Game breaking crash on Onderon

Hey, I've been really enjoying this game so far and its so frustrating now that I can't go any further. I've got to Onderon and I every time I try to leave the starport area and go into the Merchant Quarter the game crashes and I get the 'Knights bla bla bla has encountered a problem and needs to close..' message. Has this happened to anyone else before?

It sucks, cause I can't progress with the game at all now. I can't leave Onderon and I can't leave the starport area. Thanks for your help :)

• 1 month later...

It does happen to others. I have this problem myself and know of at least one person. Just as you said the crash occurs when you leave the starport and the merchant quarter is loading. It doesn't matter if the game is patched to 1.0b or not, also the mods are not the problem. It appears that either some files in our particular versions are corrupted or it has something to do with the path you take in the game. Either way it's pretty annoying to have 33h of your life wasted just to see the error message.

• 2 months later...

Wonder what the chances are this painfully persistant bug will actually get addressed sometime before I die of old age. It's hard to contain my annoyance for things like this when Obsidian consistantly produces the same flawed and incomplete games as it is, without the added crashes. Fun during the parts that work properly, certainly, but always so very incomplete.

Yeah, it's mean to say, but really it's past the time when mistakes can be politely forgiven when there's no visible attempts to correct them. I mean honestly, it's taking the modder community just to finish developing this game properly. The least obsidian could do is provide fixes to the parts it actually got around to doing itself.

For anyone that's thought about non-script editing based fixes, like using the warp command to skip into the marketplace directly, or skipping into the cantina and coming back out in the hopes of bypassing the begining of the marketplace, it doesn't work. It's a script bug, one of many, based on your 20-30 hours of making your way to this point in the game, and I haven't been able to locate it yet.

That said, the only 'fixes' I've seen work properly is using a save from Duxn(or earlier) and trying again, or starting over entirely. As Wikary said, it isn't based on your version or mods(if any). You've quite literally said the wrong thing at the wrong time and gotten yourself stuck.

~Ayia~

• 2 weeks later...

From an fellow by the name of kepakiano (all credit goes to him):

i have a solution to a bug on knights of the old republic II. several users have complained that their game crashed, after they left onderon starport. i just had the same problem running the game on winXP, i left the starport and the game crashed, time after time. so i booted linux (kubuntu 7.10) and started the game using wine (version 0.9.59). i left the starport and the game did in fact not crash.
Please let me know if this works for you guys. I'll be sure to let kepakiano know too!

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

• 1 month later...
i have a solution to a bug on knights of the old republic II. several users have complained that their game crashed, after they left onderon starport. i just had the same problem running the game on winXP, i left the starport and the game crashed, time after time. so i booted linux (kubuntu 7.10) and started the game using wine (version 0.9.59). i left the starport and the game did in fact not crash.
Please let me know if this works for you guys. I'll be sure to let kepakiano know too!

Sorry for bringing back a months old topic, but I had this same problem a few days ago. Because I don't have Linux, I couldn't try kepakiano's idea, however, inspired by this idea, I copied my savegame just before the Merchant Quarter (at the Iziz Starport) to my Kotor2 install on my Vista Laptop (from a Xp Desktop PC) and tried it. And it worked! Copied back my savegame, saved at the start of the Merchant Quarter to my XP computer, and everything worked fine. Problem solved. Just wanted to let you guys know if you had this problem, this is a possible way to fix it.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for bringing back a months old topic, but I had this same problem a few days ago. Because I don't have Linux, I couldn't try kepakiano's idea, however, inspired by this idea, I copied my savegame just before the Merchant Quarter (at the Iziz Starport) to my Kotor2 install on my Vista Laptop (from a Xp Desktop PC) and tried it. And it worked! Copied back my savegame, saved at the start of the Merchant Quarter to my XP computer, and everything worked fine. Problem solved. Just wanted to let you guys know if you had this problem, this is a possible way to fix it.

I am working on finding the Saved files tonight... I need to try it on a different system and see if this will fix my problem! I have the same EXACT issue! I cannot get into hte marketplace. I have downgraded everything and it will not load!

X

• 4 months later...

For me the game crash when I return to the cantina after investigating the crime scene. I have reinstall the game but it does nothing, isn't there anyway of bypassing the quest by using the console ? or maybe just bypass some section of the quest?

Had the same issue, and it kept happening (with my save from that area), unless I used a save from when I was inside the cantina (before loading it up again). Do you have an alternative save nearby?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

My save is in the cantina, but i can exit - enter many time I want if I dont check the broken droid. I've try the auto-save that was set when I land on Onderon but it was the same bug with the cantina, now I uninstall it and cant reinstall anymore... the cd 4 if blowed I think it cant find a file... awesome lol ;)

My save is in the cantina, but i can exit - enter many time I want if I dont check the broken droid. I've try the auto-save that was set when I land on Onderon but it was the same bug with the cantina, now I uninstall it and cant reinstall anymore... the cd 4 if blowed I think it cant find a file... awesome lol ;)

Heh I just ran into a problem on Onderon yesterday, checked the forums and didn't see much that would help me with this particular issue... I had an issue where after checking the droid, I went back and talked with Kiph then went and talked to Nikko. During the automatic transition sequence, loading the Merchant Quarter, the game would appear to hang when the bar hit about 80%. It actually had crashed, but since the app is written to be on top, you don't see the error windows unless you hit Control-Alt-Delete and pull up task manager. I lost only about 5 minutes of game play, thankfully, and next saved the game right before talking with Nikko. Still the same problem, reload again, same problem, tried one more time, same problem. Now unfortunately, not sure which of these fixed the issue since I did two things at once. I rebooted my computer (#1), loaded that save game, then exited the Cantina and re-entered. I saved (to a new file), then talked with Nikko and things worked well. Not sure exactly if this is what you are seeing, but maybe it will help.

Oh, BTW, I am running Vista 64bit Premium, with a Quad Core Intel CPU, 4GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT adapter. It was hell getting the game to work, until going through the steps on this forum, thanks to all that have posted.

• 1 month later...

My problem is also related to Onderon - for those of you who actually made it to Onderon I say you are lucky.

After finishing the Sith Fight in the Mandalorian Camp I had the cut-scene, flying to Onderon with Mandalor... upon landing I was presented with the Party Select screen & my machine froze there.

I waited about 10 minutes, hoping it might sort itself out, but alas wasn't so lucky. I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to exit.

Upon reloading my last save (at the beginning of the Sith Fight) I found one Sith to kill & then nothing. I ran around collecting the 'Remains' of the sith (loot) & have been running around for hours ... no cut-scene ... no Onderon. I am doomed to wander the jungle of Dxun for eternity - as the Ebon Hawk will not take off due to Atton repairing her.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned 33 hours wasted - I have 64 hours & 45 minutes - and unless anyone (PLEASE) can suggest a way to 'force' the cut-scene, then that's as far as my KotOR II game will go.

I even tried reloading a MUCH earlier save - waaaay back in Telos Station - my character is level 11, Atton is a level 26 Jedi Sentinel & Kreia is also level 26, & the station is in the same state it was when I left Telos Station - plus, I have all my Inventory from my newest save, including the Nar Shaddar Dancing outfit & this is in Telos Station before I could even leave there.

So, to all those that actually made it to Onderon - you are lucky

Having to run a game on multiple platforms? That is too much. They should put on the package,"recommended that you have two of the three platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OSX". Also, a modder should come up with a custom class ,Geeksquad agent. They'd be immune to bugs and crashes.

@ 80% Loadscreen Crash Onderon Merchant Quarter / Iziz Cantina / Shyrack Cave:

Try disabling both soft shadows and frame buffer effects (both activated by default). Equipping a lightsaber may also solve the problem, but is not always an option. This bug apparently only occurs under WinXP / Vista with nVidia GF 8 series cards.

@ Condor:

ur screwd.

Edited by Andrei Gijgorev

inglisch not beeink native lankuich. no point flamink beecaus of missteycs.

From LouTenant at the TeamGizka forums: set texture detail to medium and Anisotropic Filtering\Anti-Aliasing to zero, and the crashes should go away. Seriously, I've had this problem times and again (see higher), but this should fix the crashes. It works here, at least.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem of crashes, I tried reducing the resolution, turning off anti-aliasing etc. to no avail.

I also tried warping into the next zone.. nothing.

Finally, the thing that worked was equipping a lightsaber....

GO FIGURE.

This needs to be fixed. A blemish on an otherwise perfect game... (I know its never going to happen...)

BTW I have played through this game 2 other times without encountering this problem. One of the other times was with the exact same computer....

The lightsaber trick definitely helps here. I had this crashing error for the very first time when I played as a guns character... before that I had only played lightsaber wielders.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody!

I just created an account specialy for this topic, because I know it's the kind of bug that make people very quickly crazy, including me.

So if I resume all the solutions I found until today on the Internet, we have:

• :down: Change your graphics options (resolution, soft shadows, AA, texture quality, anisotropy, etc)

But these solutions don't work everytime. After that, I read many people giving the next solution:

• :down: / :down: Equip your party member with a lightsaber

That's a good way, and it works very well... But there is some distracted guys in this world who forget to build their lightsaber before going on Onderon...

And for theses guys, here's my solution:

• :thumbsup: Equip your party member with the plasma torch!

I hope it will work fine for you too !

• 2 weeks later...
Wonder what the chances are this painfully persistant bug will actually get addressed sometime before I die of old age. It's hard to contain my annoyance for things like this when Obsidian consistantly produces the same flawed and incomplete games as it is, without the added crashes. Fun during the parts that work properly, certainly, but always so very incomplete.

Yeah, it's mean to say, but really it's past the time when mistakes can be politely forgiven when there's no visible attempts to correct them. I mean honestly, it's taking the modder community just to finish developing this game properly. The least obsidian could do is provide fixes to the parts it actually got around to doing itself.

For anyone that's thought about non-script editing based fixes, like using the warp command to skip into the marketplace directly, or skipping into the cantina and coming back out in the hopes of bypassing the begining of the marketplace, it doesn't work. It's a script bug, one of many, based on your 20-30 hours of making your way to this point in the game, and I haven't been able to locate it yet.

That said, the only 'fixes' I've seen work properly is using a save from Duxn(or earlier) and trying again, or starting over entirely. As Wikary said, it isn't based on your version or mods(if any). You've quite literally said the wrong thing at the wrong time and gotten yourself stuck.

~Ayia~

worked for me only registered to let you guys know that. the first time i used force pursuade on the guard at the entrance of the quarters merchant, the second time after i loaded an earlier save (from dxun) i didnt use force pursuade on him. and it WORKED! hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

I think I may have found an (almost) universal solution not only to persistent crashes problems, but also to another famous KOTOR bugs (slideshow Dantooine performance for example). You do not need to run the game on several platforms, disable soft shadows / frame buffer effects or messing with your party equipment or graphics settings. All you have to do is a little tampering with the configuration file.

Go to your KOTOR 2 folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Obsidian\KOTOR 2 or whatever...). There you will find a file named "swkotor2.ini". Open it in notepad and find the [Graphics Options] section. Just add:

DisableVertexBufferObjects=1

to this section of .ini file. It doesn't matter if you put it at the beginning of Graphics Options or at the end, just don't put it anywhere else. Next, fire up your KOTOR 2 game and voil

Edited by Jar_Jar_Binks
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I think I may have found an (almost) universal solution not only to persistent crashes problems, but also to another famous KOTOR bugs (slideshow Dantooine performance for example). You do not need to run the game on several platforms, disable soft shadows / frame buffer effects or messing with your party equipment or graphics settings. All you have to do is a little tampering with the configuration file.

Go to your KOTOR 2 folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Obsidian\KOTOR 2 or whatever...). There you will find a file named "swkotor2.ini". Open it in notepad and find the [Graphics Options] section. Just add:

DisableVertexBufferObjects=1

to this section of .ini file. It doesn't matter if you put it at the beginning of Graphics Options or at the end, just don't put it anywhere else. Next, fire up your KOTOR 2 game and voil

• 2 years later...

Kotor 2 Onderon crash is something i experienced a few times as well, it might work for some fo you,but surly not for everyone.

You gotta play with the graphic settings,if you expereience crash in an eara, load the save game and turn every graphic settings to the maximum excluding texture quality, go trough the nessecery parts and if it crashes agian an another area switch it to the lowest, back and forth, it works, back then when i had a weaker pc kotor 1 and 2's dantooine ALWAYS lagged-teared-slowed down etc., and with this little trick i made areas passable till i get trough.

Of course once you done with the desired area you can switch back to the grahp settings to your liking, only crash areas require this trick.