Is it finally here? The death of the fantasy genre?

Kaftan Barlast

As I get further into Mass Effect, a hope has begun to grow inside me that this excellent game will signify the beginning of the end of this horribly outmilked genre known as fantasy. Every fantasy game under development has been released by now, and I hope no one is thinking about making another one. Sure, there is still WoW but that game could be set anywhere(I mean, a crackhead doesnt care if his glass pipe is blue or red)

I have played alot of fantasy games but as Im on chapter II of MotB* I realise that enough is finally enough. Magic swords and mystic spirits just bore me to so much that i wish I didnt have to play a fantasy game ever again. Just take all your poncy elfs, magic dragons, clich

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I am bored with fantasy as well, but I wouldn't call it dead quite yet. Dragon Age is still coming, and there is Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata. However I would love to see more games like ME come out and it looks like more sci fi is coming with ME 2, ME3, FO3, and Obsidian's Alien game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I was under the impression that Mass Effect is fantasy. I've seen several people liken it to KOTOR.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What makes KotOR fantasy is the fact that Star Wars uses magic aka the Force. ME doesn't use magic. Now ME isn't hard sci fi, but it uses cybernetics and genetic mutation to explain Biotics.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Explaining away your magic with technical terms does not constitute science fiction. Generally, if characters are playing around with super powers at all, then they're breaching into fantasy. But, that's only one theme. Star Wars had multiple fantasy themes it played with. KOTOR had even more. The whole good/evil conflict is another theme of fantasy that they play with.

Edited by Tale

There are enough elements in Mass Effect to deem it fantasy of a sort. Most sci-fi is fantasy, with conscious AI or faster-than-light travel or other convenient implausibilities. The Asari mind-meld is beyond any sort of explanation. But most of the force-like (hell, force-identical) powers in ME are explained away through the "element zero" plot device, which is above "it's an invisible, unknowable force" in terms of plausibility, but not by much.

But that's all semantics and pretty off-topic. We all know what Kaftan means when he says "fantasy", there's no point in bringing up the fantasy elements of science fiction. That having been said, I disagree with him, and I urge the game, literary, and role-playing communities not to drop everything they're doing and cater to his whims.

Both fantasy and science fiction should go take a running jump in the lake. Real world RPGs for the win.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I was asking because I'm highly interested in seeing some genuine sci-fi games. If it was sci-fi and not fantasy sci-fi or simply futuristic fantasy like Star Wars, it could be the argument I've been looking for to prevent me from buying a PS3 this weekend. Probably not, but it's possible!

Near future scifi could be nice. Like TLJ, I guess but without the parallel world.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Fair enough to cliche Fantasy, but isn't cliche scifi just as bad?

I don't know where ME goes as I haven't played it yet, but I mean, I'm sick of cliche scifi just as much as elves & dragons.

Meh. The Witcher proves there is plenty of life left in the fantasy genre for crpgs. A good game is a good game regardless of genre. A bad sf game is still a bad game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Let's not confuse the genre fantasy with the word fantasy, people. For the purpouse of this thread; fantasy = elves & dragons.

As far as fantasy RPG's go, I havent seen any new elements in years. It

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Let's not confuse the genre fantasy with the word fantasy, people. For the purpouse of this thread; fantasy = elves & dragons.
Let's not confuse the genre fantasy with the common setting fantasy is in. But the "for the purpose of the thread" point stands.

As far as fantasy RPG's go, I havent seen any new elements in years. It

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Is a freaking Heroes action RPG too much to ask?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Meh. The Witcher proves there is plenty of life left in the fantasy genre for crpgs.

I agree. I read this thread just after finishing The Witcher, and I thought its take on the 'fantasy' setting was fresh and interesting. I think getting away from sword-coast DnD and Tolkien are no bad things - MotB was different enough to hold my interest, and I think there must be a lot of Faerun that we haven't seen yet that could prove fun, so even the DnD setting isn't dead. Fantasy also comes from our collective heritage of folk-tales and mythology, and those have already stood the test of time.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Yeah, but you guys have to consider that The Witcher and MotB are not what you would call high fantasy. Here they may seemed be cloaked in a high fantasy setting, but The Witcher is more of visceral modern-day allegory, while MotB's use of hags and witches (instead of elves, dwarves, etc) heavily draws inspiration upon shamantic and tribal mythologies across the world.

manthing2.jpg