Unreal Tournament 3

Arkan

How come no other company can make a game look as good as UT3 without painfully chugging along?

I've got all the settings on high and a resolution at 1024. It runs as beautiful as it looks.

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

EPIC have very skilled graphics programmers(most everyone who works at epic is a master in their field), the U3 engine is really really wicked. ID Software's tech5 is probably just as fast, but theyve had longwer to work on it. CryTek on the other hand, rely on the power of nextgen hardware rather than optimizing their engine for whats currently available... although thats not really fair since CryEngine2 has some REALLY fancy stuff that absolutely require top-notch hardware.

But I was actually surprised that Epic themselves developed UT3, Gears of War is so much more interesting both in terms of gameplay and story/setting, that the logical thing would be to put U3 on license to another dev while they work on Gears of War 2.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But I was actually surprised that Epic themselves developed UT3, Gears of War is so much more interesting both in terms of gameplay and story/setting, that the logical thing would be to put U3 on license to another dev while they work on Gears of War 2.

That's right, a total surprise they developed a sequel to their own baby instead of outsourcing it to some nobody in order to create a highly interesting story/setting for Gears 2.

So far I haven't gotten into UT3. Since there are fewer jump combos theres less chance to move and dodge rockets/flak. My favorite weapon in UT2K4 was the Lightning Gun but they terminated it in this game, along with the shield gun. Thats alright, after all it is a different game. But i think Ill stick with UT2K4 because of the faster game play.

The graphic options were disappointing to me also. In UT2K4 you could customize EVERYTHING, in this game you have 5 different levels period. Unless you go into the game file and change it manually.

They have the shock Rifle at least, my second favorite gun.

When I go online, theres not many people playing it. That disappoints me a bit.

Can't wait till March when i get my new graphic card!!! :(

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

That's right, a total surprise they developed a sequel to their own baby instead of outsourcing it to some nobody in order to create a highly interesting story/setting for Gears 2.

Well, I might have a skewed picture in my end of the world, but it seems like no one was interested in another UT(and definently not another unreal sp). The miserable sales figures seem to prove that theory. So, IMO it would have made more sense to focus on Gears of War which is a really hot IP (it has also sold more copies than the entire Unreal franchise combined). Much of Epics staff are also just occupied with developing and supporting the engine(s), so they would be wise not to spread their workforce too thinly by continuing to develop games for an IP in decline. Would have been better to sell licenses.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I haven't really gotten into UT3, I might well when I get a new computer and can run it over LAN, the new game modes are more confusing than interesting, as always, but I spent more time with the UT franchise than any other shooter.

Maybe it's just dedicated multiplayer shooters that are in decline. Whatever the reason Unreal has never been able to deliver an acceptable single player experience.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Well, I might have a skewed picture in my end of the world, but it seems like no one was interested in another UT(and definently not another unreal sp).

Bite your tongue. I'm a member of a cult fanbase that numbers Unreal II among the top singleplayer FPS experiences of all time.

Such a bittersweet ending. *sniffle*

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The UT engines used to be the best there was for scalability as well, not anymore, but it's still pretty slick code. The time it took to make it actually shows.

Who IS the best, then?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

EPIC have very skilled graphics programmers(most everyone who works at epic is a master in their field), the U3 engine is really really wicked. ID Software's tech5 is probably just as fast, but theyve had longwer to work on it. CryTek on the other hand, rely on the power of nextgen hardware rather than optimizing their engine for whats currently available... although thats not really fair since CryEngine2 has some REALLY fancy stuff that absolutely require top-notch hardware.

Hmmm you didn't mention the source engine... But then again why would you?

Carmack and Sweeney have always been behind the best engines on the market, that ain't going to change, CryTek and Valve may try and produce competative engines, but as you said yourself, CryTek take a brute force method, and Valve are several miles away from decent stablility.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Well, I might have a skewed picture in my end of the world, but it seems like no one was interested in another UT(and definently not another unreal sp). The miserable sales figures seem to prove that theory. So, IMO it would have made more sense to focus on Gears of War which is a really hot IP (it has also sold more copies than the entire Unreal franchise combined). Much of Epics staff are also just occupied with developing and supporting the engine(s), so they would be wise not to spread their workforce too thinly by continuing to develop games for an IP in decline. Would have been better to sell licenses.

Epic actually have two internal development teams. The UT3 team is actually "new" (a few years ago Epic bought the American Army makers and integrated them into Epic - UT3 is the result), and the UnrealTech staff is actually an entire own team (plus 24/7 support). The Gears team had, with the excepting of some artists shifting, not much to do with the UT3 team.

I still have high respect for Epic though. Their teams remain small (max 30 members on Gears), they have the luxury to take their time and really care about the mod community. I'm not necessary a big fan about their latest games though (technically impressive, artistically directed towards 12 year old kids).

I hope they'll someday do something completely off the top.

The UT engines used to be the best there was for scalability as well, not anymore, but it's still pretty slick code. The time it took to make it actually shows.

Who IS the best, then?

That's something the client has to evaluate. JupiterFX Extended (FEAR engine) for example is a lot cheaper, not to mention the awesome 24/7 support that Touchdown Ent. provides. And it still has all important DX9 features supported, plus some rocked-solid content tool... (I'm currently fiddling around with the FEAR world editor. I love it).

Source, of course, is awesome too.

Well, I might have a skewed picture in my end of the world, but it seems like no one was interested in another UT(and definently not another unreal sp).

Bite your tongue. I'm a member of a cult fanbase that numbers Unreal II among the top singleplayer FPS experiences of all time.

Such a bittersweet ending. *sniffle*

Unreal 2 was "Unreal" in name only. The original Unreal was still the best.

The unreal series is a multiplayer phenomenon. Unreal 2 'the awakening' was a complete turkey, I know, I had the misfortune of misreading the label and getting that instead of UT2.

Unreal had multiplayer support. I thought at least the turkey would too, no such luck.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The unreal series is a multiplayer phenomenon. Unreal 2 'the awakening' was a complete turkey, I know, I had the misfortune of misreading the label and getting that instead of UT2.

Unreal had multiplayer support. I thought at least the turkey would too, no such luck.

The multiplayer mode for Unreal 2 was released a year or so later. Go google it.

I'm not necessary a big fan about their latest games though (technically impressive, artistically directed towards 12 year old kids).

If its Gears of War you're talking about Ill have to bring teh pain. Its just too good for words in every aspect.

(I know almost all the dialogue by heart)

I see, well, water under the bridge. Anyway they deserve to burn in hell for releasing it without multi.

You know, the developer (Legend Entertainment) was shut down after Unreal 2 was released. The scattered team still finished the MP mode on their own private time...I think they deserve some credit for that at least.

The MP mode wasn't made on private time. I eta tested the thing through ATARI. Had a particularly interesting bug, but that's beside my point. My point is the MP mode came through the official channels.

Legend shut down a year after XMP came out.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm not necessary a big fan about their latest games though (technically impressive, artistically directed towards 12 year old kids).

If its Gears of War you're talking about Ill have to bring teh pain. Its just too good for words in every aspect.

(I know almost all the dialogue by heart)

Let me guess, the dialogue goes like this "I'm Marcus Fenix and I have a big **** and now attack GO GO GO Marines Wah whahahaha take this bastard down Yessir Graaahhhhh!!!!1111@?&$!!

I see, well, water under the bridge. Anyway they deserve to burn in hell for releasing it without multi.

You know, the developer (Legend Entertainment) was shut down after Unreal 2 was released. The scattered team still finished the MP mode on their own private time...I think they deserve some credit for that at least.

The MP mode wasn't made on private time. I eta tested the thing through ATARI. Had a particularly interesting bug, but that's beside my point. My point is the MP mode came through the official channels.

Legend shut down a year after XMP came out.

Whatever. I don't care, you Unreal2 fanboy you!