Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Graphics Cards at Present and in the Future

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Atreides

Atreides

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thanks Withteeth! I'll check them out and decide which mobo I'm going with.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
GeForce 9800 GX2 coming on Feb, 19th
This defies what i said earlier about the D9 high end not coming out soon, i hope this artical is true, but not sure how dependable this site is once again.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
The 3870 X2
Posted Image Notice anything different?

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts
How can the first 9 series card be a GX2? Is the 9-series GPU really that weak that they need two of them?

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

How can the first 9 series card be a GX2? Is the 9-series GPU really that weak that they need two of them?

I doubt that website is credible. Although the picture of the ATI X2. With the 2 processors on the same PCB is real i think.

Magister Lajciak

Magister Lajciak

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1647 posts

The 3870 X2

Actually, there are some visible differences. For example, the green panel is longer on the top card than on the bottom one.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts

The 3870 X2

You really shouldn't have posted that.

Bokishi is trying to cut down on his pr0n. :)

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
I don't think Bok gets turned on by ATI at the moment.. or ever.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
The graphic cards above have Dual Processors on 1 PCB. Notice the 2 tension clips on the PCB, 1 for each processor. I would rather they follow AMD, or Intels lead, by just making multi core processors, instead of plopping 2 down in one PCB, but its s step above slapping 2 PCB's together and shoving it in 1 slot. The 7900GTX2 had mega heat, and horrible drivers, from what I've read.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The graphic cards above have Dual Processors on 1 PCB. Notice the 2 tension clips on the PCB, 1 for each processor. I would rather they follow AMD, or Intels lead, by just making multi core processors, instead of plopping 2 down in one PCB, but its s step above slapping 2 PCB's together and shoving it in 1 slot. The 7900GTX2 had mega heat, and horrible drivers, from what I've read.

It all has to do with manufaturing and off-chip bandwidth.

One ugly non-scalable physical constraint is the number of pins on a chip, which is largely a function of chip surface area. A single multi-core chip with as much pin-bandwidth as two smaller chips will end up being as expensive in silicon real-estate as the dual-chip solution, but will have much lower manufacturing yields. Similar story with PCBs: you can only route so many wires from the GPU to the memory on a single PCB.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
This is the response I received from Asus Bok.

Will my Asus Commando P965 Motherboard be compatible with Graphic cards that use the PCI-E
Version 2.0 Specification?

What version PCI-E does the Asus commando have? (PCI-E 1.0, PCI-E 1.1a, or a PCI-E 2.0)

And if it is incompatible with PCI-E Version 2.0 then will Asus release a compatible BIOS, or will there
be an available fix to this problem? Any and all information related you can give me would be
appreciated.

Thanks for you time
-Stephen

The board supports first revision of PCI-E. PCI-E 2.0 is only compattible with the newest Intel Chipset.

Best Regards,

Rob
Level 3 Support Engineer
Asus Technology
Http://usa.asus.com
Phone: (812)-282-2787
RMA: (510)739-3777 opt. 2

Thank You for using our technical support deparment. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction from our valued customers. Please take just a moment to fill out our customer service survey. With these results we can improve our customer satisfaction and provide you with better service on your next call. Thank you for taking your time to complete this survey.
http://sip.asus.com/...7092785120.aspx

Im dissatisfied with there lack of answers to my questions.

Im still unsure at what level the 1.0 and 2.0 PCIE slots are incompatible. They will definitely require us to plug in a power connector unlike the people with 2.0 because 2.0 pushes about 150 Watts through the slot. SLI mode will not work with Intel chipsets. Other then that I am unsure... I just want to be able to plug a PCIE 2.0 card into a PCIE 16X 1.0 slot. The PCIE 16X bandwidth still has a lot of room to get filled in before it reaches its bandwidth limit.

Edited by WITHTEETH, 03 January 2008 - 02:31 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts
Wow Asus tech support is just as bad as those BFG liars.

On a side note, this is pure BS if it is true

http://enthusiast.ha...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Good thing Im patient, if I have to wait even longer to get a good graphic card I will.

I will not buy that monstrosity. Screw that double PCB design, give me a single PCB, smaller die shrink or nothing at all. I don't want heat, power or bad drivers. Im bitter now...

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wow Asus tech support is just as bad as those BFG liars.

On a side note, this is pure BS if it is true

http://enthusiast.ha...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

2 PCB's? And the suggested performance increase does not justify it either. The 8800GT or 3850HD (with crossfire) is the way to go at the moment.

Magister Lajciak

Magister Lajciak

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1647 posts
What is a PCB?

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
It's an acronym for "printed circuit board" and is the green/red/blue/brown thing on which the chips, condensators etc are soldered (?). That the GF9800GX2 comes on 2 PCBs basically means that this one "card" is actually two cards connected but using only one PCI-E interface, using power and producing head equivalent to a SLI setup. ATI's version is solved slightly better imo because it consists only of one PCB containing both GPUs.

Edited by samm, 15 January 2008 - 06:55 PM.

Magister Lajciak

Magister Lajciak

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1647 posts

It's an acronym for "printed circuit board" and is the green/red/blue/brown thing on which the chips, condensators etc are soldered (?). That the GF9800GX2 comes on 2 PCBs basically means that this one "card" is actually two cards connected but using only one PCI-E interface, using power and producing head equivalent to a SLI setup. ATI's version is solved slightly better imo because it consists only of one PCB containing both GPUs.

Thank you! So if I understand it correctly, the PCI-E interface connection means the two cards cannot communicate as effectively as if they were on the same board and the whole setup is thus slower.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hm, not quite, I put it a bit strange there. The two cards of the GF9800GX2 are not connected via PCI-E, but with some other connection between the two PCBs. This is not necessarily slower than if they were on the same PCB where they could communicate via some internal connection. This connected "bundle" of cards then is put into one PCI-E slot.
The ATI version doesnt take up so much space vertically and probably uses less power (but this remains to see) because it's only one PCB, and the heat dissipation should be better. These are the points where I think ATI did a better job than nVidia. This dual-chip card also uses one PCI-E slot.
Hope this claryfies it until the cards come out and we see what it all really means :sweat:

Edited by samm, 19 January 2008 - 09:07 AM.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
http://www.dailytech...rticle10397.htm

Early benchmark of a member of the ninth generation of GPU's. It sounds promising if this is just the mid-range card and it outscores the 8600 by 100%. The 9800 will probably be a monster..

Magister Lajciak

Magister Lajciak

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1647 posts

Hm, not quite, I put it a bit strange there. The two cards of the GF9800GX2 are not connected via PCI-E, but with some other connection between the two PCBs. This is not necessarily slower than if they were on the same PCB where they could communicate via some internal connection. This connected "bundle" of cards then is put into one PCI-E slot.
The ATI version doesnt take up so much space vertically and probably uses less power (but this remains to see) because it's only one PCB, and the heat dissipation should be better. These are the points where I think ATI did a better job than nVidia. This dual-chip card also uses one PCI-E slot.
Hope this claryfies it until the cards come out and we see what it all really means :shifty:

OK, this does explain it. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users