The Battlestar Galactica Thread

Gorth

They might all be stuck in some Philip K. ****'ish/gnostic timeloop. Where it's really 2000 years ago, but time is an illusion and things don't happen again - they just relive lifetimes simultaneously.

That would be funky.

Fortune favors the bald.

I think it may be that Edward James Olmos will snowboard over a sharktank in the next episode.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's not going to be aliens (as in little green men), and the humans aren't secretly all Cylons.

So it's... something else!. Well, that's not very helpful.

Well it doesn't rule out something divine, much as that would probably piss me off. I don't think they'll do that, though; it's literally a deus ex machina, which doesn't fly too well in a show about what it means to be human.

But so far, Cavill looks like a generic bad guy. I wonder how they'll play that. I dunno, it seems far too black and white for Mr. Moore. Although the show does need to be wrapped up so maybe past style is no longer an indicator.

No, by 'something else' I meant Cylons/humans from the past, or their relatives. What exactly were the Lords of Kobol? It seems like only one of them was a Cylon, so does that mean the rest were just normal humans?

I'm just taking it as it comes. I forget most of BSG, so I am not as worked up about it as Kaftan.

Yeah, but thats just a buch of old toasters. They shouldnt have any significant impact on the main conflict.

And Razor did establish that the hybrids were invented during the first human-cylon war, right? It'll be fun to see if they stick to that.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

After watching last night it occurs to me that the humans of the 12 colonies are such a whiny, fractious, and contentious lot that they are incapable of acting in their own self interest. Maybe they are not worth saving.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hurry up and let Tom Bombadil take his merry band of whiny civilians off into space without any military backup. I'm sick of seeing them.

Episode sucked. Best bit was Saul and Six discussing their baby.

It was kind of a filler, but I have to say that if i was in that fleet I wouldnt let no smelly skinjob fiddle with my FTL drive either. They may act all friendly now, but whos to say it isnt just all a giant flytrap?

Is that link supposed to have something to do with aliens?

No. It has to do with the 'third party' which was mentioned earlier which you were skeptical of. I just quoted the wrong post by you.

So, what of it? What are the virtual beings, Dan, if not aliens (and obviously not Cylon or human)?

Why are we talking about a third party? This is something one of you dreamt up, the show is very clear on the "us against them and no one else involved" thing.

Why are we talking about a third party? This is something one of you dreamt up, the show is very clear on the "us against them and no one else involved" thing.

No, it really isn't.

The constant allusions to the Lords of Kobol, God(s), mysticism, and all the virtual beings don't paint that picture at all.

Of course the us vs. them theme is prevalent but if they were aiming for that exclusively, they've been failing miserably for a whole 4 seasons now. I sincerely hope they're not going to try and retcon half the story away just to keep viewers like you happy. :)

No. It has to do with the 'third party' which was mentioned earlier which you were skeptical of.

I'm not skeptical of third parties, I'm skeptical of third parties that aren't Human or Cylon.

As for the Virtual Beings, perhaps they'll introduce the Beings of Light from the old series, and all this time they've been secretly watching over both humans and cylons, and the virtual beings are how they interfere. Perhaps they'll be aliens like in the original series, or perhaps they'll be an advanced group of humans or cylons. There is nothing to suggest that the Virtual Beings are obviously not human or cylon. Simply saying "aliens" doesn't make for interesting speculation. How did Kara survive? Aliens. How did the five get to the colonies? Aliens.

As for the us versus them thing, there has never been one groups of humans versus one group of cylons. From the very beginning you have the Galactica leading civilians away from a war they've lost, and the Pegasus killing any civilians who stood in the way of their attempt to win the war. There have always been many different groups, making alliances or fighting amongst one another, human versus cylon, cylon versus cylon, human versus human. But there has never been anything to suggest there is some other group (or groups) out there that aren't either human or cylon.

One theory regarding Earth, is that in their war between cylons and humans, it was the humans who lost and eventually came back and nuked the planet, and perhaps this group of humans is still out there. Or maybe aliens did it.

No. It has to do with the 'third party' which was mentioned earlier which you were skeptical of.

I'm not skeptical of third parties, I'm skeptical of third parties that aren't Human or Cylon.

As for the Virtual Beings, perhaps they'll introduce the Beings of Light from the old series, and all this time they've been secretly watching over both humans and cylons, and the virtual beings are how they interfere. Perhaps they'll be aliens like in the original series, or perhaps they'll be an advanced group of humans or cylons. There is nothing to suggest that the Virtual Beings are obviously not human or cylon. Simply saying "aliens" doesn't make for interesting speculation. How did Kara survive? Aliens. How did the five get to the colonies? Aliens.

As for the us versus them thing, there has never been one groups of humans versus one group of cylons. From the very beginning you have the Galactica leading civilians away from a war they've lost, and the Pegasus killing any civilians who stood in the way of their attempt to win the war. There have always been many different groups, making alliances or fighting amongst one another, human versus cylon, cylon versus cylon, human versus human. But there has never been anything to suggest there is some other group (or groups) out there that aren't either human or cylon.

One theory regarding Earth, is that in their war between cylons and humans, it was the humans who lost and eventually came back and nuked the planet, and perhaps this group of humans is still out there. Or maybe aliens did it.

Well, we've been handed two very important clues with last week's ep.

With Ellen's words " Saul... Everythings in place, we will be reborn together." This may explain where the Final Five came from & who made a copy of Starbuck. This is *Something Else #1*...

*Something Else #2* : the big question, who or what nuked *Earth* ???? It clearly was not Ellen's group...

Hmmmmmmm........

Edited by howling1

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

Maybe the final five aren't Cylons at all, but genetically enhanced humans who could accept a downloaded consciousness?

I mean, they age, they were created before humanoid Cylons, they can reproduce like normal humans, and they aren't susceptible to radiation or that Cylon disease.

Perhaps the people (Cylon or otherwise) who built those funky temples and wrote those prophecies were actually acting deliberately with knowledge of the five and their creation (and they obviously added extra programming to them, e.g. activate, home in on Kara's ship's beacon - which means THEY resurrected Kara and she's a Cylon, which fits because she's a sixth but was made AFTER the final five prophecies were told). Maybe they built them to stop any future war between Cylons and humans (and failed because of the sketchy nature of the whole thing - or perhaps they were only meant to stop total annihilation).

As for the mysticism - it's not hard at all for humans to make mundane anecdotes or technical specifications mythical. :) Look at the Church of Scientology or the Viking Sagas.

The Cylon dog raiders obviously knew they weren't humans but didn't automatically detect them as Cylon, either.

Edit: There's plenty of gaps to fill here, but it's actually fairly self-consistent IMHO. Time travel would help, but I'm kind of hoping they avoid that.

Edited by Krezack

Maybe the final five aren't Cylons at all, but genetically enhanced humans who could accept a downloaded consciousness?

I mean, they age, they were created before humanoid Cylons, they can reproduce like normal humans, and they aren't susceptible to radiation or that Cylon disease.

Perhaps the people (Cylon or otherwise) who built those funky temples and wrote those prophecies were actually acting deliberately with knowledge of the five and their creation (and they obviously added extra programming to them, e.g. activate, home in on Kara's ship's beacon - which means THEY resurrected Kara and she's a Cylon, which fits because she's a sixth but was made AFTER the final five prophecies were told). Maybe they built them to stop any future war between Cylons and humans (and failed because of the sketchy nature of the whole thing - or perhaps they were only meant to stop total annihilation).

As for the mysticism - it's not hard at all for humans to make mundane anecdotes or technical specifications mythical. Look at the Church of Scientology or the Viking Sagas.

The Cylon dog raiders obviously knew they weren't humans but didn't automatically detect them as Cylon, either.

Edit: There's plenty of gaps to fill here, but it's actually fairly self-consistent IMHO. Time travel would help, but I'm kind of hoping they avoid that.

Interesting theory - We know the The Final Five are/were unique - there weren't hundreds of copies, we saw that on Earth. While it's the opposite with the "regular" Cylons. So there's obviously something fundementally different about the "Earth Faction" - especially given that Saul could impregnate Six and that they age.

I think the idea that they are like a cross between Humans and Cylons are quite probable - something like Baltar and Six's child. The "legacy" of the first human/cylon war.

Fortune favors the bald.

Interesting theory - We know the The Final Five are/were unique - there weren't hundreds of copies, we saw that on Earth. While it's the opposite with the "regular" Cylons. So there's obviously something fundementally different about the "Earth Faction" - especially given that Saul could impregnate Six and that they age.

I think the idea that they are like a cross between Humans and Cylons are quite probable - something like Baltar and Six's child. The "legacy" of the first human/cylon war.

But all the Cylons that lived on Earth were different 'models', too (and as far as we know, the same as the final five, just not reborn), so how many human/cylon wars are we talking about? :) I think there's actually been three. Remember the 12 tribes made the 13th tribe leave (and then most likely bombed their new colony, Earth), so that was probably the first war.

But all the Cylons that lived on Earth were different 'models', too (and as far as we know, the same as the final five, just not reborn), so how many human/cylon wars are we talking about? :) I think there's actually been three. Remember the 12 tribes made the 13th tribe leave (and then most likely bombed their new colony, Earth), so that was probably the first war.

I knew just saying "Cylons" would cause confusion - sorry I wasn't clear. I was trying to point of the difference between the Cylons we first encountered - the numbered kind - and the Earth Kind. So I'm gonna refer them as "Numbers" and "Terrans" from now on just to avoid confusing myself. ;)

But I was just openly wondering why the Terrans were individual in their design, while the Numbers were clones.

Actually I just had a crazy idea..

Maybe it's like a modern Philip K. **** interpretation of the Old Testamente.. It's actually still 2000 years ago and the whole repitition is actually just because they are stuck in an gnostic illusion by the demiurge (Lords of Kobold or maybe the Cylon God).

Fortune favors the bald.

Rubbish! They're all frakkin skinjobs out to get us all! Especially Starbuck.