skiing

taks

oh my, oh my, oh my. while i cannot spend a whole lot of time skiing this season due to work/school/teaching, and i was quite depressed about the snow conditions to begin with... i'm stoked about what has been going on in the colorado mountains this week. wolf creek has over 5 feet of snow in the last week, and crested butte, where we're thinking about skiing for new year's, got THIRTY FREAKING INCHES LAST NIGHT ALONE! holy guacamole.

yay. :thumbsup:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

hehehe, people on the internets going outside and not just that physical activity. your crazy

But anyways, I used to ski a long time ago. I was pretty much a complete natural which was really odd considering I suck at everything. Then again it's not like it's rocket science. Hot dog or pizza. Then I found out the hard way that, that doesn't work in bastardized places such as new mexico WHERE THERES FREAKIN ICE EVERYWHRERE. Now snowboarding, that is ridiculously hard.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Well I suppose it's not ridiculously hard but you need good balance. Took me like 20 minutes to get down the bunny hill becuase every 10 feet I'd fall and it was pretty hard to get up. Then again I was like an awkward fat 14 yr old at the time so I'm sure I'd do immensely better now.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

One nice thing about S. Florida, you can go skiing year round! Of course, you need a boat to pull you.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I live in the southwest part of Finland, where the mean temperature is the same as London (= about 2 weeks of snow/year). I have to drive 400 km north in order to find some snow. I have to drive 1250 km to get to my favourite skiresort in Lapland. And i have no vacation in the nearest future either.

taks is a spoiled kid with all his snow...and stuff :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In many ways, snowboarding is more forgiving than skiing. Falling down is a natural part of the experience, and it's much easier to get back up. I'd also say it is easier to learn, although harder to master.

I can imagine falling while snowboarding being much nicer than falling while skiing. I can't imagine hitting yourself in the head with your own snowboard. A ski on the other hand... :)

I haven't been skiing for a few years now. It's not easy when you don't know anyone else that skis and have no transportation of your own. Hopefully this year will be different.

I don't know, I picked up skiing in one day and was reasonably proficient by the day's end, whereas the snowboarders never really got the hang of it. They'd just skittle down a few metres then fall on their butts. And I fell and rolled about fifty times, but never really had the skis trouble me. But then, I just jumped onto my side and rolled on purpose when it looked like I was going to lose control. :)

I love skiing, especially l

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm not a fan of hurtling down mountains. I climb up mountains, like the portly mountain goat I am.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ridiculously hard eh? :o

not if you already know how to surf... THAT is ridiculously hard to learn, particularly when you weigh 225 lbs. (240 now). :brows:

I don't know, I picked up skiing in one day and was reasonably proficient by the day's end, whereas the snowboarders never really got the hang of it.

people tend to think this, then they accidentally slide onto a black and realize that it will take a few more weeks to get things going. :cat:

taks

In many ways, snowboarding is more forgiving than skiing. Falling down is a natural part of the experience, and it's much easier to get back up. I'd also say it is easier to learn, although harder to master.

I can imagine falling while snowboarding being much nicer than falling while skiing. I can't imagine hitting yourself in the head with your own snowboard. A ski on the other hand... >_<

uh, well, actually, falling on a snowboard can be much more dangerous. skis come off to keep you from breaking a leg, boards don't. getting hit in the head with a ski is not where most injuries come from. usually they are from getting your skis tied up in a way that the bindings won't release and a broken leg results (oddly, most injuries i've witnessed were a result of going too slow). on a board, however, you tend to fall backwards which results in two major injuries: broken wrists and a cracked skull. the former is from putting your hands down to stop your fall, the latter is from the pendulum effect when you whip over backwards and your head hits the ground. helmets are considered a necessity for boarders, but most skiers do not wear one (i don't, not even in the glades).

taks

I can imagine falling while snowboarding being much nicer than falling while skiing. I can't imagine hitting yourself in the head with your own snowboard. A ski on the other hand... >_<

uh, well, actually, falling on a snowboard can be much more dangerous. skis come off to keep you from breaking a leg, boards don't. getting hit in the head with a ski is not where most injuries come from. usually they are from getting your skis tied up in a way that the bindings won't release and a broken leg results (oddly, most injuries i've witnessed were a result of going too slow). on a board, however, you tend to fall backwards which results in two major injuries: broken wrists and a cracked skull. the former is from putting your hands down to stop your fall, the latter is from the pendulum effect when you whip over backwards and your head hits the ground. helmets are considered a necessity for boarders, but most skiers do not wear one (i don't, not even in the glades).

taks

Never said that most injuries come from getting hit in the head with your own ski, just that I've done it to myself once or twice. >_<

You said that most injuries you witnessed were a result of going too slow. Why is that? Not enough force for the ski bindings to let go? The only injuries that I've actually seen have been from people losing control and skiing off the run and into a tree. I haven't been out in a few years and the only place near me doesn't exactly draw in a lot of boarders so I'll take your word for it on the snowboarding injuries.

Ridiculously hard eh? :o

not if you already know how to surf... THAT is ridiculously hard to learn, particularly when you weigh 225 lbs. (240 now). >_<

I don't know, I picked up skiing in one day and was reasonably proficient by the day's end, whereas the snowboarders never really got the hang of it.

people tend to think this, then they accidentally slide onto a black and realize that it will take a few more weeks to get things going. >_<

taks

Surfing is another thing I've wanted to try since moving to California. Then I saw a documentary of local surfers (in Hawaii I think) beating the snot out of someone for trespassing on their territory or breaking some rule or something.

I've been too scared to try ever since. :)

I suppose years of learning to fall down on my back will help me out with snowboarding though. Finally my various martial arts lessons will pay off. heh

You said that most injuries you witnessed were a result of going too slow. Why is that? Not enough force for the ski bindings to let go?

trying too hard to control your body when you should just let it go. when you're going fast, you have no choice but to do some dramatic wipeout and your skis will pop off immediately. going slow, however, you end up contorting your legs in a strange manner and in a way contrary to the way bindings work.

oh, i've never had a ski hit my head though i have had some dramatic wipeouts.

The only injuries that I've actually seen have been from people losing control and skiing off the run and into a tree. I haven't been out in a few years and the only place near me doesn't exactly draw in a lot of boarders so I'll take your word for it on the snowboarding injuries.

that happens usually only with people that are trying to ski outside their ability or otherwise distracted.

taks

The only injuries that I've actually seen have been from people losing control and skiing off the run and into a tree. I haven't been out in a few years and the only place near me doesn't exactly draw in a lot of boarders so I'll take your word for it on the snowboarding injuries.

that happens usually only with people that are trying to ski outside their ability or otherwise distracted.

taks

Yup. First time I went skiing with some friends. I remember watching one of them try to show off, seeing how fast he could go down the hill. He hadn't yet learned how to turn or stop very well. Went blasting down the hill. At the bottom of the run there wasn't nearly enough space for him to just coast to a stop before he went into the woods. Ended up running straight into a tree.

Surfing is another thing I've wanted to try since moving to California. Then I saw a documentary of local surfers (in Hawaii I think) beating the snot out of someone for trespassing on their territory or breaking some rule or something.

that's not really that big of a problem except in certain areas. i learned in melbourne, FL, and nobody is really all that territorial. also, the "territory" boundaries are usually county by county, so if you're attempting in the county you live in, you'll be fine (they look at your license plate).

I suppose years of learning to fall down on my back will help me out with snowboarding though. Finally my various martial arts lessons will pay off. heh

though i've never boarded, i think the problem is that your feet suddenly shoot forward and you naturally put your hands back to break your fall. if you don't, it's your tailbone and head, if you do, your wrists. that you know how to fall may be beneficial, however.

given that you have such training, then you also understand the problem of falling while tensed up. that's really what's happening when you're going slow and fall. your body is tense, and you end up trying to hold it back. when you're going fast and fall, and you can watch this with others, it's like being a ragdoll tossed around. it looks violent, but it's actually a safe way to fall (well, within limits, of course).

taks

I grew up in the New York not far from the Vermont border and have been skiing since I was seven. Although I love the mountains here (Stowe, Sugerbush, Smugglers Noch, Whiteface...) it's nothing to skiing out West. My best friend moved to Boulder our senior year in High School. Needless to say, for the next four years I proceeded to spend several weeks every winter visitng. Crested Butte, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge..they're all unbelievable. My one dissapointment so far is that I haven't made it out to Jackson Hole which everyone out there told me is the Mecca for skiers.

On a side note I have to disagree with the statement that skiing is harder to learn and easier to master than snowboarding. Having done both I would say that skiing is far easier to learn and but much more difficult to master. Whereas with snowboarding it took me several days to get the basics but by the end of the season I felt qutie comfortable.

Edited by Stewdawg24

"I'm god. I may not be 'The God', but I'm definately a god." - Ground Hog's Day

Visit: http://www.paulvomero.com/

Having done both I would say that skiing is far easier to learn and but much more difficult to master.

everyone i know that does both says the same thing. the learning curves are different, steeper for boarding, but it levels off quicker (less to learn overall).

taks