceral and pretty intense. After that, I might as well have been just replaying the first part of the game over and over again.

As for story. C'mon, this is EPIC. They named themselves EPIC. They don't do deep or thoughtful. They're pretty blunt. Their games are about explosions, loud noises, gunfire, big men, and yelling.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I didn't find visceral or intense at all. You go into cover, then shoot from cover until the red shows up, which is when you go back into cover until the red fades away. Repeat as many times as necessary. This made the combat feel lame and detached.

Incidentally, I was expecting the game to be repetitive. What I wasn't expecting was for it to be dull.

Heja Sverige!!

Sounds like you played it overly safe. Moving around to different cover and exposing yourself to speed up the firefights was part of the game for me.

If my health wasn't ever regenerating I might have done that.

Heja Sverige!!

I played the original demo and it was good, but not having weapons makes for a little too tense for me. If I can't point something at it and make it go away, I can't relax while playing the game.

LoL. This game isn't made for relaxing, you jerk. However, the devs claim that they improved the shoddy combat in Black Plague vastly.

I just finished the demo, and the easiest way to to avoid that Zombie was just to sneak by. Really cool game, I think I'm gonna get the boxed version that will be released next week for a mere 20€. Except people here have good experiences with GamersGate?

Edited by Morgoth

I ordered Puzzle Quest through GamersGate. The game did not work when I got it downloaded and installed. I browsed the official forums for a solution and it turns out that Puzzle Quest had an installer built into the package, but the people at Gamersgate ripped that off and replaced it with their own ugly installer.. and forgot to add two DLL-files.

I don't think I'm going to use GamersGate again.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I just tried out the Penumbra: Black Plague demo.

Wow. It's smart, it's intense, it's what Bioshock should have aimed for. I think I'm gonna buy the full version. Has anyone played Overture (full version)?

That was nice. Pretty freaky.

Heja Sverige!!

Keep me updated, if you can. I was thinking about doing the trial as well, since it's been a year from release and these types of games are usually much improved in that time. Is it any more solo-friendly?
I am still only first level. My impressions so far. Too easy, I mean waaaay to easy. The game so far is all about fetch and carry and not very imaginative at that. Most monsters die on one hit (playing a Dwarf Paladin with one eye) I started with 32 HP at 1st level (I thought this was DnD?) You can tell who to talk to to get quests, they literally have a sign over their heads :) each "mission has a check list on what you need to do, I mean come on, try to give your players a little credit. Before you embark on each adventure they ask if you want to 1.Solo 2.Party 3.Normal 4.Difficult. I have chosen Solo every time except once, the time I picked party was not any more difficult than the rest. Not impressed so far.

Don't even get me started on some of the names of the characters these clowns use :x

I'm doing a FPS test with Legend on my new laptop (it just arrived today) and then I'll try HL2 and Oblivion. So far the only thing I would consider upgrading would be the CPU, but I have thirty days to decide before the return period is over...

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot