KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 24

3/4 view is used almost exclusively with 2D games. It's the same as Isometric perspective.

http://gbamedia.gamespy.com/gba/image/arti...09061309295.jpg

http://www.toadscastle.net/images/smrpg-1.gif

would be 3/4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3/4_perspective

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

OK, I think I get it now. Thanks. :p

I think Kotor 3 would almost certainly have a different engine to the previous two games in the series (given the elapsed time), but I imagine they will want to keep a similar approach to camera/view. Personally I liked the NWN2 camera which you could constantly adjust, but I guess some people found that problematic. I don't see why first-person, over-the shoulder and freer third-person shouldn't all be options.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

OK, I think I get it now. Thanks. o:)

I don't see why first-person, over-the shoulder and freer third-person shouldn't all be options.

Well, the only problem with first person in KOTOR is that you will not see the fancy lightsaber dueling and fighting, only what goes on right in front of your face.

And what is going on in front of your face? Perhaps lightsaber dueling?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Have you played Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? I assure you, the scope is nothing like a keyhole.

But preferences are what they are, I guess.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

SWG's (original) combat was fine for me. Though, I do have a personal disagreement with their melee-ranged balance.

I agree. The original combar system was fine. Too bad ranged combat got compromised with the advent of the stacker builds.

Straighforword 3D full movment view is my first and always choice, like in Far Cry, I HATE isometric and the cam controls in NWN2 are some of the hardest I have ever encountered, but i hasten to add all this is my humble opinion.

Re KOTR III, I hope somehow it will happen someday, sooner than later. As engines evolve so does the potential for another blaockbuseter wonder of a game, like both KOTR I and KOTR II are each in their own way.

There is no Chaos, there is only Serenity.

KotoR 3 needs a new PC. I would really enjoy seeing Revan and the Exile unknowningly fighting against each other. Say each side has been tricked by the True Sith into believing that the other is the True Sith. Neither Revan nor the Exile know that they are fighting their former ally. Trickery and deceit are the way of the Sith. New PC comes into story and must discover the truth about the conflict between Revan and the Exile, and then resolve in in the manner he sees fit.

As to the continued idea of fighting in the mandalorian wars, I would love the see an FPS where you play as a mandalorian supercomando during the war. It would be fun, but only people who played KotoR and loved the mandies would enjoy it.

I can't see how Revan and the Exile wouldn't notice each other, they aren't some weak-minded fools.

Especially since Revan was already in the Sith's territory for four years, by that time you know who your enemy is. One shouldn't make the enemy artificially powerful by making the good guys stupid.

[quote name='Dark Wastl'

I can't see how Revan and the Exile wouldn't notice each other, they aren't some weak-minded fools.

Especially since Revan was already in the Sith's territory for four years, by that time you know who your enemy is. One shouldn't make the enemy artificially powerful by making the good guys stupid.

They wouldn't have to be stupid to not notice eachother. At the end of KotoR 2 it had been eight years since the Exile and Revan had seen eachother. Depending on when KotoR 3 starts off it could have several years more. At this point both Revan and the Exile are very incredibly different form who they were at the end of the mandalorian wars. The Exile is a rift in the force that would be unrecognizable to somone who hadn't seen him after the war. Depending on the endings for 1 Revan could be a powerful Sith Lord whose presence could feel incredibly different from his former self. Cut scenes that showed the Exile and Revan could show them cloaked or masked and the new PC could spend a great amount of the game unaware of whom they were.

As to the power of the enemy, you have to consider who these Sith are. These are the Sith that have a run an empire unnoticed and undetected for centuries. They would have to be far more hidden an subtle than Kreia and her minions ever were. They would have to be able to hide themselves from the force entirely to avoid detection by the Jedi during the thousand some odd years that went by between the Great Hyperspace War and the Mandalorian War. How Revan was even able to disvocer them is still in question. Going to the surface of a long uninhabited planet and finding an abandoned Sith Academy that contained powerful Sith teachings hardly suggests a thriving Sith Empire in unknown space to me.

Kreia suggested that the "True Sith" caused the Mandalorian war and thus the two wars that followed it, but how certain can we be of her truthfulness. She said that Revan found out about the "True Sith" and decided to unite the Republic through his darkness so that it could fight them off, but all of this is second hand knowledge. What if Kreia was wrong about everything Revan did. I don't recall her ever saying that she gained her information from Revan herself. Kreia was the sith "LORD of Betrayal" and it's not very hard for me to believe that at the end of 2 when she sees into the future and tells the Exile what he must do she might have been LYING. One last betrayal before she died. Telling the Exile that Revan went to fight an unknown evil in a distant galaxy could have been her sending her killer into a trap knowing that he would certianly follow his former leader into the bowels of hell if necessary. Everything that Kreia ever told the Exile about Revan could have been lies used to crate questions that only the Jedi masters who had exiled him could hope to answer. Her stories either led you to kill the masters yourself or to collect them on dantooine where she could kill them herslef. In the end it was doubt that killed Sion and it would be just like Kreia to use the Exiles doubts as a weapon against him. Let us not forget that Kreia's plan was to destroy the force, which would include killing the Sith, the Jedi, the Exile, and even Revan. Why would she choose to help anyone at all? I think that 3 will certainly see even more of Kriea's betrayals.

They wouldn't have to be stupid to not notice eachother. At the end of KotoR 2 it had been eight years since the Exile and Revan had seen eachother. Depending on when KotoR 3 starts off it could have several years more. At this point both Revan and the Exile are very incredibly different form who they were at the end of the mandalorian wars. The Exile is a rift in the force that would be unrecognizable to somone who hadn't seen him after the war. Depending on the endings for 1 Revan could be a powerful Sith Lord whose presence could feel incredibly different from his former self. Cut scenes that showed the Exile and Revan could show them cloaked or masked and the new PC could spend a great amount of the game unaware of whom they were.

As to the power of the enemy, you have to consider who these Sith are. These are the Sith that have a run an empire unnoticed and undetected for centuries. They would have to be far more hidden an subtle than Kreia and her minions ever were. They would have to be able to hide themselves from the force entirely to avoid detection by the Jedi during the thousand some odd years that went by between the Great Hyperspace War and the Mandalorian War. How Revan was even able to disvocer them is still in question. Going to the surface of a long uninhabited planet and finding an abandoned Sith Academy that contained powerful Sith teachings hardly suggests a thriving Sith Empire in unknown space to me.

Kreia suggested that the "True Sith" caused the Mandalorian war and thus the two wars that followed it, but how certain can we be of her truthfulness. She said that Revan found out about the "True Sith" and decided to unite the Republic through his darkness so that it could fight them off, but all of this is second hand knowledge. What if Kreia was wrong about everything Revan did. I don't recall her ever saying that she gained her information from Revan herself. Kreia was the sith "LORD of Betrayal" and it's not very hard for me to believe that at the end of 2 when she sees into the future and tells the Exile what he must do she might have been LYING. One last betrayal before she died. Telling the Exile that Revan went to fight an unknown evil in a distant galaxy could have been her sending her killer into a trap knowing that he would certianly follow his former leader into the bowels of hell if necessary. Everything that Kreia ever told the Exile about Revan could have been lies used to crate questions that only the Jedi masters who had exiled him could hope to answer. Her stories either led you to kill the masters yourself or to collect them on dantooine where she could kill them herslef. In the end it was doubt that killed Sion and it would be just like Kreia to use the Exiles doubts as a weapon against him. Let us not forget that Kreia's plan was to destroy the force, which would include killing the Sith, the Jedi, the Exile, and even Revan. Why would she choose to help anyone at all? I think that 3 will certainly see even more of Kriea's betrayals.

Point and game! Excellent summary and even greater points... I do so enjoy reading your posts Mac. I may be wrong about this but when Jolee Bindo tells us that he fought the Sith in his younger days, wasn't he reffering to the Hyperspace Wars and Exar Kun? At least that is what I had always surmised. If so, then it has not been long since the Sith Empire had yet again been very powerful. But again, perhaps I misinterpreted it as well...

I totally agree about Kreia. She lied even to herself so wshe could very well lie to the exile, in turn. She tells the exile that she loved him more than anything and that in the end, there would only be the truth between master and apprentice, but who knows? On another note, since Kreia trained Revan, do you think she would have lied to Revan as well? Perhaps Revan did not ask her to follow him because he had no further use for her or because Revan realized she had manipulated Revan... Only time will tell... A discussion for another time, perhaps... *wry smirk*

Point and game! Excellent summary and even greater points... I do so enjoy reading your posts Mac. I may be wrong about this but when Jolee Bindo tells us that he fought the Sith in his younger days, wasn't he reffering to the Hyperspace Wars and Exar Kun? At least that is what I had always surmised. If so, then it has not been long since the Sith Empire had yet again been very powerful. But again, perhaps I misinterpreted it as well...

First off, thanks for the compliments Kurren. I actually took the time to read some of your other posts and enjoyed your thoughts about who the best Sth Lord was. In answer to your questions about Jolee, Exar, and the hyp war you are a little mistaken. The Great Hyperspace War was about 1000 years before KotoR and was first made in a two part comic book series called Tales of the Jedi- The Golden Age of the Sith and Tales of the Jedi- The Fall of the Sith Empire made in 1996. It involved Ludo Kressh, Naga Sadow, and the recently departed Marka Ragnos. So in Truth the last known "Sith Empire" died 1000 years before KotoR.

The war that Jolee fought in was the Great Sith War, which happened 40 years prior to KotoR. This war was first made in the comic book series that started with Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi- Knights of the Old Republic in october of 1993 and ened with Tales of the Jedi-The Sith War in Janurary of 1996. Although Tales of the JEdi- Redemption was later added July of 1998, but it was about Ulic Quel-Droma's personal redemption for the cromis he commited during the Sith War and wasn't actually part of the war. This war did not involve Legions of SIth force users that are presented in the KotoR games. It involed the Mandalorians, the Krath, Exar, Ulic, and a group of converted Jedi. However, If you read the comics you discover that Exar Kun forcibly convertred these Jedi by embedding the shards of a shattered Sith Holocron into them. KotoR the game added more Sith converts into Jolee's personal story to make the war seem bigger than it really was.

The comics are really worth reading and if anyone is interested them you'll have trouble finding the originals in either single copy or trade paper back form, but fortunately Dark Horse Comics has reprinted the Comics in two "Tales of the Jedi" omnibuses that contain all of them, the first of which has out since October and should be easy to find and the second is currently scheduled to be released on April 9th. THey're 25 bucks each and will really expand your knowledge of events that are only briefly mentioned in the KotoR games. I actually read the Star Wars novels and comics and have a knowledge of STar Wars that goes far beyond anything anyone can ever hope to learn by just playing KotoR. If anyone has any wuestions about anything to do WIth Star Wars I am more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.

P.S. --If you want more information on anything to do with Star Wars you should go to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/. Also known as wookiepedia. Thats right there is a starwars wiki and its been very reliable.

P.S.S.-- can anyone tell me how to properly quote someone in a response like everyone does, i fell very ignorant not knowing the proper dialogue format for the forum.

P.S.S.-- can anyone tell me how to properly quote someone in a response like everyone does, i fell very ignorant not knowing the proper dialogue format for the forum.

Sure. At the bottom right after each post are options, including 'Quote' and 'Reply'. Click 'Quote' so that it turns red, then click 'Reply'. The post you quoted should then appear in the edit window inside quote tags:

[ quote ]

[ /quote ]

(but without the spaces.)

I forgot to mention the fun fact that Exar Kun was the first one to build a double bladed lightsaber.... just in case you didn't know

Yes, and a dafter and less practical weapon there has never been, surely. How did he die - sliced off a couple of major limbs, did he?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

what we really, really need! is more varations of the Gennok's o:)

Jedi Master Altena Windwalker

Pub 9 Elder Jedi, Star Wars Galaxies: Nurf of the Jedi

"We are oft to blame in this--'tis too much proved. --that with devotion's visage and pious action...we do suger o'er the devil himself. " - V

"Spelling errors in my post, oh noes! I'm Japanese and English is not primery language plus I'm dyslexic.

K3 needs blood. I see blood mentioned on the Rating box thingy, but I don't see any blood ingame.

Seriously. I'm not asking for huge blood spurts when killing an enemy (lightsabers have a tendency to heat-seal wounds), but at least some sort of blood from an unshielded enemy being hit with a sword.

Though I have to admit, after playing Mass Effect, Kotor's sword combat looks a bit silly.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Guest Accept
K3 needs blood. I see blood mentioned on the Rating box thingy, but I don't see any blood ingame.

Seriously. I'm not asking for huge blood spurts when killing an enemy (lightsabers have a tendency to heat-seal wounds), but at least some sort of blood from an unshielded enemy being hit with a sword.

Though I have to admit, after playing Mass Effect, Kotor's sword combat looks a bit silly.

Star Wars have never been bloody, so I don't think that will suddenly occur in KotOR III.

Star Wars have never been bloody, so I don't think that will suddenly occur in KotOR III.

Republic Commando says hello

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I wouldn't exactly call cutting off hands and arms with a lightsaber unbloody. :bat:

There was blood in the game, though only in one instance.

Quite frankly, I could care less whether there is any blood or not, it simply is of no importance to the game.