KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 24

http://pc.ign.com/articles/851/851873p1.html

First glimpses of a new Pandemic-developed Lord of the Rings game were also given via a release planning list (along with another unannounced title by the company as well), but there's nothing to go off of yet aside from the developer and generic "Lord of the Rings" title listing. In addition, a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is also showing up, listing BioWare as the developer. No platform is listed however, which certainly opens the door for some interesting news down the line.

Take what you will from that

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

That's why ppl hone their skills -and Yavin IV maps were challenging

Perhaps I will use Mass Effect to hone my skills, now that it is coming to the PC. Still, at least some sort of pause function would be desirable.

For KOTOR 3, I think the best compromise would be real time combat with a pause button, but a success mechanic(s) based on character abilities rather than player's reactions. This is in fact what we had in KOTOR 1 & 2.

Before people get too excited about Bioware doing KotOR3, Bioware has already debunked this rumor on their boards.

This seems to be much ado about nothing (to quote the bard). This was a slide that EA used to show the pedigree of the different studios to investors. That is why you see games that have already been released (like KotOR, Black, Boogie and others) mentioned on the slide.

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewpost.html?...6259&stag=0

Sorry. It appears KotOR3 remains vapourware in limbo...

They weren't really sure though :grin:

The biggest thread on this topic was closed by one of Bioware's designers, but opened again shortly after that by the community manager. It was only closed again (with the mentioned quote), after the community manager went asking higher authorities. If the community manager, who is responsible for commenting on and closing any topic about rumoured Bioware titles, has no idea how to deal with that, it does seem rather sketchy. Though that kind of goes into the area of really wild theories, using some twisted logic :grin:

Jediphile is once again made of win and awesome

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well, I guess it'll be a matter of time before we start wondering if KOTOR III is going to be an MMO again...

How far away is E3 again?

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I'm not sure if anyone has written this yet, but LucasArts has commented on this matter:

source: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/852/852342p1.html

If you ignore the false statement by IGN about both announcing an MMO, you come to this quote:

"Yes, we are working with BioWare. We've announced that we're working with the developer on a project, but it has nothing to do with Knights of the Old Republic."

Not sure if it was meant that way, but the way it is worded means that their cooperation has absolutely nothing to do with KOTOR.

I guess LucasArts wants to do the 2038484 tie-in to movies or the new tv-series, instead of continuing what is pretty much their most wanted franchise. Nothing new really, somehow they did this with every popular sub-franchise they had.

I'm not sure if anyone has written this yet, but LucasArts has commented on this matter:

If you ignore the false statement by IGN about both announcing an MMO, you come to this quote:

"Yes, we are working with BioWare. We've announced that we're working with the developer on a project, but it has nothing to do with Knights of the Old Republic."

Not sure if it was meant that way, but the way it is worded means that their cooperation has absolutely nothing to do with KOTOR.

I guess LucasArts wants to do the 2038484 tie-in to movies or the new tv-series, instead of continuing what is pretty much their most wanted franchise. Nothing new really, somehow they did this with every popular sub-franchise they had.

Interesting.

In fact, very interesting.

Assuming that is a correct quote, it means that Lucasarts have now actually told us, that whatever Bioware is working on for them is NEITHER KotOR3 nor KotOR MMORPG. That is news to me, since it's the first time I hear Lucasarts confirm that this is NOT KotOR in any way.

I thought at one point that the talk might be about Indiana Jones, but I doubt that now, since that movie is much closer now, and surely LA would then have lifted the veil about the game at the same time that they revealed details about the movie itself.

And note that while LA said this was not KotOR, they did not say it was not Star Wars. Bioware's involvement in this project has puzzled me, because while they have said in the past, that they are not doing KotOR3, they have also said they were interested in doing only their own IP. However, that cannot be the case here, since I doubt LA would have been involved in that case.

It seems obvious to me that whatever this project is, it is tied to a franchise owned by LA. I also suspect the announcement about the project was made only because people noticed that the site lucasartsbioware.com had been registered, in which case it's best to make a statement to either confirm or deny the inevitable speculation that follows. I mean, it's almost five months since they made the statement, and we still don't know what this game is? Very odd. Unless, of course, the collaboration was unveiled before it was intended.

Despite recent rumors to the contrary, I'm beginnig to think that this is indeed Bioware's MMORPG to be set in the Star Wars universe. Why is it not announced yet? Well, there is already a Star Wars MMORPG. However, it's popularity is questionable at best. And IIRC, SOE has the licence for Galaxies only until 2009, which just happens to also be the time when the Star Wars live-action tv-series set between Episodes III and IV is rumored to hit the screens.

Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

I did post a thought somewhere that Bioware's new MMO might be SWG, after SOE loses their license and LA hands it to Bioware. I think people might give Bioware a chance with a SW MMO despite what SOE did with Galaxies starting with the CU and the NGE.

But it's just a thought, and not even I would put any bit of money on that.

DAWUSS

Thanks for posting this. It is very bad news indeed, but at least we know where things stand.

I'd like to see BioWare take back KOTOR, but since they're unreliable about continuing popular franchises, likely any attempt will be by Obsidian. Wouldn't we be stunned if another company took KOTOR III such as Pandemic or Sony?

Histoy of Lucas Arts (See why they could be unpredictable)

Twitter | @Insevin

There will be a KOTOR 3, just as there will be a Halo 4(there is an in-game cutscene that proves this, Just finish Halo 3 on Legendary and wait till after the credits), a Assasins Creed 2 and a Super Mario Universe. Do you know why?

MONEY, the reason the Star Wars Prequels ever happened, why EA make the same game over and over again and the same reason theres going to be a COD 5(which just lost 40% of its because its going back to WWII). Supply and demand is a big thing, the fact that everyone is talking about it now means that Bioware/obsidan will make it, but they will try and drag it out, as this will increase hype and sales. but Lucasarts wont let Bioware announce it yet because of The Force Unleashed, as it would divert attention from it to the sparkly KOTOR 3. I would expect an announcement in E3, if not Christmas 2008

Remember EA isn't behind ALL of today's popular games. Off Topic: Halo 4 will be less popular than the first three due to Bungie's split with Microsoft early this year (Microsoft owning the Halo IP) "Give me Liberty or I won't make Halo 4" "Too bad dumb*** you just lost Halo IP now go suck your own ****"

Twitter | @Insevin

So your "argument" boils down to LA being less greedy than EA? Thats like saying sweet water is wetter than salty water lol... Weak to put it mildly...

In any case LA just got a 3-6months extension in my mind... ME for PC will do me nicely to shorten the proverbial wait :shifty:

Edited by Brdavs

There won't be Halo 4

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

There will be a KOTOR 3, just as there will be a Halo 4(there is an in-game cutscene that proves this, Just finish Halo 3 on Legendary and wait till after the credits), a Assasins Creed 2 and a Super Mario Universe. Do you know why?

MONEY, the reason the Star Wars Prequels ever happened, ...

Uh, no, the Star Wars prequels weren't made because of money. Well, of course they were supposed to make money, like every movie, game, song or whatever product you can think of, but it wasn't its main reason. If it had been about money, Lucas would never have made a 16 year long break till the next movie, he would have continued making them in the 80s.

Not every successful game gets a sequel, there have been plenty which didn't get one, LucasArts has some of those as well. Just because it's an obvious choice to make, doesn't mean that a company will indeed make that decision.

I have played through Kotor 12 times and Kotor 2 even more times...

so i have quite a chunk of knowledge about them

as every time i beat the game i perfected a different aspect..

and each time i beat the game i found things that need to be modified for a sequel version..

if obsidian is wise it shall release the 3kotor, and then a mmorpg..

in which i would very much like to be a accuracy consultant and tester in

the making of these games..

would be valuable asset to the perfection of the gamee