KOTOR2: TSL & Windows Vista - THE FIX

If you're trying to run Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords under Windows Vista, you will probably encounter the 2 common errors ("Invalid Disk" error & "Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working").

This fix has been tested under Vista 32bit, using an Intel 32bit processor and an Nvidia graphics card, but the fix should work for others.

1. Install KOTOR2 from the CD (You do not need to run it in compatibility mode).

2. Update to the latest version - this will cause the "Invalid Disk" error.

3. In order to solve this error, you will need to go to the SecuROM support page (http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis) and follow the instructions there. They will respond and send you a new exe file which will fix this.

4. You will (on occasion) encounter the "Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working" error. This is due to a file conflict issue.

5. In the KOTOR2 root directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\SWKOTOR2) there will be the file "Mss32.dll". You will need to replace this file with the one from the KOTOR1 directory (If you don't have it, try FileFront.com or Google.com).

6. Start playing ...

Happy gaming folks :-

If you're trying to run Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords under Windows Vista, you will probably encounter the 2 common errors ("Invalid Disk" error & "Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working").

This fix has been tested under Vista 32bit, using an Intel 32bit processor and an Nvidia graphics card, but the fix should work for others.

1. Install KOTOR2 from the CD (You do not need to run it in compatibility mode).

3. In order to solve this error, you will need to go to the SecuROM support page (http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis) and follow the instructions there. They will respond and send you a new exe file which will fix this.

4. You will (on occasion) encounter the "Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working" error. This is due to a file conflict issue.

5. In the KOTOR2 root directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\SWKOTOR2) there will be the file "Mss32.dll". You will need to replace this file with the one from the KOTOR1 directory (If you don't have it, try FileFront.com or Google.com).

6. Start playing ...

Happy gaming folks :thumbsup:

It works for me using 64bit using intel Quad 64 bit processor Q6600. Well except I never got "Invalid Disk" error. message even after updating

Edited by Akisa

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Can someone post the executable SecuROM sends out? I have sent them the analysis file, but I'd really like to play the game I bought! :D

Why isn't the file made available on the obsidian web site so we don't have to deal with SecuROM?

Thanks!

You're asking for a no-cd patch, correct? If so, yeah, that might be something Obsidian would want to make. If not, why do you think they have not said exactly what file is read? :shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It launches fine for me in Vista, once I replaced the mss32.dll. Never got one "invalid disk" error.

But I have no sound, and everything I've tried to make sound work has been ineffective. C'est la vie, I guess. It runs (barely) on minimum settings on my old XP laptop, so I can play it when I want to.

Edited by Enoch

It launches fine for me in Vista, once I replaced the mss32.dll. Never got one "invalid disk" error.

But I have no sound, and everything I've tried to make sound work has been ineffective. C'est la vie, I guess. It runs (barely) on minimum settings on my old XP laptop, so I can play it when I want to.

Weird. I run TSL on Vista Home Premium, and while the program frequently has trouble starting and has crashed during the switch to or from the cutscenes, it otherwise runs without trouble so far, though I'll admit that I've only actually played it until I reached Citadel Station. Mostly it's a question of getting the program to start, which can take a few tries. But it runs, it does so smoothly for me.

• 1 month later...

Indeed. Where is the Launch Analysis button? Right clicked the shortcut on my desktop- to no avail.

I'd go with 2d3, 3d6, 1/2d7, 1d10, 14d12, 8d20, 13 quarters, and a groundhog.

I'm not sure if you'll need all that, but if you figured out a system from it, it would be the greatest in the world.

Hate to do a shameless bump, but I'd rather like to play my game. Where would "Launch analysis" be? :aiee:

I'm not sure if you'll need all that, but if you figured out a system from it, it would be the greatest in the world.

If it worked for you, then for all that's good in the world, please say where the launch analysis button is. Pretty please?

Let me put it another way. What did you do to get your game to fix the "Invalid Disk" error, assuming you got it?

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't work. Still trying to workaround...

Edited by Kyrivian

• 8 months later...

6. Start playing ...

Happy gaming folks ;)

I Have Replaced This Mss32.dll put it in the folder and now it continues to say "Knights of the Old Republic II has stopped working" Error.... Help?

Edited by L10N121

• 2 months later...

6. Start playing ...

Happy gaming folks :shifty:

I have done all the steps to this but when I go to the menu and click game it says "Please remove disc from current CD/DVD drive and insert the original disk in another drive?:." and I have no idea what thats about :) . could someone please explain? :)

I would also like to note, replacing the new dll file also erases all of your saved games(that, or starting a new game, it was around that time I noticed all my save files gone).

edit: I should also note I replaced the .dll file AFTER I installed the game, and played it for nearly 50 hours.

Edited by Pimpachu

I tryed updateing but it says old file not found, however a simular file was found. and it closes, i also tryed this other guy's way on this forum, and that was to reienstall with capability trick and do launch anyalis, i tryed launch anyalis and it has microsoft visual error C++ Runtime Library

which says:

Runtime Error!

C/program files/lucasarts/Swkotor2/Swkotor2exe.

Abnormal program termination

How do i fix this?

Edited by mapadz