AOL deep-sixes Netscape browser

Fionavar

http://www.news.com/underexposed/8301-1358...ml?tag=nefd.top

Any surprises?

for me is that it has lasted this long! I have had clients who still use it and call me with issues on websites - then they switch to FF or IE and all is good again.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

What? Netscape was still around?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Actually, the old Netscape 1.0 and 2.0 browsers (which were the first graphical ones I used after using emacs as a hypertext viewer) weren't so bad.

It was when they started to add all kinds of stuff, like email, newsreader and what have you into it that it started getting bad. You could say, they tried to cram an operating system into the browser instead of the other way around, forcing the browser into the operating system (which is what Microsoft ended up trying to do).

Still, it (netscape) was one of the pioneers in making the internet accessible to the general public.

d020.gif

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I used Netscape Navigator when I first got the internet in 1995, I think. I'm not even sure Internet Explorer existed then. We stuck with Netscape as long as we could, but in the end were browbeaten by Explorer's constant insistence on installing itself.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

hence the term "mozillionaires" from netscape's original IPO. of course, they all got incentive stock options which required that you hold on to the shares for 1 year after exercising, but you pay taxes on the delta between your strike price (um, grant price) and the IPO price. those that exercised their options on the day of the IPO ended up with tax bills that were greater than the value of their stock holdings after a year... it was devastating to many poor netscape employees.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I use IE mostly because it is what is there and it works. I am too lazy to download Firefox. :lol:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Nutscrape

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

while i prefer firefox, it still has issues with a lot of the pages i go to. my latest install at home is using IE7.0, which i will tolerate for a while before switching back to firefox. i'm on a firefox browser right now (at work), and i use thunderbird for my mailer. that's got some screwy issues, too. of course, outlook express requires that stupid messenger tool, and outlook is just waaaay too excessive for home use. grrr...

taks

while i prefer firefox, it still has issues with a lot of the pages i go to. my latest install at home is using IE7.0, which i will tolerate for a while before switching back to firefox. i'm on a firefox browser right now (at work), and i use thunderbird for my mailer. that's got some screwy issues, too. of course, outlook express requires that stupid messenger tool, and outlook is just waaaay too excessive for home use. grrr...

taks

Really? I've never had any issues with it, in fact I use it for sites which screw up in IE (well I used to except I never use Ie anymore)

Sand: I highly recommend it. There's a reason it's gained in a mere 3 years a 30% market share in a market where IE, a professional, Microsoft backed, OS-integrated programme had an 85% monopoly. That's a mind-boggling user uptake.

AOL is terrible in itself.

And wasn't Netscape that browser no one has used or seen for the last few years? Isn't that enough to declare it legally dead?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Really? I've never had any issues with it, in fact I use it for sites which screw up in IE (well I used to except I never use Ie anymore)

oh, there are plenty of places that require IE and won't even work with firefox or other browsers.

taks

oh, there are plenty of places that require IE and won't even work with firefox or other browsers.

taks

Hmm. Can you link to some?

Things like Flash, Shockwave, Java and whatnot still seem to have a better chance of working in IE than Firefox. I run into this a lot because many Korean websites, thanks to their superfast broadband network, are overloaded with flashy moving things. (Example: A Popular Music Site)

off the top of my head, no. it is complicated by the fact that i recently had to reinstall my entire system so all my history is gone. there were a few places in there that i had to use IE over firefox. problems usually arose when there were forms involved, i.e. you had to fill stuff out. as i recall, flash, shockwave and java stuff was a bit more flaky, too, particularly java since MS has their own version.

taks

Edited by taks

I'm always having trouble with Firefox's 'Find on this page' or whatever it's called - other than that, it's a lot more reliable than the version of Explorer I was using when I switched. That was my original reason for switching to explorer - it just caused fewer issues or problems at the time. But my router requires explorer to communicate with it, so I can't uninstall it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

In my experience, FF mainly has problems with anything requiring ActiveX. Ironically so does IE these days.

I've also encountered problems with some videoplayers on some sites. Mostly flash based and it could be ad-block that is causing the problems there. But I do have the add-on IEView that easily lets me open the pages in IE whenever that happen, so it's not much of a hassle. There is also a mod that lets you use the IE engine within FF, but it was a bit flaky when I tried (admittedly a long time ago), so I never cared much for it.

Also, FF has some issues with some banks here in Sweden. Mine works just fine, but I know my mom and a friend needs to use IE for that (two different banks even).

• 2 weeks later...

I remember in the late 90s I had a Netscape Install for the odd website that didn't show properly on IE.

Now, I'm a Firefox person, even at home (where once I was too lazy to bother).

If Google were to make a browser, I'd probably be all over that!