Bioware working on Jade Empire 2?

Morgoth

Clicky

No surprise actually, and by the time it hits the shelves, I should have my paws on some cheap X360 already. I'll spare the "Wtf no PC version?" rant for another time.

JE SE was a cool game, had a great setting and superior writing to Kotor, yet I liked Kotor overall more. Still, more Bio goodness is always good, one way or the other. :lol:

In general I don't give much crap about rumours but this one does have certain credibility. Why? It's been rumored that EA's CEO is huge fan of Jade Empire

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I loved Jade Empire, and now that I have a 360 this is awesome news :D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Dragon Age + Mass Effect 2 + Jade Empire 2 + Unknown

Kotor 3

LucasArts project + Sonic RPG + Kotor MMO? What busy little BioBees they will be... :lol:

:)

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

But it's fantasy! :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

But it's fantasy! :lol:

I wasnt drunk on homemade "viina" and whipping myself with a spruce branch while I played it, but I did not notice a single elf, dwarf or orc in there. It's a Kung-Fu game with some Chinese folklore.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes Kaftan. Of course, Kaftan. Would Kaftan like some champagne?

:(

I thought Jade Empire was okay, but nothing very exciting or memorable; the setting certainly has potential though, if they don't choose to make it a Light Side v. Dark Side game again (I mean, hello?) and revamp the combat. I'm unlikely to ever get a console, but we shall see.

Look at that! It's been a matter of days and Kaft is now a bonified console tard, with bells whistles and a paper hat! With a rapidly falling IQ Kaft, I'm surprise you can still type!

Jokes aside, JE 2 would certainly be a good thing, and I enjoied it more than most of biowares offerings.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Im not a console tard :( Im just happy Ill be able to play it without having to wait over a year for the PC version

Dragon Age + Mass Effect 2 + Jade Empire 2 + Unknown

Kotor 3

LucasArts project + Sonic RPG + Kotor MMO? What busy little BioBees they will be... :ermm:

o:)

Don't worry Lucian, I appreciate your wit. :)

And boy do I wish they'd make kotor 3 a non mmo. But I guess Jade Empire 2 will have to do. I wasn't too big a fan of Jade Empire, like others the universe was quite nice but it didn't play all that awesome. Lets just hope we have some sweet, sweet beautiful hot asian kung fu styled sex scenes. I'm talking multiple encounters of the tentacle kind.

I liked combat for the most part but it was simple but more importantly extremely unvaried. There were 2 styles I used exclusively throughout the entire game and that was pretty much all I needed. Quite lame. But over all it was a cool game.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I enjoyed Jade Empire, but it was very different from what I thought it would be. I didn't expect spirit monks and ethereal ghosts and transforming into demons/animals. Granted, Asian culture and fantasy do possess those aspects but it seemed far off from many wuxia novels and comics that I enjoy reading.

I expected a vast explorable world with lots of martial arts schools vying for power with alliances, secret dealings and betrayals. You could help out various schools or destroy them. Seek out reclusive masters and learn forgotten or forbidden martial arts. Stuff like that.

But, good to know that another game is coming.

What it really needs inspiration from is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms side of things - the politics and court intrigues, and how they are governed, sometimes, by very different rules and conventions; there's some great stuff there, especially for the East Asian triplets (korea/china/japan) and it might be the way to go after they've done the 'ghosts and fluffies'.

Having recently replayed the game (which I had never done, as JE was the only Bioware game that wasn't interesting enough to me to warrant an instant replay) the sense I got was that if they were to continue forward they would focus in part on the "East" of the setting, which would obviously be Japan.

Edited by Pop

I absolutely loved Jade Empire, much to my own surprised. I am disappointed... but not totally surprised... that if this rumor is true, Jade Empire 2 will be XBox only. BioWare has been inching that way for years, and with Mass Effect has totally enscounced itself as a console developer with PC as a distant afterthought... if at all.

The one RPG for the PC that BioWare has been working on for what, five years now?, is Dragon Age... which has neither a publisher or a release estimate. I've seen too many wonderful games on the cusp of completion totally shelved over the years, and when I read that EA had bought Bio out, my first thought was that it sealed the last nail in Dragon Age's coffin. Hope I'm wrong. That happened once... :brows:

Edited by ~Di

I'm hopeful that if JE2 comes out on XBox, it will come out on PC later like Jade Empire Special Edition did. There's absolutely no guarantee of that, of course, so I suppose it depends on how well it worked (in terms of profits) for the first Jade Empire, and who gets to make the decision - I don't know if Microsoft has as much control over JE as they do over ME.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It's a Kung-Fu game with some Chinese folklore.

The Chinese will laugh at this statement. I'm already laughing at it as a Chinese.

To us, its just another game like a Disney Mulan. A Western fantasy game simply reskinned with Chinese appearance.

In order to truly understand or be inspired by Chinese folklore, culture and martial arts, read up on Louis Cha's novels. He is considered as a writing legend in martial arts and one responsible in popularising the WuXia genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Yong

Some instances of his famous novels which might be familiar to some Asians here:

-Legend of the Condor Heroes

-Return of the Condor Heroes

-Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre

-The Smiling and Proud Wanderer

-Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils

-The Deer and the Cauldron

Translation of the Smiling and Proud Wanderer can be found here:

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiling%2C_Proud_Wanderer

Translation

http://wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin_yong/smiling_proud_wanderer

By reading the story, you can realise how creative the writer is in making unusual kung fu names and usage as well as the philosophy behind it. It also serves as a guideline of Chinese themes, morals and culture.

========================================================================

An example of a unique and mysterious powerful character he had created which has his own place of legacy in some of his prominent novels:

Dugu Qiubai (Literally translated as "The Lonely One Who Seeks Defeat")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugu_Qiu_Bai

After reading this, you realised how unique the martial arts philosophy he managed to apply to his character and make it so interesting. Can Bioware even manage to achieve that without making the martial arts seemingly so generic?

Edited by Zoma

Cant I just watch alot of Kungfu films instead? Could you recommend any sweet ones I havent seen? :D

( Ive seen "The legend of Fon Sai Yuk" like 25 times..its awesome )

A Western fantasy game simply reskinned with Chinese appearance.

Anybody who is acquainted with actual Chinese or East Asian culture can confirm this statement, regarding Jade Empire. I mean, their transposing KOTOR Light/Dark Sides isn't even the beginning.

But then, I don't think Chinese literature holds a lot of interest for Western audiences. I'm realistically pessimistic about even just Chinese martial arts being adapated to JE2 without undergoing that 'localisation' for the Westerners that we are already familiar with. It is, after all, quite inevitable in many ways.

BioWare is BioWare, and they're doing their thing with JE2 as they did with the original. So I doubt it will be any different is terms of Westernification and genericism.

Watch "Once Upon a Time In China" series by Jet Li also.

wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_upon_a_time_in_china

youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yso4igoMIuU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NLihWL4Rxic&feature=related

Its the movie that revitalises martial arts genre in the Asian market when it came out and soon after, many movies followed on.

But then, I don't think Chinese literature holds a lot of interest for Western audiences. I'm realistically pessimistic about even just Chinese martial arts being adapated to JE2 without undergoing that 'localisation' for the Westerners that we are already familiar with. It is, after all, quite inevitable in many ways.

Its sad to know that in the end, the West sees Martial Arts just like another plain "Feat" or "Fireball" magic. Alot can be done to make a single martial art very interesting simply by adding a detailed history behind it, the application and uniqueness.

Look up at my Dugu Qiubai link in my previous post, I doubt that you have difficulty in understanding his martial arts right?

Edited by Zoma