Post Your Desktop 2008

Bokishi

That is one ugly glass shader, it better be from a realtime demo or whoever made it should be pelted with pinecones.

Do you have a 30", Bok? We have one at uni and its a mixed blessing.. lots of workspace but windows-handling is a mess and SLi is a must unless you want to play every game on low.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That is one ugly glass shader, it better be from a realtime demo or whoever made it should be pelted with pinecones.

Do you have a 30", Bok? We have one at uni and its a mixed blessing.. lots of workspace but windows-handling is a mess and SLi is a must unless you want to play every game on low.

I got 2 8800s so I can play every new game on high. Except for Crysis, and let me tell you that Crysis on medium looks like ass, no matter what res you play it on

All this Windows stuff :thumbsup:

snap1qn2.th.jpg

snap2yu3.th.jpg

blah blah...PCLinuxOS...blah...Compiz Fusion straight from package manager...blah blah blah... Have a pile of art work that'll fill 1680x1250 on a rotation as a background. Have to get around to getting prettier icons, dock, etc one of these days.

Edited by Lokey

Just what I needed, another forum to keep up with.

Neversummer PW

Never tried Linux, what can it do better than windows?

It varies with each distribution, but overall it's much faster and much more stable than any windows iteration. There's also the wide possibilities to customize the OS to, as an example, handle memory in a way that makes a certain kind of application run faster.

Linux is the ideal OS for a graphics workstation, I know ILM have switched to only using linux workstations that are tailor-made to run their proprietary software packages on.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Never tried Linux, what can it do better than windows?

It varies with each distribution, but overall it's much faster and much more stable than any windows iteration. There's also the wide possibilities to customize the OS to, as an example, handle memory in a way that makes a certain kind of application run faster.

Linux is the ideal OS for a graphics workstation, I know ILM have switched to only using linux workstations that are tailor-made to run their proprietary software packages on.

The Achilles Heel is usually newly released DirectX games. UT/Quake/others do concurrent releases (still waiting on UT3 Linux demo, sadly). Well none of those games are DX anyway...I don't know about say Crysis or Bioshock on Linux, I do know that NWN2 takes a little trickiness to get running in an emulator and is still pretty dodgy (and if it weren't for that, I would nuke my WinXP partition in a second).

If it weren't for games, Lin is pretty much a no-brainer for general computer stuff unless you have to deal with an app that doesn't work natively or emulate. I'd say look at PCLinuxOS when the 2008 LiveCD is released or Sabayan: they're better at latest hardware, a bit of pretty, etc... Browse around http://distrowatch.com/ for exampe.

Edited by Lokey

Just what I needed, another forum to keep up with.

Neversummer PW

• 4 weeks later...

post-2029-1201980475_thumb.jpg

Birdy ftw \o/

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

• 3 weeks later...
Stupid question, I know :thumbsup:

How can I get a pic of my desktop? :blush10:

WINDOWS: You use the "Print Screen" button or "PrtSc" button. Hold down "Fn" if needed then open paint and paste and save and upload to Obsidian. Upload tools below posting window in post mode.

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

Stupid question, I know o:)

You're still around? :thumbsup:

Hi!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Stupid question, I know :lol:

You're still around? :ermm:

Hi!

MOD now? someone is crazy here :):down:

The desktop for now, at least o:)

Standards have really started slipping. They'll let anyone become a mod these days.

post-3491-1203461721_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...