KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 24

There would be some question marks about it, but I think they could definately do it. If LucasArts focuses on a game, I think they are more than capable of creating a good one. You can always get some guys who have worked on RPGs before anyway.

I'd prefer an RPG-expert like Obsidian or Bioware, but I don't think that LucasArts would fail on such a project.

Anyway, right now the most probable KotOR 3 possibility is one done by Lucasarts studio in the near future. There's an obvious market for it and after the next lightsaber game(remember that LA often has only one SW game in their focus, to avoid cross-hype, not to mention it being cheaper), SW:Force Unleashed, K3 is a likely prospect, maybe they'll even get an outside studio to develop it. Perhaps Obsidian? They've shown interest in making the game and by 2010(which isn't unprobable target for pre-production) they might have a game development "slot" free(if the 3 games being developed simultaneously-shtick holds water). However, there's a likelihood that it's not an rpg. Imagine, if Force Unleashed ends up selling well, and it will, that LA will take a hint and at least some of the core features of the combat dynamics(or rather, the lack of them) will be shown to the door and replaced with features from the more "user-friendly" actiony combat.

I don't know whether a LucasArts internal studio is able to create a roleplaying game of sufficient quality...

No, they don't have talent to do that. Doesn't mean it isn't likely that's what they are likely going to do

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Anyway, right now the most probable KotOR 3 possibility is one done by Lucasarts studio in the near future. There's an obvious market for it and after the next lightsaber game(remember that LA often has only one SW game in their focus, to avoid cross-hype, not to mention it being cheaper), SW:Force Unleashed, K3 is a likely prospect, maybe they'll even get an outside studio to develop it. Perhaps Obsidian? They've shown interest in making the game and by 2010(which isn't unprobable target for pre-production) they might have a game development "slot" free(if the 3 games being developed simultaneously-shtick holds water). However, there's a likelihood that it's not an rpg. Imagine, if Force Unleashed ends up selling well, and it will, that LA will take a hint and at least some of the core features of the combat dynamics(or rather, the lack of them) will be shown to the door and replaced with features from the more "user-friendly" actiony combat.

I don't know whether a LucasArts internal studio is able to create a roleplaying game of sufficient quality...

No, they don't have talent to do that. Doesn't mean it isn't likely that's what they are likely going to do

Indeed! It is possible that they will see their own limitations and outsource the development of KOTOR 3 to a company with sufficient talent, but I also have my doubts.

BTW if Obsidian is 3 -project company as Feargus stated many times.

And as we know it they aren't working right now on Neverwinter Nights NX2.

Then what is the third project? :-

We most certainly do not know that they are not working on Neverwinter Nights 2 NX2. In fact, most probably they are working on just that.

Besides:

1 Pure PC game

1 multiplatform game

1 console exclusive (in reality another "multiplatform" with PC version included as well)

Last two are Aliens game and Project Georgia. This means third one should be pure PC game. And that's what NWN2 and its expansion pack are.

Kotor is multiplatform game. Only way OE could be working on the game is if it was Project Georgia whcih we know it isn't. PG is new IP and published by SEGA

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

If they are working on it, I just wish someone would just step up to the plate and announce this already. I can't believe how much speculation there is concerning this particular project across the internet.

People have been discussing and speculating on this for so long now. It just wouldn't make much logical sense to NOT do it, and the reasons behind LucasArts and publisher stalling is beyond me.

If/when KOTOR 3 does come out, it's going to be as big as a feature film announcement...

OK, well, maybe not that big, but you get what I mean... :thumbsup:

Intel Core i5 760 2.8 GHz / MSI P55-CD53 / 8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series PC10666 1333 MHz DDR3 / MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti Hawk Edition 1 GB

I think that nowadays Lucasarts tries to create new events in order to promote awareness for their projects.

For example the Foce Unleashed the animated Clone Wars and the Vector (in comics) could be interconnected so getting one means that the probability of getting other products is increased.

Maybe after a year or so they go back to the Old Republic era and promote KOTOR 3 in a similar way.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Force unleashed and the clone wars animated series are about 20 years away from eah other in the Star Ward universe, so that theory doesnt really hold up, i would think that if LA had a reason to stall, its because they dont want to drive hype away from their main title at the moment, The Force Unleashed. So i would expect an announcement after Force unleashed is unleashed...

Force unleashed and the clone wars animated series are about 20 years away from eah other in the Star Ward universe, so that theory doesnt really hold up, i would think that if LA had a reason to stall, its because they dont want to drive hype away from their main title at the moment, The Force Unleashed. So i would expect an announcement after Force unleashed is unleashed...

i agree...i kinda think that the game bioware is making with them is k3 but they waiting to announce til after the forced unleashed!!

I do not fear the darkside as you do - Anikin Skywalker / Lord Vader

Isn't the Force Unleashed happening just after Ep 3?

Yes:

The Star Wars saga continues in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. You are Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice! The Dark Lord of the Sith himself has trained you to use a lightsaber and unleash the power of the Force, but now your destiny is your own. Will you join Vader as the next great Sith, or will you choose to defend peace and justice as a noble Jedi Knight? The expansive story, created under direction from George Lucas, is set during the largely unexplored era between Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

From Gamestop.com: Force Unleashed

Twitter | @Insevin

DSLuke

I think that nowadays Lucasarts tries to create new events in order to promote awareness for their projects.

For example the Force Unleashed the animated Clone Wars and the Vector (in comics) could be interconnected so getting one means that the probability of getting other products is increased.

Maybe after a year or so they go back to the Old Republic era and promote KOTOR 3 in a similar way.

Darth Jack:

So very true, both of you...

I can see them pacing their way through different points within the Star Wars universe, but at the same time, you can't deny the "business" and "marketing" aspects of these projects as well. It would be smart to only have an "exclusive" release to one title at a time, but wouldn't make sense to do both at the same time; that would be counter-productive in so many ways on a marketing/business level.

So, approaching from their perspective isn't necessarily unacceptable or unbelievable, just realistically manageable from a business aspect?

Perhaps...

Edited by ChorusOfOne

Intel Core i5 760 2.8 GHz / MSI P55-CD53 / 8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series PC10666 1333 MHz DDR3 / MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti Hawk Edition 1 GB

Another Kotor 3/MMO rumor. This time from 1UP. I'm getting tired of this:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166834

Possible Star Wars KOTOR MMO Evidence Surfaces

Anonymous tipster adds to the growing pile of speculation.

By Steve Watts, 03/06/2008

After BioWare and LucasArts made a deal last year to work together, the internet was ablaze with speculation about a new Star Wars MMO in the works. It makes sense considering the popularity of the Knights of the Old Republic series from BioWare and the much poorer status among fans of the non-BioWare Star Wars Galaxies. We more recently reported that the game was in fact a new MMO set in the KOTOR framework, a claim that was quickly denied by Electronic Arts.

Today, a tipster contacted 1UP with portions of a script for what was said to be a "Star Wars online" game. The script's description of the game reads:

"This is a role-playing game set in the historical past of the Star Wars universe. Jedi and Sith battle across the galaxy with the power of the Force and are joined by soldiers, politicians and nobles. Players must choose the destinies of heroes and villains in a thrilling and dangerous universe."

Historical past? Jedi and Sith battling across the galaxy? To we Star Wars nerds, that sounds quite a bit like the "Old Republic" timeline, which BioWare Senior Writer Drew Karpyshyn helped flesh out with the KOTOR series and by penning the Darth Bane novels.

The script goes on to show an exchange between the player and a character named Fuse, a naive bomb designer. The portions of the script that we received are fairly heavy with dialog, which isn't typical for an MMORPG, but it does read very much like a script to a KOTOR game. This could mean that the two projects are still separate. On the other hand, the game was described to the tipster as an MMO, and "heavy dialog" is practically BioWare's calling card.

1UP contacted LucasArts about the script pages we saw, but unsurprisingly their response was not forthcoming: ""We don't have any comment beyond what we've already announced."

This isn't quite a smoking gun blaster yet, and our contact isn't Deep Throat; but the script looked legitimate and the style and tone of it shares a lot in common with the BioWare games we already know, including the more recent (but fairly similar) Mass Effect. We'll keep you posted as more news surfaces.

M4-78 Enhancement Project :: www.m4-78ep.deadlystream.com

banneranimatedlucasforu.gif

Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today!

Another Kotor 3/MMO rumor. This time from 1UP. I'm getting tired of this:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166834

Heh, you and me both. I really, truly hope that even if they do decide to make an MMO out of KOTOR (which really, in theory, is a very plausible idea), they don't neglect a conclusion for the single-player KOTOR campaigns. I personally don't play MMOs, so resolution and closure to what they started with the first two games is absolutely necessary, I would think...

Edited by ChorusOfOne

We know that BioWare is working on a story-based MMO already. Some argue that it could not take on two MMO projects simultanously, but what if the announcement of BioWare-LucasArts cooperation merely makes public an already existing cooperation on the afore-mentioned MMO. That would mean that the MMO project and the LucasArts cooperation are one and the same thing.

Of course, I don't care at all for a KOTOR MMO. Indeed, it would most likely eliminate any chance of a proper single player KOTOR CRPG for a long time to come.

We know that BioWare is working on a story-based MMO already. Some argue that it could not take on two MMO projects simultanously, but what if the announcement of BioWare-LucasArts cooperation merely makes public an already existing cooperation on the afore-mentioned MMO. That would mean that the MMO project and the LucasArts cooperation are one and the same thing.

Of course, I don't care at all for a KOTOR MMO. Indeed, it would most likely eliminate any chance of a proper single player KOTOR CRPG for a long time to come.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/852/852342p1.html

Lucasarts: "Yes, we are working with BioWare. We've announced that we're working with the developer on a project, but it has nothing to do with Knights of the Old Republic."

oh wow, pwnz0red.

Official decline by Bioware in Kotor forums: Reliable by large, but not entirely

Second decline by official lucasarts representative in official magazine: 100 % reliable

WIN

Guest The Architect

Yeah, Dark Wastl already posted that news earlier in this thread:

I'm not sure if anyone has written this yet, but LucasArts has commented on this matter:

source: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/852/852342p1.html

If you ignore the false statement by IGN about both announcing an MMO, you come to this quote:

"Yes, we are working with BioWare. We've announced that we're working with the developer on a project, but it has nothing to do with Knights of the Old Republic."

Not sure if it was meant that way, but the way it is worded means that their cooperation has absolutely nothing to do with KOTOR.

I guess LucasArts wants to do the 2038484 tie-in to movies or the new tv-series, instead of continuing what is pretty much their most wanted franchise. Nothing new really, somehow they did this with every popular sub-franchise they had.

But the fact still remains that BioWare MMORPG definitely =! K3, which is ****in' good news.

But the fact still remains that BioWare MMORPG definitely =! K3, which is ****in' good news.

^^^ Huh?

By the looks of it, everything out there is saying that it's NOT KOTOR 3-related.

Did I miss something? :thumbsup:

Edited by ChorusOfOne

^^^ Huh?

By the looks of it, everything out there is saying that it's NOT KOTOR 3-related.

It is known that Bioware is working on a MMORPG, just not what it is about. Some people hoped it would be set in the Knights of the Old Republic setting and some hoped it didn't. The Nays have it :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest The Architect

^^^ Huh?

Yes, you did.

=! means doesn't equal.

Which means I was saying the BioWare MMORPG definitely doesn't equal K3, meaning it's definitely not K3, or KotOR related at all.

=! means doesn't equal.

Oh, you think that was the part he missed?

=! = :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein