Best Graphics Cards at Present and in the Future

Magister Lajciak

9-series is suxxxxx

For the foreseeable future i agree. The 9800GTX2 looks crappy. Its basically 2 8800GTS's slapped together with added 10.1 support for around a 30% increase i read from HardOCP.

The 9600GT looks ok. Theres one at Club it now for $169 + Tax and shipping. For the most part its nothing new still. Thats why i caved in and bought a 8800GT. Its cheap and I can get a new one down the line. The 9800GTX comes out march right? That one im keeping an eye on.

Bok - when are you going to upgrade your CPU man?

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

So is it time to buy an 8800 yet, and if so, which one? (I got a new contract in)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So is it time to buy an 8800 yet, and if so, which one? (I got a new contract in)

You can get a 8800GT for 220 at Micro Center or you can get a 9600GT thats nearly as fast for 169 at Clubit. Those are a couple sweet spots. I personally bought a 8800GT

Myspace Website!

My rig

I wouldn't count on that yet. Yes, the 9600 is basically a cheaper 8X00 part with a misleading name. It's been compared to the Geforce 4 MX (which were cheap Geforce 3's in reality). But perhaps the 9800 is going to be the Geforce 4600 (the card that redeemed Nvidia's fourth generation) of this generation? As usual, time will tell.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Now that I have an account at Newegg, I'll be buying some hardware from them for my upcoming computer build. The HIS 3870 will be the card for my new machine. I'll get two of them and set it up for Crossfire.

Anyone have this yet?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Lucy, that looks like a very big card.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Lucy, that looks like a very big card.

A great card. Top of the line ATI card at the moment. If I get two of those and hook them up in Crossfire, I won't have to update my system for many years. They'll go great with this board.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Now, with the prices down, the 9600GT suddenly doesn't seem to bad a mainstream-card anymore, esp. when compared with the 8-series mainstream. The only complaint is, besides the cooler, the namechange to 9xxx while it doesn't offer anything new compared to the 8xxx.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I've been playing around with my grahic card lately. 8800GT factory overclocked at 650 and 950. Loaded BIOSHOCK up and got what looked like space invaders... ARTIFACTS!!!!

I put the card back the base standard for the 8800GT 600 and 900 and it runs fine again. I can't return it because i got it on Ebay... It was such a good deal, still is, as long as it doesn't do it anymore. I ran a stres test and it passed.

I wonder if there is a more effective way to cool it. I have a pci fan that has 2 fans blowing striaght on it, plus a 120mm fan to the right of the card for more airflow. The load temp is 61C idles at around 57C doesn't seem strange, although my last card ran MUCH cooler with the same setup.

Check sig for picture of my airflow. note, that is my old graphic card.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

I remember you having a 30in. monitor Bok. I am thinking of picking up a 30in. myself when I purchase the parts for a new computer.

How is gaming on a 30in monitor? Is it worth it or is it overkill?

Is anything overkill with you Bok? :thumbsup:

Of course, if you have a monitor that large, you'll have to sell your soul every time you want to get hardware capable of supporting the monstrous resolution. I'm not sure if that's worth it unless your have an endless source of moolah.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 3 weeks later...

The two in one card. Instead of crossfire with two cards, you can have this.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG