Women in Iran

Humodour

Heh. Agreed it's not exactly reliable. But during the revolution al sorts of weird stuff was going on. One of the White Russian groups on the British side tried electing tehir officers, and being 100% democratic, with the result that they never went on operations.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had read The Handmaid's Tale. They're re-running it on BBC7 radio, and I was reminded of how useful a dramatisation can be in bringing home emotional reality. I know Sand would love it.

Oh yes (and the radio adaptation, too). Every so often I hear some extremist religious nut speaking on the radio and a chill runs down my spine as I think of the Republic of Gilead, but I console myself with the thought that the overwhelming majority of Christians would find it as repugnant as I do.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Guest The Architect
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had read The Handmaid's Tale. They're re-running it on BBC7 radio, and I was reminded of how useful a dramatisation can be in bringing home emotional reality. I know Sand would love it.

Yeah I've read it. It has a sex scene in it! Which means it isn't crap.

The movie version of it I think is **** though.

i know someone who works with someone from Iran.

he said they were so poor there that people were paid to go out and lie that the US was all wicked and stuff.

hadnt talked with the guy for myself, hadnt seen him or met him for that matter......

but that is all a bunch of politics, and in its own right religious too, feed your family and loose your soul in the process.

i hate politics.

nothing against the Iranians though, they lie just like everyone else.

but some cultures just need to grow up and stop making the mistakes other cultures have already made.

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

The idea that women have no value in society and nothing to contribute other than as homemakers, wives and mothers is hardly restricted to Iran, or to the Muslim world.

Probably due the fact women do contribute nothing. :thumbsup:

Maybe so, they sure are the very inspiration on why men build things with creat craftmanship, tries to find a new frontier, and paint canvases and compose incredible music. Women choose (theoretically) their partners, and the one with greatest success will be allowed to mate with them.

If women would mate with hobos without second thought, we would never have left the jungle.

When looking at societies where women are submitted to cattle, like in countries like Iran, and see how they have progressed.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe so, they sure are the very inspiration on why men build things with creat craftmanship, tries to find a new frontier, and paint canvases and compose incredible music. Women choose (theoretically) their partners, and the one with greatest success will be allowed to mate with them.

Indeed, which is why Middle Eastern societies are not evolving. By subjugating women entirely, the males have no incentive to do anything.

That said, i'd say that the whole women's movement of the 50s (third wave feminism) pushed the balance to the other extreme. All feminists do this days is franchise women's greed, take advantage of the court systems for themselves and dump down society as a whole to the fabled 'kitchen' they so vehemently tried to struggle out of (or so they said. Personally, i don't believe them), which is why the west is folding so easily against Muslims. Schopenhauer once said that their liberal stance towards women was Sparta's undoing. He may have had a point.

Edited by Lyric Suite

Oh yes (and the radio adaptation, too). Every so often I hear some extremist religious nut speaking on the radio and a chill runs down my spine as I think of the Republic of Gilead, but I console myself with the thought that the overwhelming majority of Christians would find it as repugnant as I do.

Funny thing. You spoke to the majority of whites under apartheid they found it repugnant. It doesn't take everyone to enforce evil.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.