KOTOR2: TSL & Windows Vista - THE FIX

Indeed. Where is the Launch Analysis button? Right clicked the shortcut on my desktop- to no avail.

Go to the Program Files/LucasArts/SWKotOR2 folder, right click on swkotor2.exe, you will see the Analysis option. Run it and then zip the resulting file to SecuROM. Eventually (in a day or two) they will get to it and email you a link to a download for a game executable that does not give that offending error (caused by SecuROM in Vista).

The other workaround is much more convoluted and requires wacking your networking protocols in Vista (which I highly discourage ... but you can go to Microsoft's MSDN site and look it up if you're feeling that bold).

• 2 weeks later...
If you're trying to run Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords under Windows Vista, you will probably encounter the 2 common errors ("Invalid Disk" error & "Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working").

This fix has been tested under Vista 32bit, using an Intel 32bit processor and an Nvidia graphics card, but the fix should work for others.

1. Install KOTOR2 from the CD (You do not need to run it in compatibility mode).

2. Update to the latest version - this will cause the "Invalid Disk" error.

3. In order to solve this error, you will need to go to the SecuROM support page (http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis) and follow the instructions there. They will respond and send you a new exe file which will fix this.

4. You will (on occasion) encounter the "Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working" error. This is due to a file conflict issue.

5. In the KOTOR2 root directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\SWKOTOR2) there will be the file "Mss32.dll". You will need to replace this file with the one from the KOTOR1 directory (If you don't have it, try FileFront.com or Google.com).

6. Start playing ...

Happy gaming folks :blink:

Thanks for that information on the Mss dll change. I didn't have a Mss32.dll it was only a Mss.dll and when I deleted it from KotOR2 and copied the same file from KotOR, I also have it installed on the same laptop and have been playing it and it works fine, to KotOR2. It started up and appears to been running okay now. So, Thanks for the help with this. I was getting frustrated with it so I went to the XBOX version and played and finished it again. I can't wait for KotOR3 to get going.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
If you're trying to run Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords under Windows Vista, you will probably encounter the 2 common errors ("Invalid Disk" error & "Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working").

This fix has been tested under Vista 32bit, using an Intel 32bit processor and an Nvidia graphics card, but the fix should work for others.

1. Install KOTOR2 from the CD (You do not need to run it in compatibility mode).

2. Update to the latest version - this will cause the "Invalid Disk" error.

3. In order to solve this error, you will need to go to the SecuROM support page (http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis) and follow the instructions there. They will respond and send you a new exe file which will fix this.

4. You will (on occasion) encounter the "Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working" error. This is due to a file conflict issue.

5. In the KOTOR2 root directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\SWKOTOR2) there will be the file "Mss32.dll". You will need to replace this file with the one from the KOTOR1 directory (If you don't have it, try FileFront.com or Google.com).

6. Start playing ...

Happy gaming folks :thumbsup:

hey what is the kotor 1 Mss32.dll called the same or what ????

• 2 weeks later...
launch analysis?

I am Running a Windows 7 Laptop with an Nvidia GEFORCE G210M Graphics Card and a Intel Centrino 2 processor and KOTOR2 stops Working for no reason and my save games won't save. It just loads me up at the very begginning, this has been giving me hell for over two years! I have not found a solution anywhere! I'm Getting Desperate! Someone Please help me.