Women in Iran

Humodour

http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Cultu...=1.0.1613494695

The word 'women' must now be replaced on Iranian state television by 'family', reformist Norouz news agency reports.

In programmes broadcast throughout the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against women last Sunday, Iranian state TV used the world family instead.

What do you think? I had a look at Google news and could find no other sources for this news piece. I hope it isn't true, but given the other articles I saw instead, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Krezack

A lot of Islamic countries treat women very very very poorly. Its not be3cause of Islam itself, but the culture it sits in.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So now even saying "woman" is bad?

What the hell?!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

In Afgahnistan women were treated even worse. Until about six years ago. Hmmm, I wonder when Yushaa is going to get here.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A lot of Islamic countries treat women very very very poorly. Its not be3cause of Islam itself, but the culture it sits in.

Interesting. I never stated it was, but since you've brought it up, do you care to justify that? I was under the impression it was actually because of literal interpretation of Sharia law.

Edited by Krezack

Shari'ah varies from country to country, and it's often based on very different interpretations of the Qu'ran. Like the bible, the Qu'ran can be interpreted in many different ways, and unfortunately many leaders of Muslim countries have twisted the interpretations to suppress women's rights. The Qu'ran is actually pretty specific about the fact that men and women should be equal, but that doesn't stop certain groups from ignoring that and clinging onto other passages as proof women should be hidden away.

Shari'ah varies from country to country, and it's often based on very different interpretations of the Qu'ran. Like the bible, the Qu'ran can be interpreted in many different ways, and unfortunately many leaders of Muslim countries have twisted the interpretations to suppress women's rights. The Qu'ran is actually pretty specific about the fact that men and women should be equal, but that doesn't stop certain groups from ignoring that and clinging onto other passages as proof women should be hidden away.

Agreed. Iran, for example, is perfectly willing to have women in University, and will even sponsor academics abroad, whereas the Talibs throw battery acid at little girls who go to school. There are variations, mon amis.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Not true. The Quran allows a man to beat his wife.

Is this going to be another of our amazing circular debates, or are we going to be more interesting? has anyone eher actually been to Iran or is Iranian? Or a woman? :sorcerer:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Is this going to be another of our amazing circular debates, or are we going to be more interesting? has anyone eher actually been to Iran or is Iranian? Or a woman? :sorcerer:

Need we be women to defend women's rights?

I was actually hoping that people who have been under Sharia law (as a tourist perhaps) or live in a country with Sharia law could comment on the degree of rights abuse re women. For example in Indonesia (where Sharia law is only recent, and more controlled) compared to Iran

Edited by Krezack

The idea that women have no value in society and nothing to contribute other than as homemakers, wives and mothers is hardly restricted to Iran, or to the Muslim world.

No, and in the past nearly every (if not every) country had that mindset. How far along are countries like Iran in terms of suffrage and equality for women? Is it getting better, worse or remaining the same compared to 50 years ago, what about 100?

Is this going to be another of our amazing circular debates, or are we going to be more interesting? has anyone eher actually been to Iran or is Iranian? Or a woman? :ermm:

I was a woman for a while. But, then they put me back on my medication. :sorcerer:

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That is very fiercely disputed.

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great." Qur'an 4:34

Sounds like perfect equality to me.

Having lived in a conservative society that frowns on miniskirts, bared shoulders etc and Western countries, I'd say the conservatives need to grow up. Hardly being virtuous and more moralistic, they're the ones that catwhistle, make lewd comments, generally be asshats about the women. In the West and Japan, ladies have freedom to do and wear what they want and are actually treated much better and with respect.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I like to know a bit about the sources of news, so I did a quick search.

This news service appears to produce alot of critical reports about Iran.

I couldn't find out much about them in a short time other than that they are based in Italy but do considerable reporting on the middle east. I might need to read italian to really figure them out.

It is interesting that their web sites are .com rather than something european.

Here's what they say about themselves

ADNKRONOS GROUP - GMC GIUSEPPE MARRA COMMUNICATIONS S.p.A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AdnKronos Group - which operates in the field of information and communication in Italy - is developed around the News Agency which still represents its core business. By diversifying the activities, other structures have been added that successfully operate in the publishing and communications sectors.

The AdnKronos Group has 350 employees and numerous outside contributors. The central structures (Head Office, Finance & Control, Sales & Marketing, Technical Services) as well as the operating structures (News Agency, Communications, Audiovisuals, Publishing House - traditional and new media, Health News Agency, Press Release Distribution Company, AKI-AdnKronos International) are characterized by a high professionalism and great operating flexibility.

Special attention is focused on technological innovation and international topics. Teams of professionals in the specific sectors study, evaluate and test new interactive and relational communication techniques, in cooperation with major Italian and foreign companies.

AdnKronos has always stood out for its international collaboration efforts. All its structures dialogue and interact with prestigious partners in the information, communications and commercial sectors in every continent of the world.

The AdnKronos products and services mirror the business strategy of integrated communications that is sparked by news but then goes through all the information and communications processes all the way to the most advanced techniques of consensus aggregation. This has enabled AdnKronos to establish itself as the reliable point of reference within the framework of multimedia information, publishing and communications systems.

The AdnKronos Group is on the Internet with its site ITALY GLOBAL NATION, providing real-time information, among the others, to the Italian media and communities abroad. The site, that counts an average of more than one million hits per day, is at the address http://www.adnkronos.com/

The last company created in the AdnKronos Group in 2003, AKI-AdnKronos International, is an international multimedial news agency that provides text, audio and video news in the Italian, English and Arab languages, focused on the Middle and Far East areas. AKI's site is at the address www.adnki.com and www.akicrisestoday.com

exec.: MARRA Giuseppe Pasquale , chmn. and editor-in-chief AdnKronos S.p.A. (News Agency), chmn. AdnKronos Salute S.p.A., AdnKronos International S.r.l., Mak Multimedia S.p.A., AdnKronos Libri, and GMC Giuseppe Marra Communications S.p.A.

CICATIELLO Massimo (Dott.), executive dir. AdnKronos Comunicazione S.p.A. (Communications and Audiovisuals services and products), CEO of AdnKronos Cultura, and chmn. AdnKronos Nord-Est S.r.l.

MARCOZZI Massimo (Dott.), CEO of AdnKronos Comunicazione S.p.A. and GMC Giuseppe Marra Communications S.p.A.

CASTELLI Giulio , CEO of MAK - Multimedia AdnKronos (Multimedia Company)

REPETTO Daniele , editorial mgr. AdnKronos Group

a.: Piazza Mastai 9, I-00153 Roma

tel.: (+39) 0658071

fax: (+39) 065807815

Internet: http://www.adnkronos.com/

http://www.museionline.com/

http://www.immedia.it/

http://www.adnki.com/

http://www.akicrisestoday.com/

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Is this going to be another of our amazing circular debates, or are we going to be more interesting? has anyone eher actually been to Iran or is Iranian? Or a woman? :)

I was a woman for a while. But, then they put me back on my medication. :lol:

Interesting fact: I have a johnson but two X chromosomes due to mad scientists.

Edited by Aram

The bottomline is that everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, and whatnot should be treated equally and without prejudice, but a lot of prejudice is derived from many religious beliefs. In some parts of the orld these religious beliefs are forced on others by those who don't give a rat's ass about what is right and good. Islam or Iran is not the only ones in that boat.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The apostle Paul: "Let the women keep silence in the churches; for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection"

11 Corinthians 14:34f

This is what the Christians use to claim that women, according to the bible, should not speak in public.

However you put it, taking either the bible or the koran literally on all issues, which is the definition of a fundamentalist, is mostly entirely incompatible with modern life.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The apostle Paul: "Let the women keep silence in the churches; for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection"

11 Corinthians 14:34f

This is what the Christians use to claim that women, according to the bible, should not speak in public.

However you put it, taking either the bible or the koran literally on all issues, which is the definition of a fundamentalist, is mostly entirely incompatible with modern life.

However, there is no country in the world with its legal code based upon a strict, literal interpretation of the bible. So in this case all we have is a book that says silly things, not a ludicrously unjust legal guideline.

The bottomline is that everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, and whatnot should be treated equally and without prejudice, but a lot of prejudice is derived from many religious beliefs. In some parts of the orld these religious beliefs are forced on others by those who don't give a rat's ass about what is right and good. Islam or Iran is not the only ones in that boat.

...And plenty comes from science. People are prejudiced because they're weak or scared, lazy, or all three. How they justify the prejudice is just the wallpaper on the house.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had read The Handmaid's Tale. They're re-running it on BBC7 radio, and I was reminded of how useful a dramatisation can be in bringing home emotional reality. I know Sand would love it.

-Elwood Blues

The sad truth may be that the enslavement of women through a 'gilded cage' of protection and/or enlightenment is not isolated to religious fervour. Viz this historical archive piece detailing the 'nationalisation' of women under Russian revolutionaries in 1918:

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1z05NorthRussia.htm#6

-Elwood Blues

The sad truth may be that the enslavement of women through a 'gilded cage' of protection and/or enlightenment is not isolated to religious fervour. Viz this historical archive piece detailing the 'nationalisation' of women under Russian revolutionaries in 1918:

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1z05NorthRussia.htm#6

"BOLSHEVIK PRESS MESSAGE", lol, please.