Hope for a new Shadowrun and Crimson Skies game?

Morgoth

I'm not familiar with Shadowrun or Mechwarrior, but Crimson Skies for the Xbox was a lot of fun. I always hoped for more.

>.> you scare me about Battletech/mechwarrior/mech aussalt and not knowing what they are.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm not familiar with Shadowrun, Mechwarrior or Crimson Skies. Do tell - I'm always interested in a previously unknown RPG (if it's any good). :thumbsup:

I know that shadowrun is a cyberpunk where magic has been rediscovered.

but Mechwarrior? MAN thats a big one for me.

Ok, Mechwarrior was actually a game (well Mech2 was) back in the early early 90's. essentially it was a predecessor to all the Silent Core games we have today. You ran around in a "Battlemech" and kicked the crap out of anything that got in your way. In the backround fiction you were taking part in the Refusal war between Clans Wolf and Jade Falcon (you could choose either side) and it was strictly a clan fight. Now later installments (Mercs and Ghost Bear's Legacy) started using the inner sphere mech designs in the games. Mech 3 was I believe during the Death of the smoke Jaguars clan, and Mech Four was during a period of civil war within the innersphere.

And half of you didn't understand a word of what I just said because you haven't seen the backround fiction at ALL. so heres a quick lesson. In this ficticious Future mankind has reached the stars through Jumpships that can project themselves 30 lightyears into the distance in a itty bitty amount of time. Recharging those suckers takes a LONG LONG time (between a week and about a month I believe). So mankind reaches stars and begins to colonize and from this colonization several great houses arise They form the star league and live in harmony until one guy kills the leader of the star league and takes the throne for himself. Alexandr Kerensky leads the Star League Self Defense Force against the usurper and ends up winning and promptly takes most of his forces and leaves known space (aka the Inner Sphere (it spans approx 500 light years in a sphere around terra)). These forces and their decendants would later become known as the Clans. Anywho the Innersphere promptly falls apart with each Great House fighting to take the throne on Terra for themselves. They go through a series of 4 succession wars and end up kicking each other so hard that they forget certain technologies, like the ones used to project themselves through space (thus Jumpships are considered untouchable as what they have is the most they'll have for a LONG time). Clans after a smaller period of civil infighting come back to the Inner Sphere to reestablish star league in their image. This fails because dispite their better tech the innersphere doesn't fight like they do (they mention in the fiction a line about a mongol invasion of japan and all the ranking officers in the japanese army dying because they'd come down and challenge their equal in the opposing army to a duel and promptly get filleted with 150 arrows)....

oh screw it, I'm gonna let this guy do the talking for me.

http://www.kerensky.ultraforce.org/index.html

ANOTHER CRIMSON SKIES?!

:thumbsup::o:woot:

*dies of joy*

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, they just did Shadowrun (butchered it, supposedly) so I'd think it's either Mechwarrior or Crimson Skies.

What the heck is Smith and Tinker? Do they develop pen and paper or video games? Or are they a toy company? It's a bit hard to tell on the website, which actually keeps locking up on me.

I'm not sure if we'll ever see a Mechwarrior game like the ones in the 90's. They were almost trying to be true simulators, like a realistic flight simulator. It was awesome, but I think they'll focus more on easy action in todays market.

the Silent Core games we have today

:huh:

*whooshing sound as this passes over Steve's head.*

*twanging sound as it hits a nearby tree*

(description)

Ermm, so, it's an RPG where you modify the big metal armour tank thing you walk around in, is that right? 'Cause it sounds more like an action-y shoot-y kill-y kind of thing to me... :o

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Mechwarrior 2 was fun.

But I still prefer Crimson Skies.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ermm, so, it's an RPG where you modify the big metal armour tank thing you walk around in, is that right? 'Cause it sounds more like an action-y shoot-y kill-y kind of thing to me... :grin:

No, it's a mech-sim game based on a tabletop RPG. And a damned fun mech-sim game too.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

the Silent Core games we have today

:)

*whooshing sound as this passes over Steve's head.*

*twanging sound as it hits a nearby tree*

(description)

Ermm, so, it's an RPG where you modify the big metal armour tank thing you walk around in, is that right? 'Cause it sounds more like an action-y shoot-y kill-y kind of thing to me... :grin:

essentially you drive walking tank known as a battlemech thats anywhere between 35-100 tons. It's got customizable weaponry but not parts, you choose a chassis and then pick your weapons up to the weight limit then you wreak havok upon the enemy mechs.

Xbox owners got to play mech aussalt which is MUCH MUCH dumber than the other games.

Hmm yeah, FASA was always very good at making backstories. I used to really love the Battletech universe. Shadowrun's fantasy-cyberpunk genre jam sounds a bit silly as concept, but they made it work. It really deserves a proper CRPG. I'm less familiar with Crimson Skies, but I played the computer game, which was pretty good, and I love airships.

SODOFF Steam group.

Hmm yeah, FASA was always very good at making backstories. I used to really love the Battletech universe. Shadowrun's fantasy-cyberpunk genre jam sounds a bit silly as concept, but they made it work. It really deserves a proper CRPG. I'm less familiar with Crimson Skies, but I played the computer game, which was pretty good, and I love airships.

The nice thing about Shadowrun, to my mind, was that you could take from it what you wanted and leave the rest. I always see it described as a fantasy-cyberpunk hybrid, and I suppose it is, but the games we ran way back when I was 13, and the online MUSHing I did in the system, always focused much more on the cyberpunk aspect rather than the fantasy stuff - of which there's not really all that much. Yeah, there's elves and orks and dwarves and trolls, and yeah, there's magic, but it's not exactly like it's medieval-era fantasy archetypes wandering around 2070s Seattle.

I really do wish someone else controlled the rights to that game, though. Always thought it's the most ideal system for an MMORPG ever created.

smith & tinker?

am too lazy to moby the named personages at smith & tinker, so can anybody tell us why it is a good/bad thing that these folks got mechwarrior and crimson skies?

getting shadowrun? is a bit like being the coverboy for madden football.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The nice thing about Shadowrun, to my mind, was that you could take from it what you wanted and leave the rest. I always see it described as a fantasy-cyberpunk hybrid, and I suppose it is, but the games we ran way back when I was 13, and the online MUSHing I did in the system, always focused much more on the cyberpunk aspect rather than the fantasy stuff - of which there's not really all that much. Yeah, there's elves and orks and dwarves and trolls, and yeah, there's magic, but it's not exactly like it's medieval-era fantasy archetypes wandering around 2070s Seattle.

I really do wish someone else controlled the rights to that game, though. Always thought it's the most ideal system for an MMORPG ever created.

Fantasy doesn't mean medieval. Once you start breaching into elves and magic, you're well into fantasy. You got off the bus and set up shop in fantasy.

It's the difference between the cliche and the archetype. The medieval world that looks back to LoTR for inspiration is the cliche.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

sidenote: anybody who wishes to compare and contrast sci-fi and fantasy deserves to be kicked in the temple by a spastic footballer wearing steel cleats.

don't do it. don't be that guy. sci-fi and fantasy genres were birthed by publishers o' pulp magazines some many decades ago as a simple way to tell folks whether they were getting conan and elves or robots and ray guns. is marketing nomenclature, not scientific definitions. give an elf a ray gun and you got sci-fantasy?

don't be that guy.

now, back on-topic... why is this good news or bad?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Heh, I'm never "that guy." I generally love it when they mix up stuff some think separate so I was being defensive. My players seemed to like the magic side of the game more, btw.

For the old Mechwarriors, the only one I really got into was 2 and it's expansions, especially Mercenaries. 3 was pretty good, but not as exciting... must have been the atmosphere. 4 seemed boring. I tried 1 once at friend's place, but never owned it.

SODOFF Steam group.

I hope Mech5, if it ever gets made, will return back to the true roots of Mech2 & 3's simulation game. 4 is damn too arcadey to its true spirit.

Agreed, I enjoyed 4, but 3 was suprerior. 4 did have the better mech customisation system though, the one in 3 was pretty stupid.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)