The Battlestar Galactica Thread

Gorth

I just realized Helo is Darius from Need For Speed: Carbon :(

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I think the series' problem arises from different desires between the producers and the viewers. They've stated they wanted to make it very "episodic." IE, each episode a self contained story. We see a lot of that when the viewership starts dropping down. The series gets into these dramatic character stories that are self-contained and don't propel the overall arch or series along. This is what the producers wanted for the show. This doesn't seem to be what the viewers want. They want Galactic and the Cylons. They want that particular story to grow and change.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Ron Moore has always said, as far back as day 1 IIRC, that he wanted Battlestar Galactica to be a drama first and foremost and a science fiction show a distant second (or third). I think the show has been very consistent with that vision.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ron Moore has always said, as far back as day 1 IIRC, that he wanted Battlestar Galactica to be a drama first and foremost and a science fiction show a distant second (or third). I think the show has been very consistent with that vision.

Fine with me. I just want them to finish the series properly :thumbsup:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It's not all doom and gloom.

http://au.tv.ign.com/articles/833/833633p2.html

:thumbsup:

Here's to hope.

And, as I always do, after I finish watching something, I usually head over to IMDB for a little light reading on whatever I just watched. Well, to my surprise, NONE of the reviews are positive for this show. Why? I love it. I couldn't stop watching it. One episode would end, and I would have to start another. Is the original series really THAT much better?

I dont think it has anything to do with the original series. BSG when it started had almost universal acclaim. The first season, as well as a big chunk of the second season was a masterpiece. It was heavily serialized, the plotlines were rich and woven together, there was a strong atmosphere of survival and tension.

Somewhere in the second season, the whole thing turned into ****. Lots of absolutely boring, self contained stand alone episodes, lots of decent characters killed off with no new ones being introduced, the same characters with the same issues (normally inane love stories) again and again, skipping time which ruined the survival feel and tension of the series, budget cuts led to the removal or skipping of space battles and so on.

I think with you it was a case of the sheer awesomeness of the beginning of the series that might have propelled you through the later parts without noticing that the quality had drastically dropped. A similar thing happened to me, where I watched the first two seasons in a row without realizing that a large chunk of the second season wasnt up to par with the first. But watching the third season week by week was a different story altogether. Seeing three totally boring episodes in a row, all of which had absolutely nothing to do with the main plot, and no impact on the characters or overall story was tedious and frustrating.

Thats the same thing that happens to all shows that aren't heavily serialised, such as the usual cop, lawyer, doctor, etc. shows when you think about it.

At some point after the initial success the writers are faced with two decicions, elaborate on the main plot line and make it so complex no one understands anything (take lost or X files for instance) or divert into trivia to pass time. I can't think of any show to have gone on this long to escape it.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Thats the same thing that happens to all shows that aren't heavily serialised, such as the usual cop, lawyer, doctor, etc. shows when you think about it.

At some point after the initial success the writers are faced with two decicions, elaborate on the main plot line and make it so complex no one understands anything (take lost or X files for instance) or divert into trivia to pass time. I can't think of any show to have gone on this long to escape it.

I completely agree. The series stopped being awesome when Cain died. Not that I'm a Cain fanboy but after Pegasus part 2 the series started to drift from its original concept. There were a few very good episode arcs, such as the New Caprica series but that's about it actually.

Season 3 was a disaster compared to season 1, except for the last 2-3 episodes which were quite amazing.

And Razor didn't help although this 2 hours stand alone may have introduced our final Cylon.

• 1 month later...
And Razor didn't help although this 2 hours stand alone may have introduced our final Cylon.

Who? The early hybrid version?

No. The "Razor" in question.

Dude, it's been ages since I saw season 3 or Razor. Do you really need to be cryptic?

And if you mean Starbuck, I think you're wrong (from clues and hints in the series and by the writers).

Man I hope they don't get too carried away too with the prophecy and chosen ones, it's such a, shall we say 'well worn' mechanic.

Agreed.

I want a show about robots, not religion.

The robots can turn rogue or become human or whatnot if they so desire, but let's keep the religious connotations to a minimum. In the show it's recognised that many humans believe in various gods (as well as some being atheist), which adds to the credibility of them as a society, but when they start to actually bring in supernatural phenomena it gets stupid.

I'm personally hoping Starbuck IS a Cylon, so we have a reason for all this prophecy stuff (e.g. it was her subconscious giving her hints, and she didn't rise from the dead, she just downloaded to a resurrection ship or something)

Who? The early hybrid version?

No. The "Razor" in question.

Dude, it's been ages since I saw season 3 or Razor. Do you really need to be cryptic?

And if you mean Starbuck, I think you're wrong (from clues and hints in the series and by the writers).

I meant the new girl from Razor. The cute asian looking lady that's cold as ice and dies at the end.

Also, Starbuck is NOT a cylon, she's really been to Earth and she rejoins the fleet in season four.

My wife guessed that Humans and Cylons will need to join forces in order to survive this "new" threat that is that Hybrid and his army of old Cylon models discovered in Razor.

It's probably a pretty good guess.

Kendra? No way... she had a mother who was well known (not just in her head) and when the hybrid is talking to her, he alludes to the fifth Cylon, and it doesn't seem to be her. Plus she's currently working on other projects like Life on Mars.

Is it possible that the final five are all human/Cylon hybrids like Hera & Nick? It'd explain why they are immune to that earth rat virus for example, as well as the issue of having history and parents.

I reckon the centurions will turn on the humanoid Cylons for the very same reason the Cylons turned on the humans.

There's a lot against Starbuck as a Cylon, I agree. But there's also a lot against any of the other 4 as Cylons, too. I mean Tigh? C'mon! Still, how did she come back? According to the shows' creator, she did die.

Heck, really, Tigh was a soldier in the first Cylon War when the basic work model was all that existed and rebelled. How exactly is he a Cylon?

Hmm, it's all getting too mystical and religious for me.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_Destiny

Edited by Krezack