Bioshock

Arkan

Holy geeze this game is weird...

Opinions?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Disappointment of the year.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't think it's a particularly good game, actually, even if you just take it as just a pure action FPS. Enemy AI is pretty bad and lack of enemy variety doesn't help either.

The soundtrack is good, and the artwork is good. The beginning and the "magical plot point" are also good if you take them by themselves. However, if taken within the context of the game they just make the whole experience feel worse.

Heja Sverige!!

Well, to each his own. It was an overall well crafted and ambitious Shooter... On the Art side, it was too colorful. I wished they'd tone down the saturation and use a tighter color palette....more grayish-brownish...a little more depressive. Though that wouldn't have come good with the X360 fans.

Anyway, Bioshock 2 is now being developed at the new 2K Marin, without any involvement of Ken Levine. Maybe that's a good sign, since he just had to satisfy his 2K master first and foremost. Now that the franchise is successfully established, I expect that BS2 is going to be a bit more risky, more hardcore...you know what I mean.

Well, that's another problem. "Franchise". They can fork off with that. And besides, considering it is a franchise now, and how Bioshock was a big commercial success, I don't see how 2K is going to let the Marin guys change the Bioshock formula too much.

Also, KL has repeatedly stated that 2K had nothing to do with the dumbing down. That video of Chris Kline doing an analysis of Bioshock's development is quite enlightening on how things went on behind the scenes.

Edit: Saying "yes" to the player is biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Heja Sverige!!

The whole idea of making a sequel is dumb except from a profit point of view. Of course, as Bioshock was already mostly about the profit, there will be some sort of continuity.

Heja Sverige!!

I won't ignore it, but I'll be real suspicious. Also, I'm not so sure Irrational still exists in the same way as before the buyout.

Heja Sverige!!

Welcome! We do hope you enjoy your stay here in 3 Months Ago. Have you heard about this coming December's crop of movies? Sounds great!

:down:

Sorry I can't purchase games as soon as they're released. :)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I loved Bioshock, but the combat is very clunky compared to other U3 games. Some story elements ar way off in tempo

like how Fontaine only explains the trick with the submarine towards the very ending

which makes you think theres a plot hole, but really its just that the explanation comes later than youd expect.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Holy geeze this game is weird...

What exactly do you find weird about it?

Just a very weird presentation. I can't quite put my finger on it, though...

How far are you Arkan?

I just had the pleasure of running into the first little girl.

Well the game gets a hell of a lot more weird. Wait till you get to Fort Frolic, you'll be ready to poop your pants.

Had quite an interesting experience with my first run in with a rocket launcher turret. I turn and saw it, thought it was a machine gun, looked right at it, and it launched a god damned rocket at me!

It actually made me yell "what the frak! (not frak)!" and scared the shiznit out of me... :lol:

For me it started off quite solid, but it got ultra repetitve and seemingly pointless real fast. It was pretty bug free though, which is rare. And it felt solidly professional. It just didn't hold my interest really past the second level (Neptune's Bounty).

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.