Is it finally here? The death of the fantasy genre?

Kaftan Barlast

Okay, that makes sense.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

As I said earlier, book's genre is determined by its overall theme, not the setting. Science Fiction is about exploring the results of having advanced sciences on humanity. Fantasy is about exploring worlds drastically different from our own. Obviously, these are descriptions, not definitions. There is not real need for definitions of any genres, since genres are by their nature supposed to describe books, rather than set up guidelines for writing them.

The problem with many games (and books, and movies) is that they don't have an overall theme, aside from killing all that moves. This is why you are using settings to determine whether something is "sci-fi" or "fantasy". However, there is no real difference between casting fireball with a wand and casting plasma ball with some device. Instead of proclaiming that science fiction is fantasy or vice versa, maybe you should stop using "flavor" of the setting as a criteria?

Going back to the original question, the "tolkienesque" setting (which probably makes Tolkien roll in his grave) is often blindly copypasted into games. That is bad, but it's the copypasting part that makes it bad. Gaming industry needs original (as in "origin", not as in "pink elephant") settings. That has nothing to do with fantasy or science fiction.

"No, that's called fiction."

Nope. Not true. Fiction is anything not based on a true story. I write a story about someone being kidnapped even though it didn't happen. That's fiction; but it's not fantasy. Completely different than fantasy.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's why they are fiction; but not fantasy. Git it?

When I say based on, I mean no liberties taken with the story.

LOTR = Fantasy

Pearl Harbour = Fiction

Most documentaries = Non Fiction

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Half the things based on a true story are fiction. That's why it's "based on" a true story, not "is a true story". Hell, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Silence of the Lambs are both based upon the same true story.

And Psycho.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Half the things based on a true story are fiction. That's why it's "based on" a true story, not "is a true story". Hell, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Silence of the Lambs are both based upon the same true story.

And Psycho.

Huh. I knew all three were based on a true story, just not the same true story. Interesting how each had a vastly different presentation of the "story".

EDIT: Can anyone link to the original true story?

Edited by Gfted1

And Psycho.

Huh. I knew all three were based on a true story, just not the same true story. Interesting how each had a vastly different presentation of the "story".

EDIT: Can anyone link to the original true story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Serious response:

Is there a sword in the book you're reading, the movie you're watching, or the game you're playing? If so it's probably in the fantasy genre.

Joke response:

Mass Effect is the only fantasy game I've ever played, because it's the only game out where I can make 2 girls bone.

Edited by Shadowstrider

Holy crap, that is REALLY disgusting...

Baack to the original question, I wouldn't mind seeing fantasy die for a while. If only to come back later and hopefully be more original.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I wish Fantasy would go away and stay away just like eurodisco or white loafers with tassels.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Pseudo-medieval setting? Harry Potter is obviously modern. It takes place in modern earth. There are cars and trains and TV shows and newspapers. Where do you see the pseudo-medieval? Also I am not a fan of the series but the last time I saw some HP movie there were no elves or dwarves.

EDIT: And Harry Potter is just an example. Earthsea is doesn't have other races (like dwarves and elves), eastern settings are not pseudo-medieval and so on. The only common between them is magic, and in cases it is presented different from one to another.

Psuedo-medi

Edited by Krezack

Kinda funny when people with 3000+ posts in a Fantasy_games_developer-forum long for the death of the Fantasy-genre! I wonder if what they really mean to say is: "I wish I would grow up and stop being such a mega-fan of Fantasy-games!".

As for myself, I've surrendered and come to terms with the fact that I'll probably always love Fantasy-games, no matter how old I get. I just have to keep it a secret. Chicks tend to roll their eyes and giggle their way out the door when they see a room full of D&D books and Fantasy-game-boxes.

Ugh.. Clean it out!

GEEKS! :teehee:

J.

Kinda funny when people with 3000+ posts in a Fantasy_games_developer-forum long for the death of the Fantasy-genre! I wonder if what they really mean to say is: "I wish I would grow up and stop being such a mega-fan of Fantasy-games!"

While their fantasy-pst cant be denied, OE have only made one Fantasy game(nwn2) and as far as I know, there are no more in development. And Im happy if we dont see anymore of the genre, Im sick and tired of elves&dragons.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Same here, elves, dwarves, dragons... It's getting old. But that doesn't mean we can't get an original fantasy RPG once in a while. Though I still want a Steam-punk/alternate-universe-1930s RPG, for once.