The Battlestar Galactica Thread

Gorth

I think that's a bit of a jumpy conclusion. There's speculation and then there's fantasy. Destroying the hub isn't a mistake, it's more likely that things simply won't go as planned. As is already appearing quite evident by how the last episode ended. Things such as the alliance breaking (the Cylons just "kidnapped" the president, the humans just "assassinated" the Cylon leader) could lead to their destruction.

It's funny those two things happened, really. I suspect in the end because both sides fubar'd, it will actually lead to an alliance, whereas if just one side ****ed up, it would be impossible.

I dunno. They love character flaws for this show. So, giving them an opportunity to all return to be stubborn seems like something they'd do.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The guy who plays Lee Adama is a pretty awful actor.

He's also British...

I wouldn't say he's awful but he's one of those on the bottom when it comes to acting on this show. Where Jamie Bamber has been constant since the beginning of the series, actors like Tahmoh Penikett, Grace Park and Aaron Douglas have really evolved and are much better actors now. Douglas, in particular, has been very impressive in the last few episodes.

I am sadding that Natalie died, though. Although it was a very human death, I suppose? Looks like she was hallucinating at the end, and in a similar way to the 'ship' hallucination of Roslin's cancer friend.

Also, wtf @ rebel ship being destroyed. Obviously there is more to it. Hmmm, what?

Another good episode. Is it just me or is death a recurring theme in BSG these days? I have this vague suspicion that Natalie may yet be back, and that death is a core theme in these episodes, given that facing death has created the cylon civil war. And note how number three, D'anna, that the rebel cylons are trying to free "experimented" with death before she was boxed. I doubt that's a coincidence.

This seemed very much a "what do we do now"-kind of episode, where the fleet is struggling with the aftermath of the presumed allied basestar jumping away with Roslin, Helo and a bunch of others. I guess we're left in the dark about what became of them because the episode is all about the uncertainty and doubt that follows in the fleet, and we can't connect to that if we know more than Adama and the others left behind do.

Clearly something seemed to have destroyed the hub, and there were vipers in the debris, so some kind of battle did take place. I wouldn't be surprised if the next episode then goes back and tells us what happened there.

I liked the showdown between Adama and Tigh. They fight hard, but eventually end up embracing each other, as they realise their similar problems. It was nice to see both of them angry at the other for exactly things about themselves that they did not like to admit and then ended up confronting.

Lambkin was back. Yeah. Oddly Gaeta was absent despite the growing focus on him in recent episodes. Adama staying behind was a surprise. From the end of one episode to the end of the next, the fleet has gone from being led by Adama and Roslin to being led by a cylon and a fairly inexperienced and idealistic president... Hands up all who think that's going to be the cause of trouble :):shifty:

But all in all a good, solid plot-building episode of character growth. I expect the plot to really move forward soon, though.

Now I just know Ros is the last.

I laughed so hard at that bit - Moore really is messing with us :lol:

And of course, we're now left wondering whether D'Anna was overstating her point by suggesting something that is not true or something that is :shifty:

Lots of good points this time. It finally reached the climax that has been evolving for a number of episodes with nice eye-candy for those who want the big space battles. That should quell the crowd wanting "bang for their bucks" for a while.

Of course, the episode was told un-chronologically compared to the last episode, but I actually expected that since it worked dramatically that Galactica could find only the aftermath of the battle in the last episode. The timetable does seem to suggest a bit of a plothole, though - last episode was all about what the fleet did when Roslin and the cylons were missing. Galactica jumped to the hub and saw the aftermath, then jumped back, had some plots evolving, then left Adama behind. In this episode we're told that after the battle the basestar jumps straight to the fleet as fast as possible and finds Adama. But that doesn't seem to add up... We know the cylons have better jump-capability, so how can Galactica jump to the battlesite AFTER the basestar has left, jump back, have lots of stuff going on, leave with the fleet, and only after all that does the basestar find its way to where the fleet was? I would have expected the basestar spending time repairing the jump system or hiding from pursuing basestars or some such, but nope, none of that... Smells like plothole to me. Maybe I missed something...

There was more here than the predictable battle, though. I was noteworthy seeing that the basestar jumped away not because the hybrid was in shock, but because she realised Natalie's death. That the cylons did not turn on the humans in anger undermines both Roslin's attempts to justify humanity's survival, given that she immediately plots against the cylons by preventing them access to D'Anna.

Baltar's confession was also surprising. Naturally it had to come out sooner or later, but I like how he confession was used to illustrate how cold-hearted and cynical Roslin has become, even to the point of her realising it herself and giving her pause. I suspect we'll see a relationship between Adama and Roslin now, since they've both cast off their duties as leaders and are now free to admit to their feelings. Indeed, Adama already did, when he told Apollo he would stay behind because he couldn't live without Roslin. I guess all of the "love somebody" talk suggests the same for Roslin in that she will finally let someone into her heart. Fine by me, as long as it doesn't get too mushy.

Great GREAT fracking episode!

This show is just too damn good.

Jediphile: Stop nitpicking!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Exploring mortality is one of the more interesting turns the show has taken for a while. When thinking back on how Cylons were in the first 3 season, now they have really become deeper and more interesting characters as a whole. I look forward to seeing what mortality will bring them. Though I fear it won't be that pleasent.

Fortune favors the bald.

Exploring mortality is one of the more interesting turns the show has taken for a while. When thinking back on how Cylons were in the first 3 season, now they have really become deeper and more interesting characters as a whole. I look forward to seeing what mortality will bring them. Though I fear it won't be that pleasent.

How many cylon "characters" are left? Deanna, Boomer, Cavil, Leoban (where did he disappear to?), and Athena if you're counting those playing for the other team. Sans the final 5, of course. Oh yeah, Caprica is still in her cell on Galactica.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

so how long it takes for Battlestar Galactica to end so I can start to collect DVD's and enjoy the series in one biiig marathon?

I've only seen half of the very first season and of course the minimovie that starts it all

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

so how long it takes for Battlestar Galactica to end so I can start to collect DVD's and enjoy the series in one biiig marathon?

I've only seen half of the very first season and of course the minimovie that starts it all

IIRC, the current fourth season is going to be last one with 22 episodes. However, they did not get to shoot them all before the writers' strike, and there was some concern they might not be able to finish them all. Not sure if that is settled.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796608...mp;cs=1&p=0

So... one episode left before the year-long break?

Sounds about right ;)

ANOTHER YEAR???

But... but... it's a half season!? And they finished shooting at least 20 episodes already. Why don't they just finish it? And why the heck another year for a hiatus?!

That's just horrible.

:shifty:

EDIT: wait a minute... those articles are ooold. A year old...

Edited by astr0creep

The articles are old, yes. But unfortunately it doesn't change anything. A big part of the problem lies with the writers' strike, because the episodes we're seeing now are those they shot before it struck in november, at which point a portion of the crew was laid off or suspended, and there was fear the last episodes would never be shot and show would never be finished.

Under that threat, I'm relieved the show will at the very least be finished, even if I have have to wait half a year for that to happen, though that - of course - still sucks...

See Ron Moore's blog entry in november for info on this: http://www.rondmoore.com/Site/Blog/Entries...tica_wraps.html

Edited by Jediphile

Some thoughts:

So the fifth Cylon isn't on the fleet? But didn't Moore say it was? I guess that means it's on Earth.

The final four were pretty lame. Besides being useless, they didn't even play much of a role in finding Earth - I mean is that it? Are they just sacks of meat now?

Seems like blowing up the resurrection ship was part of an attempt to not have to deal with whether or not the final five can resurrect.

Looks like it's setting it up for the Fifth Cylon to be pulling the strings of both races.

And what about the Evil Cylons?

Edited by Krezack

Some thoughts:

So the fifth Cylon isn't on the fleet? But didn't Moore say it was? I guess that means it's on Earth.

Fairly certain the last cylon is in the fleet too, we just don't know who it is yet.

The final four were pretty lame. Besides being useless, they didn't even play much of a role in finding Earth - I mean is that it? Are they just sacks of meat now?

What are you talking about? They were instrumental in helping Starbuck realise how to find Earth.

Seems like blowing up the resurrection ship was part of an attempt to not have to deal with whether or not the final five can resurrect.

No, it was to force the cylons to confront the concept of mortality. When they did, they became very similar to humans indeed. Besides, the final five can't resurrect, as it would make no sense - how can there cloned bodies for them, if the known seven don't even know who they are?

Looks like it's setting it up for the Fifth Cylon to be pulling the strings of both races.

And what about the Evil Cylons?

Still ten episodes left - it's not over yet. Waiting for them will be the challenge of patience indeed.

The story is a real mess, but at least it's mostly free of the prophecy shtick now. Whats left is revealing who sent Kara back, I think the last episodes will revolve around this third force, no way it's 'God'. I think there will be a surviving human colony somewhere as well, just not so huge that it throws the power balance in favor of the fleet.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.