Tying 4E FR Changes to Computer CRPGs

The Forgotten Realms setting will undergo a great upheaval in the transition from the 3.X edition to 4th edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Many things will be reorganized and a number of deities will fall.

I think this presents a golden opportunity to tie in a computer game (perhaps the next expansion of Neverwinter Nights 2 [i am assuming that the excellent Mask of the Betrayer sold well enough to justify another expansion) into the game, in such a way so that the story of the CRPG actually changes the setting. For example, the designers of the game could communicate with the designers in WotC, who would inform Obsidian (or Obsidian could suggest) that they need god X to be killed off, or ruler of country Y to be overthrown and the player could do these things in the game. Wouldn't it be nice to have players being able to affect our favorite setting in this manner? This is the best opportunity to do something like that, since the campaign setting is in such a state of flux that this would not upset the Forgotten Realms (at least not beyond what is being done already). It may also soften the blow for those opposing some of the changes by empowering us to carry them out ourselves - that would make it psychologically much more satisfying.

I would love to be able to impact the Realms in this manner. Wouldn't you?

FR can burn for all I care now, thanks to 4th ed.

That's a bit harsh. The changes are going to be made regardless, wouldn't it be better if we got some proper in-game explanation for at least some of them, rather than rely on what we are getting from the 4E FR developers, which does not seem to be all that popular and may be a bit short on consistency? I think my idea would result in a win-win.

You know they're going to release another series of absolutely craptacular fantasy to explain things

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I would have preferred FR to be killed off like Wizards did to some of the other settings when they introduced 3rd edition.

Some of these setting were a major loss (and losing FR would also be a major loss). I still look back fondly at Dark Sun. Even Dark Sun CRPGs were great - I have fond memories of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and the sequel Dark Sun: The Wake of the Ravager (though extensive game-breaking bugs hampered the latter experience).

As I recall, the FR changed from 1st to 2nd edition too.

From what I heard, that wasn't a good thing... of course... it did get us Baldur's Gate......

The best thing that happen with AD&D.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

While it is nice to dream about what's not going to happen..

I think this is a nice idea. We all know the dissatisfaction around not being able to destroy a certain canon FR system at the end of MOTB; if the OP's idea was adapted, such a thing coudl well be done through the game, the death of a God or the permanent destruction or transformation of a civilisation. I think it's an exciting prospect?

You know they're going to release another series of absolutely craptacular fantasy to explain things

Perish the thought. :grin:

I found the idea of the Time of Troubles - and the fact that people were still living with the consequences - very interesting and an engaging part of Baldur's Gate. Was there a similar backstory created around the change from second to third editions? I can't say it came across strongly during Neverwinter Nights the way the Time of Troubles did through Baldur's Gate...

As for a game, sure, why not? And I like the Forgotten Realms setting, especially now that they seem to be getting away from the western part. There are whole areas of the map that I know nothing about, and plenty of mileage left in the setting, I reckon. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I would have preferred FR to be killed off like Wizards did to some of the other settings when they introduced 3rd edition.

Some of these setting were a major loss (and losing FR would also be a major loss). I still look back fondly at Dark Sun. Even Dark Sun CRPGs were great - I have fond memories of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and the sequel Dark Sun: The Wake of the Ravager (though extensive game-breaking bugs hampered the latter experience).

I loved Dark Sun Shattered Lands, even now a days i can still play it. The second game was too bug riddled for my taste personally. I would love to see remakes for these two games if only so i can actually finish the second game. :grin:

Note to self: use word 'craptacular'. Preferably in advice to client.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Let the Forgotten Realms ahve its last hurrah with 3.5e, use Eberron as the default system for 4e and create a new campaign setting made specifically for 4e. Instead of trying to convert and destroy the Realms into 4e, just start anew. WotC would piss off the fanbase a lot less if they do that.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Let the Forgotten Realms ahve its last hurrah with 3.5e

And somewhere out there in the stars

A keen-eyed look-out

Spied a flickering light

Our last hurrah

And when they found our shadows

Groups 'round the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data in their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

Considering RPG's area amusement, I find situation scary :brows:

*looks up for UFO's*

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Let the Forgotten Realms ahve its last hurrah with 3.5e, use Eberron as the default system for 4e and create a new campaign setting made specifically for 4e. Instead of trying to convert and destroy the Realms into 4e, just start anew. WotC would piss off the fanbase a lot less if they do that.

I agree. I think it's the easier course of action. But I bet Wizards of the Crapper will manage to screw it up somehow.

EDIT: But on topic: From the perspective of a CRPG, it's good that these changes are occurring. They give plenty of plot material to work with, regardless of how much they might bastardise the setting - I mean, if WoTC decrees it must happen, make lemonade out of lemons, right?

Edited by Krezack

But on topic: From the perspective of a CRPG, it's good that these changes are occurring. They give plenty of plot material to work with, regardless of how much they might bastardise the setting - I mean, if WoTC decrees it must happen, make lemonade out of lemons, right?

Definitely! It certainly gives the potential for a truly epic storyline with Realms-changing impact without disrupting the setting, which is changing anyway.